Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you make any assumptions based on the brand someone uses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

If you're wearing NorthFace and you're not about to climb Everest then you have bag loads of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

EmptyTree wrote: »
    If you're wearing NorthFace and you're not about to climb Everest then you have bag loads of money.

I wear some north face gear when hiking. But I’m not about to climb Everest. And I don’t have bag loads of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,783 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I like a lot of Superdrys stuff, the latest range of jackets are really nice. They design nice stuff, hard wearing and long lasting too but have copped on that emblazoning SUPERDRY all down the sleeve or across the back was putting people off, it’s on a couple of hoodies still but the jackets look great..

https://www.superdry.com/mens/sale-jackets

North face I always found bland and not great value for money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I had a superdry coat once that was really poor quality so wouldn't buy them again. Company wasn't interested either.

People with Hollister emblazoned on themselves. I just assume they are a bit dim. Not a brand you see too much anymore tbf

tim3000 wrote: »
    You are right.. Probably

That deserved so much more kudos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I am in total sympathy with those of you who think Canada Goose parkas are bollocks. No need for them in Dublin or Paris or London where they sell like hot cakes. They are total overkill in your climate, and designwise are atrocious. There are plenty more Canadian companies doing more affordable and more stylish winter gear. A full down parka is even warm for most winter days unless you are out in our more brutal weather for a good stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Any really wealthy people I know wouldn’t be seen dead in any outwardly branded clothes.. nearly all dress very well, personal shoppers etc but damned if I know half the designers they talk about.. once a coat/ brand hits main stream, you can guarantee anyone with actual money wouldn’t be seen dead in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

The logo thing, apart from a few brands started in earnest in the mid to late seventies until progressively, most desigmers had some ready to wear stuff with some kind of logotype branding on the apparel. Some designers used visual cues like Versace's baroque type prints as a recognizable identity. I can't agree with the idea that rich people wouldn't be seen dead in those clothes. A lot of rich people have dire taste. The strategy for someone who has no discernment in dress, is to buy an easily recognizable brand that will shout they have money or that they have spent a lot.

The tattoo craze that has blossomed from this is just another level of this lack of discernement transferred on the actual body. Ours is a culture of science fiction film buffs and video game addicts adapting their fantasies to the actual landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

limnam wrote: »
    Craft beer bore? :D

Nah

I drink the European sh1t...like Heineken or Spaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Football jerseys in public. Grow the fcuk up you twelve year old. If you need to be part of a tribe, join the army.

Grey Tracksuit bottoms in public as well is a sign that life is too easy for you and you are happy to lazy your way through it.

People who ride bikes without helmets. Drug mules. I wear mine cycling not so for safety but so people won't confuse me with one of those low level gangsters dispatching drugs around the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

People who ride bikes without helmets. Drug mules. I wear mine cycling not so for safety but so people won't confuse me with one of those low level gangsters dispatching drugs around the estate.

......some people are just fcuking nuts, fcuking hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Whisht. If you thought the Android vs Apple nonsense was a massive buzzkill just wait till the "cycle helmets are actually less safe" brigade roll in to crash the thread/ "destroy you with facts and logic".
    Hopefully they didn't hear you as they're too busy huffing and puffing up Howth hill on a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Whisht. If you thought the Android vs Apple nonsense was a massive buzzkill just wait till the "cycle helmets are actually less safe" brigade roll in to crash the thread/ "destroy you with facts and logic".
    Hopefully they didn't hear you as they're too busy huffing and puffing up Howth hill on a Sunday morning.

I’d doubt any serious cyclist would think that. At least I hope no serious cyclist thinks that.

I’m involved with an annual charity event that involves about 1500km of cycling over a few days. None of the lads involved would think of hitting the road without their helmets

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have not seen a serious cyclist without a helmet for years. It is even increasingly unusual to see casual cyclists (outside of Dublin bikes) cycling without one. Strange comment tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

CrankyHaus wrote: »

How many people you saw, the serious cyclists , going up Howth without a helmet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Celtic jersey on the street = knacker, 99% chance they are unemployed.

Paul's boutique

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

murpho999 wrote: »
    I use Alexa, and I love it.

I can use voice to play any music I want. I can play any radio station I want.
    I have routines set up to control lights and switches.
    It's great for setting multiple timers when cooking.
    That's just a few uses.

So go away with that stupid sheep comment.

As for spying, you're right I don't care and also don't really believe it happens.
    Even so , my life is not that interesting and nor have I noticed targeted advertising based on conversations I've had.

Really, just put the tin foil hat away and let people enjoy their smart speakers.

I know someone whose job it was to ""spy"" for one of the other crowds. Loads of dubious stuff going on with Bezos and the american law enforcement crowd. There is a better way of doing these things that doesn't involve uploading sh1tloads of data to some centralised server that gets a sh1tload of law enforcement requests every day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

In any brand..if i see someone tailgating and speeding on the motorway i instantly assume they have a really low IQ and are a pretty **** person in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Celtic jersey on the street = knacker, 99% chance they are unemployed.

Paul's boutique

To be fair, Ireland has always had high numbers of unemployment due to reasons outside of the unemployed populations control yet they're constantly shamed publicly and judged for being unemployed yet there's no efforts to create job stability in certain jobs through implementing workers rights or increase job opportunities particularly outside of Dublin but I digress.

I don't tend to judge people on brands they use but when I see people que for 10 hours for a new Iphone or a pair Yeezy shoes, I lose a little bit more faith in humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Mentioned all ready but Apple - More money than sense.

Beats by Dre. Same again. It's more of a fashion accessory than quality.

And in general people that look down on brands you use because they never heard of them.

Henniken, Rockshore, Molson drinkers. Probaly ****. I don't know you and you are probably sound but yes, I'm judging you on the beer you buy cause I'm a wanker.

And in general people that look down on brands you use because they never heard of them.

Henniken, Rockshore, Molson drinkers. Probaly ****. I don't know you and you are probably sound but yes, I'm judging you on the beer you buy cause I'm a wanker.

Rockshore is fierce watery auld stuff altogether. What do you make of Beamish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Granny Smyth

I work with girls that bring a BT bag to shop and put their Penneys bags inside. Different breed altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Audi. I always assume that the owners of these vehicles will act the maggot on the road, including never indicating at roundabouts.

As well as BMW and Mercedes drivers.

And taxi drivers for that matter, but then taxis aren't exactly a brand so.. .. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Rockshore is fierce watery auld stuff altogether. What do you make of Beamish?

I can't remember having Beamish. It's been so long. So couldn't give you an reliable answer. But my hazy memory is that is alright. But very similar to Guinness which I used to enjoy a lot. But rarely drink it now.

I enjoy stout though. I enjoyed Oyster stout. It's different and more flavourful, in my opinion. Have you tried it?

I can't remember having Beamish. It's been so long. So couldn't give you an reliable answer. But my hazy memory is that is alright. But very similar to Guinness which I used to enjoy a lot. But rarely drink it now.

I enjoy stout though. I enjoyed Oyster stout. It's different and more flavourful, in my opinion. Have you tried it?

No I havn't but must give it a go. Never seen it anywhere

I know someone whose job it was to ""spy"" for one of the other crowds. Loads of dubious stuff going on with Bezos and the american law enforcement crowd. There is a better way of doing these things that doesn't involve uploading sh1tloads of data to some centralised server that gets a sh1tload of law enforcement requests every day

****loads of requests for a users playlist and Netflix favorites? Strange

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

But you forgot about BMWs:eek:

Don’t be jealous....

Jesus I hope we never meet in SuperValu. Druids and Rosie cider for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Granadino wrote: »
    I’m sure there are plenty of people out there with money driving “sh!tty” Korean cars who’d rather spend their money on more useful things.
    I can’t understand the mentality that people seem to think someone else should be impressed by the car they drive.
    A metal box with four wheels that takes you from point a to point b when you put fuel in it...:

Your above statement proves you have no interest in driving or nice cars... so just stay on a bus

Advertisement