Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One of these things be legal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The blurb lists the energy as 30ft/lbs, that's @41joules.

That is fires a bolt is outside my own knowledge but I'd err on the side of caution and assume it's illegal.

Why are you trying to find loopholes for a high energy psuedo firearm?
    Did you not also post about the Daisy?

Either get a license, or take up airsoft maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CorkScrew98989

banie01 wrote: »

That is fires a bolt is outside my own knowledge but I'd err on the side of caution and assume it's illegal.

Yeah I did i think **** like this is cool but idk if id bother going for a license seems like some hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

https://hardairmagazine.com/news/the-new-fx-ranchero-arrow-pcp-pistol/

- not a crossbow
    - dont think it has a muzzle but even if it does its at 240 fps
    - class

Would be legal?

One aspect of the Irish firearms legislation is very simple. Any device that throws a projectile with more than one Joule of energy being generated is a firearm for the purposes of the legislation. Longbows and catapults would be the exceptions because it’s your own muscle power that provides the energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

For the purpose of keeping it simple just think of it like this, if it is something you would enjoy using then you will need a licence for it, simple.

banie01 wrote: »

You can’t hunt with it and to the best of my knowledge there are no target shooting disciplines for that particular contraption so finding good reason to convince a Chief Super ( it would be a restricted short firearm ) to issue a licence are very slim.

• Advertisement

One aspect of the Irish firearms legislation is very simple. Any device that throws a projectile with more than one Joule of energy being generated is a firearm for the purposes of the legislation. Longbows and catapults would be the exceptions because it’s your own muscle power that provides the energy.

I suppose ur right got ahead of myself seeing that spearguns are legal

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

I suppose ur right got ahead of myself seeing that spearguns are legal
    If you want something similar, you could always take up archery. I’m 90% sure it isn’t regulated so you should be able to go out and buy a bow. Food for thought anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

You'll pick up a fairly cheep bow and equip yourself for hours of fun and practice. Great for the mind.

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/all-sports/archery/bows/club-bows.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

You can’t hunt with it and to the best of my knowledge there are no target shooting disciplines for that particular contraption so finding good reason to convince a Chief Super ( it would be a restricted short firearm ) to issue a licence are very slim.

Restricted short firearm - no application possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

solarwinds wrote: »
    For the purpose of keeping it simple just think of it like this, if it is something you would enjoy using then you will need a licence for it, simple.

^ THIS^:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

So why are blow guns prohibited then?:confused::confused:.After all its your lungs that are powering them.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    So why are blow guns prohibited then?:confused::confused:.After all its your lungs that are powering them.

Hmm, very valid point. The prohibited because it’s fun logic is probably more to the point.

Very true, it must be the prohibited because it’s fun logic that’s more applicable.

Daft if you think it through isn’t it ? A young lad messing in school blowing spitballs with the tube of a pen is technically doing something illegal.

Very true, it must be the prohibited because it’s fun logic that’s more applicable.

Daft if you think it through isn’t it ? A young lad messing in school blowing spitballs with the tube of a pen is technically doing something illegal.

Sex is still ok, so long as you take no pleasure in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

tudderone wrote: »
    Sex is still ok, so long as you take no pleasure in it.

At least my missus isn't breaking the law. :(:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

solarwinds wrote: »

Ain't that the fecking truth. Always assume that if you are a responsible adult who conducts themselves in a safe manor, whatever it is you want to do or own is illegal and go from there.

Even when it comes to bows, AFAIK you're limited to 30lbs draw weight, and crossbows are a no-no. There is not a shooting sport of any variety in this country that isn't unbelievably cucked and fudded into oblivion.

It's a sad state of affairs when bows/air-guns/firearms are less restricted in places like Germany and Sweden, I think we only have the UK beat.

Ain't that the fecking truth. Always assume that if you are a responsible adult who conducts themselves in a safe manor, whatever it is you want to do or own is illegal and go from there.

Even when it comes to bows, AFAIK you're limited to 30lbs draw weight, and crossbows are a no-no. There is not a shooting sport of any variety in this country that isn't unbelievably cucked and fudded into oblivion.

It's a sad state of affairs when bows/air-guns/firearms are less restricted in places like Germany and Sweden, I think we only have the UK beat.

Not really either, They still have practical shotgun, cowboy action shooting, muzzle loading/blackpowder pistol shooting, a lot more access to centrefire ranges, including military/ex military ranges, something forbidden here.

Uk can have crossbows and airguns weithout licenses for the most part

Honestly is theyre anyway we could petition for a change of laws i know the answer is no but worth the ask

Uk can have crossbows and airguns weithout licenses for the most part

Honestly is theyre anyway we could petition for a change of laws i know the answer is no but worth the ask

With the minister being more concerned about gender quotas in the workplace, she clearly doesn’t care about the real world affects of policies, just how they look. It’s probably best not to draw much attention, lest that have the opposite affect of having certain interest groups getting the notion that our firearms laws are too lenient and then demanding more guns be banned. Perhaps if a more sympathetic minister was there, but there certainly isn’t one there now.

Maybe if we got more LQGBT/alaphabet soup group members shooting,then they might leave us alone and liberalise the gun laws,as it doesnt do to go "oppressing " those folks?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Maybe if we got more LQGBT/alaphabet soup group members shooting,then they might leave us alone and liberalise the gun laws,as it doesnt do to go "oppressing " those folks?:rolleyes:

Nah you're alright, i don't fancy heading to the range to shoot along side a builders labourer in a wig, a ballgown and high heels. At work we had one of those "Today i am identifying as a female" loons, a dollop with a beard taking the slash, watching idiot managers jumping around terrified that something they did could "offend" him/her/it :rolleyes:.

Maybe if we got a letter in there for all the “shooting sexuals”, LGBTS 😂

tudderone wrote: »
    Nah you're alright, i don't fancy heading to the range to shoot along side a builders labourer in a wig, a ballgown and high heels. At work we had one of those "Today i am identifying as a female" loons, a dollop with a beard taking the slash, watching idiot managers jumping around terrified that something they did could "offend" him/her/it :rolleyes:.

He'd be proably perfectly normal in todays army :D:D

portrait-of-american-actor-jamie-farr-in-costume-as-corporal-maxwell-picture-id99881702?s=594x594

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

My thoughts are that it is not a firearm! In the sense that it doesn't discharge a projectile thus the 1joule rule is irrelevant.

However it is so closely styled on a crossbow that it would easily be considered as a crossbow, mimicking its function with a different power train.
    In the absence of a definition of a crossbow as not found in Irish law it is my opinion that it operates without a bow but could still be considered as a crossbow which is licensable under the restricted firearm rules.

Zxthinger wrote: »
    My thoughts are that it is not a firearm! In the sense that it doesn't discharge a projectile thus the 1joule rule is irrelevant.

Is the bolt not a projectile?

Zxthinger wrote: »

However it is so closely styled on a crossbow that it would easily be considered as a crossbow, mimicking its function with a different power train.
    In the absence of a definition of a crossbow as not found in Irish law it is my opinion that it operates without a bow but could still be considered as a crossbow which is licensable under the restricted firearm rules.

Again its the definition of a firearm that gets you.As it projects a missile over 1 joule,so the design creiteria falls away.

HOWEVER there is a marvellous device for sale in the US[where else?] that allows you to use a compound or recurve bow like a X bow,without it being one.Designed for the bow hunter who is gettin on in years ,or for those who dont want to shell out the price of a good rifle on a high tech/low tech toy. Or for states that dont have Xbows in their primitive weapon season.
    Called an inline draw loc made by Hickory Creek.
    Technology beats law again.

Again its the definition of a firearm that gets you.As it projects a missile over 1 joule,so the design creiteria falls away.

HOWEVER there is a marvellous device for sale in the US[where else?] that allows you to use a compound or recurve bow like a X bow,without it being one.Designed for the bow hunter who is gettin on in years ,or for those who dont want to shell out the price of a good rifle on a high tech/low tech toy. Or for states that dont have Xbows in their primitive weapon season.
    Called an inline draw loc made by Hickory Creek.
    Technology beats law again.

I think you could argue that it turns a compound bow into a crossbow and therefore might be a bit dodgy under our legislation. I know it's an arrow rest but I wouldn't like to bet my nuts on the PTB here agreeing with you.

Great idea though.

Like "assault rifles" they micht consider defining what a crossbow is in law first off.Awfultricky to legislate for something if you cant describe what you are legislating about.
    Beats me why they even bother trying to enforce this anyway.A crossbow is easier to make than even a zip gun by anyone who is a grade D Klutz in making anything in wood[That's me included in that:p]
    I mean two branches and a bit of time ,you cn make one.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Is the bolt not a projectile?

Discharge!
    It doesn't discharge. You discharge from an orific, this items casts off an arrow but doesn't discharge anything, thus was the need to specifically include crossbows in the 1990s with specific mention to them by name..
    The problem is that no definition of such an item is given.
    If you made a ballista would it be classed as a crossbow? Who knows, technically it only uses torsion from twisted ropes and has no bow or prod
    what's the difference between twisted ropes and a the elastic on a spear gun?
    Does an arrow holding aid make a compound bow into a crossbow?

Semantics can mean the difference between losing and winning

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I think you could argue that it turns a compound bow into a crossbow and therefore might be a bit dodgy under our legislation. I know it's an arrow rest but I wouldn't like to bet my nuts on the PTB here agreeing with you.

Great idea though.
    It's still not a crossbow and as the addition of this hardware does not make it a crossbow.
    Chuck Norris's films have a lot to answer for.
    We live in a land we're blow darts and Nija throwing stars are banned, ffs wtf ,( where the figures)
    How many crimes were caused by blow darts? Lol

Advertisement