Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Westport

• 09-07-2020 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

Joining the stay at home holiday gang and venturing out of Cork ! Heading to Westport , haven’t been before, any golf recommendations for two of us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

It's a great place to go for a weekend. If you haven't done Croagh Patrick go for it. It's as straightforward a climb as you can do, you can't really get lost, very manageable but still a good walk and the views are beautiful.

Great pubs too, but they probably won't be open.

I think I ate in a place called sage when I was there and another called Cian's. Top notch food in both.

Can't help on the golf though, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Probably Westport & Ballinrobe(30 min drive) or else Mulranny which is a 9 hole but I have heard good things.

Another option is Connemara but it’s a bit of a trek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Yes played them. Westport is grand, plenty long and a few tough holes but very open and not really that interesting. Ballinrobe is smaller and grand too. Either well worth playing though but you wouldnt be rushing back or recommending going out of your way to play them. Play Mulranny too. Give it a skip. In fairness its impressive that a little village has its own course like that but its not really a genuine golf course, just a few holes layed out on some scrub land with sheep cutting the grass (you have to go through gates to get to each green). If you had a holiday house there it would keep your kids entertained learning the game kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Carne is about an hour from Westport.

So is Enniscrone.

Obviously the wrong direction from Cork, but as it’s nearly half an hour out to Mulraney, if I was you getting in the car, I’d bucket list a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Yes played them. Westport is grand, plenty long and a few tough holes but very open and not really that interesting. Ballinrobe is smaller and grand too. Either well worth playing though but you wouldnt be rushing back or recommending going out of your way to play them. Play Mulranny too. Give it a skip. In fairness its impressive that a little village has its own course like that but its not really a genuine golf course, just a few holes layed out on some scrub land with sheep cutting the grass (you have to go through gates to get to each green). If you had a holiday house there it would keep your kids entertained learning the game kind of thing.

As this poster said. 2 nice courses, few challenging holes on each. Castlebar is another parkland that fits into the above grouping. If u want a challenge and some great memories Carne or Enniscrone are the 2 to look towards..enjoy Westport not sure what's opening with the current restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

MorganIRL wrote: »
    As this poster said. 2 nice courses, few challenging holes on each. Castlebar is another parkland that fits into the above grouping. If u want a challenge and some great memories Carne or Enniscrone are the 2 to look towards..enjoy Westport not sure what's opening with the current restrictions.

Agree with this. Prefer Ballinrobe to Westport. If you can afford the hour+ drive to Carne,it's a cut above the rest. Enniscrone about the same distance too but I'd opt for Carne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Agree with this. Prefer Ballinrobe to Westport. If you can afford the hour+ drive to Carne,it's a cut above the rest. Enniscrone about the same distance too but I'd opt for Carne.

Played them too and do love Enniscrone a lot. Carne fun but a little bit too much of a wild mountains roller coaster. Enniscrone is class. Dont think it gets the credit it deserved since it added the new holes twenty year ago or whatever. Quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Played them too and do love Enniscrone a lot. Carne fun but a little bit too much of a wild mountains roller coaster. Enniscrone is class. Dont think it gets the credit it deserved since it added the new holes twenty year ago or whatever. Quality.

Enniscrone is a quality course and just up the road from the home house. Would play it a couple of times a year. As a one off though I'd go for the wild mountain rollercoaster, it's just that bit more spectacular. I'd happily play either. if only they do so something about the gale force Atlantic winds,it doesn't suit my game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

blue note wrote: »
    It's a great place to go for a weekend. If you haven't done Croagh Patrick go for it. It's as straightforward a climb as you can do, you can't really get lost, very manageable but still a good walk and the views are beautiful.

Great pubs too, but they probably won't be open.

I think I ate in a place called sage when I was there and another called Cian's. Top notch food in both.

Can't help on the golf though, sorry!

2 very good recommendations on the food front.

Re the Pubs, they were hopping last weekend. So much so that there'll probably won't be again for a few weeks as it caused a bit of a stir.

On the golf, 1. Ballinrobe 2. Westport 3. Castlebar would be my order if staying in Westport and were focusing on the social side of things more than the golf. If OP is really into golf then take the trip to Carne! 1hr is a bit ambitious though, 1.15 each way probably more realistic.

Mulranny an option if you want a nice walk on the beach following by a unique 9 hole flat links. A bite to eat in Nevins after always goes down well. There's a very nice hotel there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

PARlance wrote: »
    2 very good recommendations on the food front.

Re the Pubs, they were hopping last weekend. So much so that there'll probably won't be again for a few weeks as it caused a bit of a stir.

On the golf, 1. Ballinrobe 2. Westport 3. Castlebar would be my order if staying in Westport and were focusing on the social side of things more than the golf. If OP is really into golf then take the trip to Carne! 1hr is a bit ambitious though, 1.15 each way probably more realistic.

Mulranny an option if you want a nice walk on the beach following by a unique 9 hole flat links. A bite to eat in Nevins after always goes down well. There's a very nice hotel there as well.

Which pubs were hopping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

HBC08 wrote: »
    Which pubs were hopping?

Not my place or the place for naming and shaming pubs but you could find out if you ask around in person. There were pubs that don't and weren't serving food open for e.g.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Heading up next wknd (not for golf). Hope the pubs will be busy. Last time i was up there we went to Mc Gings bar great spot hope its opened and busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Thanks for all the great replies . We couldn't decide so we have abandoned Westport, we will base ourselves in Ballina and RESULT .. play both courses . So looking forward to both. They look treacherous and magnificent. Plenty of balls required ( loving my new seed balls ) thanks again guys. Fingers crossed for decent weather

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

You'll thoroughly enjoy both. Course in ballina also is a parkland, it will be easier to play if a hangover happens. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Life member in carne here. Go once and you will go back. Honestly, it's incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Just to say we had a fantastic few days away. we played Enniscrone and Carne. Loved them both. Weather wise we were haunted with blue skies both days , good stiff breeze but not a hurricane either . ( Wed and Fri ) I really can't decide which of them I preferred both so different and equally wonderful. If I was to be nit picking I think Carne could do with a few " next hole signs" we added on good few extra treks going the wrong way and met a few others in search of their next teebox too. But as I say, loved them both .. played with the same Ball for both rounds too !!!

Advertisement