Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need advice about plasma

Options
  • 09-07-2020 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

Are they any good , do they even make them anymore ? I was considering buying a second hand one but would I be better off getting a led or lcd etc

Thanks In advance

Comments

What are looking for in a tv?
    I've an oled and love it but I won't dare game on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

What are looking for in a tv?
    I've an oled and love it but I won't dare game on it!

Just for the sitting room , mostly Netflix and tv but possibly some gaming too. My main issue with the Samsung plasma is that it’s probably like 8-9 years old , would I be correct ?

Why wouldn’t you game on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

my 12 yr old plasma is still as good as new. i rekon id need to go Oled to get as good or better picture but they’re still 55” or larger?
    however id be slow to buy a used plasma. they stopped making them 6+ yrs ago.
    if theyve been abused they can have burn in issues.
    plus they have to be kept vertical for transportation.

bbbbb wrote: »
    my 12 yr old plasma is still as good as new. i rekon id need to go Oled to get as good or better picture but they’re still 55” or larger?
    however id be slow to buy a used plasma. they stopped making them 6+ yrs ago.
    if theyve been abused they can have burn in issues.
    plus they have to be kept vertical for transportation.

Ya that’s my main issue the fact that it’s probably 9 years old. The particular model I’m looking at was made in 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭micks_address

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Ya that’s my main issue the fact that it’s probably 9 years old. The particular model I’m looking at was made in 2011

I'd stay clear to be honest.. best thing about plasma was its black level. A ten year old one will have a lot of hours, could have burn in issues and is likely to have lost some of its black level... Maybe if it's low money and low hours (which you can usually check) and no burn in might be worth a shout. Panasonic probably were the last decent ones back in 2015.

• Advertisement

I'd stay clear to be honest.. best thing about plasma was its black level. A ten year old one will have a lot of hours, could have burn in issues and is likely to have lost some of its black level... Maybe if it's low money and low hours (which you can usually check) and no burn in might be worth a shout. Panasonic probably were the last decent ones back in 2015.

Tbh I was kind of hoping I’d get turned off the idea in this thread for some reason. It’s a Samsung 55inch for 250€ but looking on Argos there’s LG 43inch smart 4K for 339 might be a better shout

Tbh I was kind of hoping I’d get turned off the idea in this thread for some reason. It’s a Samsung 55inch for 250€ but looking on Argos there’s LG 43inch smart 4K for 339 might be a better shout

Give the lads in richer sounds a shout. Have a forum here. They'd price match and usually six year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've 2 plasmas a 55 pioneer kuro 500a and 65 Panasonic, the picture is fantastic even compared with new screens.

What one are you looking thinking of, if it's a Kuro at the right money with speakers you'll go well to best it without spending thousands.

I've 2 plasmas a 55 pioneer kuro 500a and 65 Panasonic, the picture is fantastic even compared with new screens.

What one are you looking thinking of, if it's a Kuro at the right money with speakers you'll go well to best it without spending thousands.

It’s a Samsung 55inch, I have a habit of pausing games/films for hours though and I hear that’s not great for plasmas ?

Give the lads in richer sounds a shout. Have a forum here. They'd price match and usually six year warranty.

Yes might have a look with them , what kind of delivery times to the republic are we talking ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What Samsung? as far as I know they didn't make anything compariable to the Pioneer or Panasonic there on a different level.

Is it cheap?

Yes might have a look with them , what kind of delivery times to the republic are we talking ?

Usually next day ... It's been a while since I ordered

What Samsung? as far as I know they didn't make anything compariable to the Pioneer or Panasonic there on a different level.

Is it cheap?

Bn64 01015A

It’s 250 , could get a brand new smart 4K for not much extra so that reason is turning me off

Usually next day ... It's been a while since I ordered

Ok cheers man

Oled has a higher chance of burn.
    Super slim panels and fantastic black levels.
    Fairly pricy though. My 65" was 1800 and that was "last year's" model.
    You won't 4k and smart features on an old used one but a Chromecast would go a long way .
    I got stung with my panisonic tv,apps no longer supported etc
    LG magic remote is very cool.

Oled has a higher chance of burn.
    Super slim panels and fantastic black levels.
    Fairly pricy though. My 65" was 1800 and that was "last year's" model.
    You won't 4k and smart features on an old used one but a Chromecast would go a long way .
    I got stung with my panisonic tv,apps no longer supported etc
    LG magic remote is very cool.

I’ll prob just go with LED OR 4k , don’t want to spend too much as it’s a second tv. I alrwsdy have a 50 inch LG LEd and I’m happy out with it for Netflix and gaming, this one will be used for sky mostly and Netflix. What the magic remote ?

Hisense 50 Inch H50B7300UK

What do ye make of this tv?

Is hisense a good make ive never heard of it

Advertisement