Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone switched from 24hr power rate to day/night metre

• 05-07-2020 8:12pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Picking up our new EV tomorrow and home charger should be installed in the next few weeks.

We use standard 24 hour power rate at the moment.

Given we use power throughout the day and will only be charging the car once a week on average at home we're thinking its not worth paying more on day rate powee to save a bit in the evening.

Has anyone switched to day/night rates when they installed a homd charger?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Most people with EV's switch to night rate.

Rough rule of thumb is that if you use 3 units a night, on average, it pays to switch to night rate.

So, when you say you will be charging the car once a week... what size battery is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

got to consider not many work from home now so benefits may not be there, people could be actually worse off have a night rate especially if they don't charge car regularly ie every night.
    I know in my setup i'd be worse off.

Its simple enough really... just get a monitor that tracks your usage or manually check your meter at the start and end of night rate..... if its alot more than 3 units per day you should be on night rate. If its around 3 units its not worth it as thats just the break even point.

But just for some context.... if someone has a 64kWh EV and they are charging that from say, 10%, once a week... thats an average of 9 units a night!! So, even charging that car once a week justifies night rate by many multiples.

If you dont do much driving then it might not be worth it.... tracking your usage is the only way to tell.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I switched to day/night about 3 weeks before collecting our EV.

Since then, all dishwasher washes are programmed to run after midnight (or 11pm before the clocks changed), and all washing machine washes are programmed to start at around 7:30am (so the clothes are not sitting in the machine wet for hours).

For a good 2 months we were doing little driving, so little charging (perhaps once every 5-6 days), but that’s increased slightly the last few weeks.

Both of us work from home (4 computers on 5 monitors)

Definitely was worth moving to dual rate for us.

Last reading I took about a week ago below (this is usage since installation of dual meter on Feb 18th)

Day: 963kWh
    Night: 1,185kWh

55% of total usage is on night rate, and they say anything above 33% makes it worth while.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes. It is still advantageous for us, even with us both being coffeeaholics and working from home.
    Everything runs at night , dishwasher, dryer, washing machine etc. Saves money even with minimal charging of the car ( quick top up 1 or 2 nights a week max)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

Just the usual reminder to people (myself included) who run electrical appliances like washing machines and dishwashers at night that it's a fire risk. Make sure any doors between you and them are closed fully and that you have a working (regularly tested!) smoke alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I have just switched, waiting for night meter to be installed. Which reminds me I should ring ESB regarding the install.

I hadn't switched in years, I know I know, you should switch every year.
    I was on a budget plan with Airtricty and the 24hr rate was 19.83c.

Switched to Energia, Airtricity came back with 26% discount. So stayed with them and cancelled Energia.
    New rate is 15.29c for 24hr

When night meter gets installed its 16.31c for day and 8.07c for night.
    Standing charge is €180 for 24hr and €232 for day/night.

Looking forward to next bill.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm telling ya...

The Christmas Ham is going in the (electric) oven at 11pm on Christmas Eve, and the Turkey is going in about 5am the following morning!!

..but since changing to day/night rate, I'm finding myself trying to do more like getting coffee's and toast made before 9am etc...
    It's like a challenge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Is it usually free to get a meter changed to night rate - I am with Bord Gais, I will reach out to them now to see what the story is. Lining up a PHEV in a couple of months so all helps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭eagerv

I also changed from 24hr to day/night rate about 3 months ago, but unfortunately new meter only installed when lockdown was eased recently.
    So unable to quantify savings yet. Only charging Ioniq atm but will be two car EV family when ID.3 arrives whenever.
    On Energia, 15.43C/7.4C. Will go up to 17.11C/8.33C if go over 5000kWh. All incl VAT.
    I expect good savings, like many our dishwasher etc is set to come on during cheap rates.
    AFAIK rates came down slightly after we did deal.

• Advertisement

eagerv wrote: »
    On Energia, 15.43C/7.4C. Will go up to 17.11C/8.33C if go over 5000kWh.

3000kWh at night, I think?

I have actually gone over that a few times and they do charge the extra in the bill. You can be creative with your meter reading submissions if you like! ;)

KCross wrote: »
    3000kWh at night, I think?

I have actually gone over that a few times and they do charge the extra in the bill. You can be creative with your meter reading submissions if you like! ;)

I thought the same, but the missus who did all the dealing (Over phone) said she agreed a 5000kWh total usage at the lower rates. Anyway our house is fairly efficient so don't expect to go over by much if any.
    Also have to use up the free Ionity with the ID.3.:)

I thought the same, but the missus who did all the dealing (Over phone) said she agreed a 5000kWh total usage at the lower rates. Anyway our house is fairly efficient so don't expect to go over by much if any.
    Also have to use up the free Ionity with the ID.3.:)

It’s 2000 by day and 3000 by night so that’s where the 5000 comes from but if you are under 5000 overall but over 3000 by night you will pay the higher rate for the ones that are over 3000. Hope that makes sense... it’s in the fine print.

It’s 2000 by day and 3000 by night so that’s where the 5000 comes from but if you are under 5000 overall but over 3000 by night you will pay the higher rate for the ones that are over 3000. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, makes sense, we will not go into the higher rate by much if any.
    Just a pain in the ass having to go to changing around every year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

We changed to day / night rate the week after i got my car and to be honest, i think its costing us more. Got a great deal on night rates with Airtricity but we use our dishwasher during the day - we had one go on fire before and only we were in the house it could have been horriffic. Washing maching goes on at night though and we don't use a dryer. No immerison as we have solar pv so plenty of hot water.
    I am still charging at work as much as i can and with working at home (work in office 2 days and home 3 days) I'm not charging as much but even before lockdown, our bills we high. Must look into it better when i have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭rx8

Phoned Energia this morning to change to Night rate meter and she said how does next Thursday morning suit?
    I thought that it would be weeks or even months before I got it done.
    Also, my yearly contract runs out in September so I'm free to change providers then if I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭ei9go

It’s 2000 by day and 3000 by night so that’s where the 5000 comes from but if you are under 5000 overall but over 3000 by night you will pay the higher rate for the ones that are over 3000. Hope that makes sense... it’s in the fine print.

Is this not per billing period.

"Rates advertised for Energia NightSaver customers apply to the first 3,000 day units and 2,000 night units per bi-monthly billing cycle." source: Bonkers.ie

ei9go wrote: »
    Is this not per billing period.

"Rates advertised for Energia NightSaver customers apply to the first 3,000 day units and 2,000 night units per bi-monthly billing cycle." source: Bonkers.ie

Yes, per 2 month billing period.

Yes, per 2 month billing period.

That's good then, one less thing to think about when we get our second EV. I thought it was per year, which probably would have been nearly enough for us anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

That's good then, one less thing to think about when we get our second EV. I thought it was per year, which probably would have been nearly enough for us anyway.

Same here, makes more sense now. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Checked with BordGais and it seems its free to change, but a fee (170ish) to change back.They advised to take meter readings first to ensure that at least 25% of your usage is at night. I guess when I get the Phev is should be, but for now I could start to change my behavior with Appliances like dishwasher/washing machine etc

Day unit rate: 14.25 Ex VAT (Cent per kWh)
    Night unit rate: 7.06 Ex VAT (Cent per kWh)

My current 24hr rate is 18.50 cent/kWh ( with a 25% discount)

Advertisement