Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ESB liable for UCC flooding damages due to dam management

Options
  • 08-07-2020 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭

I must say , I'm quite interested and a bit surprised by the findings of the judges here.

Basically they are saying that if the hydro dams were not there UCC would have flooded just as bad or maybe worse.
    They say that as the forecast was for wet weather and that
    by releasing water earlier to cope with very heavy rain forecast, the ESB may well have flooded UCC and Cork city to some degree which, on the evidence, would have been less than the major flood ultimately caused

Which begs the question, what if they had done exactly that, caused some flooding and consequent damage to UCC and the rain subsequently passed to the north or south instead? The judges here are making the assumption that forecasting rain tracks is an exact and predictable science.

What do you guys think?

Link to the article - https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/esb-may-face-huge-damages-bill-as-supreme-court-finds-it-negligent-over-2009-ucc-flooding-1009944.html

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Supercell wrote: »
    I must say , I'm quite interested and a bit surprised by the findings of the judges here.

Basically they are saying that if the hydro dams were not there UCC would have flooded just as bad or maybe worse.
    They say that as the forecast was for wet weather and that

Which begs the question, what if they had done exactly that, caused some flooding and consequent damage to UCC and the rain subsequently passed to the north or south instead? The judges here are making the assumption that forecasting rain tracks is an exact and predictable science.

What do you guys think?

Link to the article - https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/esb-may-face-huge-damages-bill-as-supreme-court-finds-it-negligent-over-2009-ucc-flooding-1009944.html

Happens every year on the Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

If they didn't release the water and the rain had a direct hit the outcome would have been worse (or that's what is suggested?). So a decision was made on the time with the pedictions at that time.

Similar arguments have been made with forrest fires in USA, where wind predictions changed and controlled burns carried out on the basis of weather predictions were not required but ended in unnecessary damaged private/public property.

My take on it seems to be that we know the predictions change change, but we must act on what we have. If the prediction change then we can't hold the non experts responsible. ie ESB rely on MET E, they acted on MET E predictions, holding ESB accountable for an error in weather prediction accidental or otherwise by MET E seems illogical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I remember at the time though there was crazy rain forecast.
    And the ESB opened the Dam at high tide, the radios had been ALL day warning people that high tide was the time to watch, and at that time the Dams had to be released.
    A more controlled release, earlier in the day, would have meant less flooding?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Happens every year on the Shannon

Not mention the near total destruction of the Salmon and Eel fisheries there by same crowd :mad:

Advertisement