Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf Breaks Ireland

• 29-06-2020 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi All,

Usually me and the lads go away on a golf trip / pissup in September. We were looking at going over to the west coast this year. group of 8-10. None of us have really played over there and were looking for recommendations of course that we would be able to play on a Saturday afternoon. Green fees would probably max out at 50/60 quid.

any tips welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Myleftpeg wrote: »
    Hi All,

Usually me and the lads go away on a golf trip / pissup in September. We were looking at going over to the west coast this year. group of 8-10. None of us have really played over there and were looking for recommendations of course that we would be able to play on a Saturday afternoon. Green fees would probably max out at 50/60 quid.

any tips welcome.

Thanks

Westport good town for the pissup and decent course.
    Or Galway and play Galway Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭JoeCole26

I would recommend Westport also. Myself and 15 lads do a similar trip each year and we stayed in Westport and played golf in Castlebar golf club A few years back. Westport great wee town with some lovely pubs for a nice pint of Guinness and Castlebar golf club was decent. I know they were doing course renovations this time last year but I’d imagine they are finished now. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Hi All,

any tips welcome.

Thanks

Sligo to stay.

Co Sligo, Strandhill, Enniscrone, to play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Enniscrone is a cracking weekend away.

I’m so thinking that without major night spots open, the difference between a night out in a small town and a large town could be very little. Rossapenna will tick nearly all your boxes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

thewobbler wrote: »
    Sligo to stay.

Co Sligo, Strandhill, Enniscrone, to play.

A group of us are playing Enniscrone and Rosses Point in August. Green fees are €120 for both. Staying in the Yeats Country Hotel, across the road from the golf club in Rosses Point.

fearruanua wrote: »
    A group of us are playing Enniscrone and Rosses Point in August. Green fees are €120 for both. Staying in the Yeats Country Hotel, across the road from the golf club in Rosses Point.

You will never get a better location for a golf hotel than Yeats. I don’t have any other positives for the place, but it is only a well struck putter from a wonderful course.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    I would recommend Westport also. Myself and 15 lads do a similar trip each year and we stayed in Westport and played golf in Castlebar golf club A few years back. Westport great wee town with some lovely pubs for a nice pint of Guinness and Castlebar golf club was decent. I know they were doing course renovations this time last year but I’d imagine they are finished now. Enjoy.

Course not finished yet but it should be by September. You did right by not staying in Castlebar, Westport is definitely the place to stay for nightlife. Assuming you couldn't get out in Westport GC at the time, for the OP: if staying in Westport I would be playing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Yeats looks to be an ideal location alright. Just have to battle with prices that seem excessive to my eyes for accommodation considering what you can often find out foreign

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Myleftpeg

Thanks all will for sure check the Sligo and Westport areas.

Rossapenna will be reserved for non pissup weekends as I want to really enjoy that place

• Advertisement

Thanks all will for sure check the Sligo and Westport areas.

Rossapenna will be reserved for non pissup weekends as I want to really enjoy that place

If it's more about the booze than the golf, it would put Westport miles ahead. A hangover wouldn't be ideal for Enniscrone, Rosses or Strandhill. Westport won't batter you up like links golf can. Also Westport town much handier for pubs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I presume that's €120 in total for both as opposed to €120 each! I'd be surprised if there aren't even better deals to be had in both right now.

Open Week in Rosses Point runs from 01-Aug to 09-Aug

Competition Name Format Date Green Fee
    Open Week Gents and Ladies 4-Person Team Saturday Visitors €50.00
    01-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Gents Singles Stroke Sunday Visitors €50.00
    02-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Ladies Singles Stableford Monday Visitors €50.00
    03-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Gents Singles Stableford Monday Visitors €50.00
    03-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Ladies Singles Stableford Tuesday Visitors €50.00
    04-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Gents Singles V-Par Wednesday Visitors €50.00
    05-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Ladies Foursomes Stableford Thursday Visitors €40.00
    06-Aug-20 Members €5.00
    Open Week Gents Foursomes Stableford Thursday Visitors €40.00
    06-Aug-20 Members €5.00
    Open Week Ladies Singles Stableford Friday Visitors €50.00
    07-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Gents Singles Stableford Friday Visitors €50.00
    07-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Gents Four Ball Betterball Saturday Visitors €50.00
    08-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Ladies Four Ball Betterball Saturday Visitors €50.00
    08-Aug-20 Members €6.00
    Open Week Gents Singles Stableford Sunday Visitors €50.00
    09-Aug-20 Members €6.00

I presume that's €120 in total for both as opposed to €120 each! I'd be surprised if there aren't even better deals to be had in both right now.

Yeah €120 is the total green fees for both courses. Not sure of the breakdown. €70/€50 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

We've just booked a trip for 8 to Bundoran in September. 3 nights B&B, an evening meal and 3 rounds of golf in Murvagh, Bundoran and the Faldo in lough erne for €300. There's great value in hotels to be had at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

I've booked to go to Donegal next week with 4 mates. Awkward number, but what harm.

Playing Narin on the Wednesday, Portsalon on the Thursday and possibly 9 holes in Cruit before coming home on Friday. I can't friggin wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Myself and 5 others are going to Enniscrone Sunday week for our annual trip, cannot wait.
    Enniscrone day one, Strandhill day two, Enniscrone again day three and then we head to Glasson that evening for an overnight and play Glasson Thurs before coming home.

Enniscrone is a great place to stay, although obviously not a big town. Some magic pubs, great food and plenty of accommodation with one of the best links in the country. Ballina is only ten minutes away if you fancy a change of scenery one of the nights too.

We got exceptional value, thanks to a great organiser and two of our group being country members in Enniscrone.

This will be my 6th year going, and it's always a highlight. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We've just booked a trip for 8 to Bundoran in September. 3 nights B&B, an evening meal and 3 rounds of golf in Murvagh, Bundoran and the Faldo in lough erne for €300. There's great value in hotels to be had at the minute

Super stuff, was that all individual bookings or some deal offer somewhere?
    Watch the back 9 in Murvagh and the Faldo will chew you up, I'm a decent putter but hard to come off there without lots of 3 putts or even a 4 putt if you go aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

JCDUB wrote: »
    Myself and 5 others are going to Enniscrone Sunday week for our annual trip, cannot wait.
    Enniscrone day one, Strandhill day two, Enniscrone again day three and then we head to Glasson that evening for an overnight and play Glasson Thurs before coming home.

Enniscrone is a great place to stay, although obviously not a big town. Some magic pubs, great food and plenty of accommodation with one of the best links in the country. Ballina is only ten minutes away if you fancy a change of scenery one of the nights too.

We got exceptional value, thanks to a great organiser and two of our group being country members in Enniscrone.

This will be my 6th year going, and it's always a highlight. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Hi there, myself and a friend are doing Enniscrone/ Carne double header over a weekend at the end of the month, I've booked us a place in Ballina. Any specific reason you prefer to stay in Enniscrone? Any tips would be great, I can still cancel my place if you can convince me! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Hi there, myself and a friend are doing Enniscrone/ Carne double header over a weekend at the end of the month, I've booked us a place in Ballina. Any specific reason you prefer to stay in Enniscrone? Any tips would be great, I can still cancel my place if you can convince me! Thanks

Hey.
    We choose Enniscrone as it's very accessible, everywhere is walkable, and the pubs are great craic, but also homely, and there's lovely food.
    At the crossroads in town there's a great traditional "spit and sawdust" bar, a nice gastropub and another pub with a more up market (and pricier) restaurant downstairs, all within a long putt of each other.
    Also a walk on the beach is stunning and the seaweed baths are magic for replenishing after being up and down dunes and having the craic in the bars the night before, if that's your thing.
    I personally haven't stayed in Ballina but I'm sure it has these type of places too.
    However I find Enniscrone to be friendly and welcoming. I've often headed to the pub while waiting for pals to shower etc, knowing there'll be a chat and a bit of craic with a few strangers. It's that kind of town.
    Wherever you go, you'll have a great time.
    Just be prepared for the drive to Carne and back, it's like a trans-atlantic flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

If you want a wife ballina is your spot. The women come down from the hills and sniff you out. We were lucky to get out alive from one pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Great stuff guys thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Carne is worth the trek. Most incredible and spectacular course. Combine it with Enniscrone and you have a couple of days great golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Compiled a list of some of the best courses in each county. I probably missed a few but might help if trying to organise a day trip or break away

Antrim - Royal Belfast, Galgorm, Bolivor Park, Malone.
    Armagh - Armagh Portadown
    Carlow- Mount Wosley, Carlow.
    Cavan -Slieve Russell, Farnham Estate, cavan, Beltubret
    Clare -Lahinch, Doonbeg
    Cork -Fota, Castlemartyr, Blarney, Cork, Douglas, Old Head
    Derry- Castlerock, Portstewart
    Donegal - Rosapenna, Portsalon,Donegal, Ballyliffin, Narin + Portnoo, Cruit (9)
    Down - RCD, Ardglass, Royal Portrush
    Dublin - Castleknock, Balbriggin, Laytown Bettystown, St. Margaret's, St. Anne's, Dun Laoghaire, Grange, Castle, Hermitage, Luttrellstown, Portmarnock, Royal Dublin, The Island, Corballis, Roganstown
    Fermanagh- Lough Erne, Enniskillen
    Galway - Galway Bay, Moyola Park, Seapoint, Hereford Old+ New, Galway, Connemara, Glasson, Portumna
    Kerry - Killarney, Dingle, Hogs Head, Dooks, Waterville, Ballybunion, Tralee
    Kildare - Curragh, Naas, Moyvalley, Palmerstown, K Club, Carton House
    Kilkenny- Mount Juliet, Gowran Pk, Kilkenny
    Laois - Heritage, Portarlington, Rathdowney
    Leitrim - Ballinamore, Carrick-on-Shannon
    Limerick- Castletroy, Dromoland Castle, Adare, Adare Manor, Shannon
    Longford - Co. Longford
    Louth - Dundalk, Co. Louth
    Mayo - Westport, Castlebar, Ballinrobe, Carne, North West
    Meath - Knightsbrook, Co.Meath, Royal, Killeen Castle, Tara, Blackbush
    Monaghan - Concra Woods
    Offaly - Tullamore, Esker Hills, Birr
    Roscommon - Roscommon, Strokes town, Athlone
    Sligo - Sligo, Strandhill, Enniscrone, Rosses Point
    Tipperary - Dundrum, Thurles
    Tyrone - Omagh, Dungannon, Strabane, Aughnacloy
    Waterford - Faithlegg, Tramore, Waterford, Dunmore east
    Westmeath - Mullingar, New Forrest
    Wicklow -Druids Heath/Glen, Powerscourt, Wicklow, European, Arklow, Mcreddin, Woodenbridge, Blessington Lakes, Tulferris, Rathsallagh, Coolattin
    Wexford - Bunclody, Rosslare

When I get to a computer I'll try do it into a table

• Registered Users Posts: 20,713 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Good one - would never have dreamt of Lough Erne on a Bundoran trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

It's on the way home back to Dublin. Played it once before and can't wait to get back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Four of us looking for a weekend away, end of August/September.

Galway is looking like the likely destination, but open to other places in the west with a good nightlife. Ideally looking at green fees of ~€50.

At the moment, Galway Bay is looking the best. Looks a beautiful course.

Very good trip Fix!

https://www.donegalgolfclub.ie/visitors/lough_erne_links_challenge/

Lough Erne Links Challenge, €155 for Murvagh, Narin & Portnoo, Lough Erne over 3 days. It's a long way from Tipperary as well :)

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Four of us looking for a weekend away, end of August/September.

Galway is looking like the likely destination, but open to other places in the west with a good nightlife. Ideally looking at green fees of ~€50.

At the moment, Galway Bay is looking the best. Looks a beautiful course.

Class track but tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Class track but tough.

Luckily we won't be bracing it hungover as we'll be playing before any form of drinking begins :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Compiled a list of some of the best courses in each county. I probably missed a few but might help if trying to organise a day trip or break away

Tipperary - Dundrum, Thurles

Ballykisteen a LOT stronger than Thurles

Advertisement