Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LeVar's Walrus - The Reveal

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Top of the pack here in 1st place and getting 26 points is
    quickbeam

Eagles - Journey Of The Sorcerer ; The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

I never knew this was an Eagles song. I'm a big Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy fan and always loved the theme song, but had never looked up the full version. An absolutely epic piece of music. Nothing came close to knocking this off the top spot. Great pick. It was actually my favourite song of the entire Walrus.

We'll convert you yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Which means we have a three-way tie in first place, and means we have multiple Winners of this Walrus, who are...
    Clarabel and mustang shelly and Irish Aris

name R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 Total
    Clarabel 26 24 19 15 25 2 25 136
    mustang shelly 23 23 26 17 18 21 8 136
    Irish Aris 18 19 25 26 26 16 6 136
    Necro 25 21 17 13 23 9 23 131
    Gru 16 16 18 21 19 19 22 131
    Kolido 13 2 15 19 22 20 24 115
    Trigger 24 13 5 14 11 25 17 109
    Sawduck 14 6 23 16 17 11 21 108
    lassykk 3 10 24 20 9 24 18 108
    quickbeam 19 4 21 8 12 14 26 104
    fixXxer 21 9 20 4 2 23 21 100
    tusk 10 20 22 18 15 13 1 99
    beakerjoe 12 25 13 6 13 26 3 98
    Electric Nitwit 1 26 7 7 14 22 19 96
    Zaph 5 14 2 24 24 10 17 96
    cj maxx 17 8 6 11 20 17 15 94
    JP Liz V1 6 22 3 9 22 18 13 93
    ShaneU 8 18 16 22 8 5 12 89
    Homer J. Fong 22 5 9 23 10 8 10 87
    phatkev 15 11 14 25 5 6 5 81
    osh 11 17 10 3 7 1 14 63
    y0ssar1an22 4 7 1 5 16 15 9 57
    Rothko 20 1 4 2 4 12 11 54
    the purple tin 7 15 8 12 1 3 2 48
    RasTa 2 12 11 10 3 4 4 46
    Reberetta 9 3 12 1 6 7 7 45

I hadn't expected there to be a tie when I set 7 categories for this Walrus, but its quite fitting it should end this way seeing as Clarabel topped the overall leaderboard for Rounds 1 & 2, mustang shelly for Rounds 3 & 4, and Irish Aris for Round 5 & 6.

I had all categories ranked last week before I had input any scores into the leaderboard, and I didn't add the scores for the final round until earlier this afternoon, so didn't know it would play out this way myself. With 26 players (the most of any Walrus thus far I believe) and 7 Rounds, it was a well fought contest so a big congrats to the three winners. Well played.

Also, shout out to Gru and Necro, who both also had an impressive run and were only a few points behind the Winners.

Commiserations to those at the bottom of the table, we just weren't in sync when it came to these particular song categories unfortunately. There wasn't much separating the bottom three either, but its Reberetta who's walking away with the Wooden Spoon on this occasion.

Thanks everyone for playing, it was great having all that music to listen to. Hope you all enjoyed it and discovered (or re-discovered) some new songs along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Cheers Levar, no surprise where I finished considering I only heard of one song out of all your picks for each round

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Congrats Clara & Shelly & Irish Aris!

Nice work LeVar.

Chuffed to have come top in one of your categories. Was bricking it there at the end :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

In 12th place with 13 points is
    JP Liz V1

Sonny Rhodes - The Ballad Of Serenity ; Firefly

Browncoats unite and sing the song of our people! Love this theme and Firefly should never have been cancelled so early in its run. Tough competition for it here, but middle of the pack in this particular round is still very good going.

what a song, what a show, what a pity :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Great job LeVar

Well done LeVar, very smooth Walrus hosting there. 7 rounds with 26 contestants is no easy feat, hope you enjoyed the experience. :)

Gonna throw one last plug in for my Surlaw, for those of you with a Walrus-shaped hole in your life! It's the perfect weekend to listen to and score 20 tunes, so please do play if you haven't already:
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/113930289

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

You know I count it as a personal failure if you already know a song I submit :p
    Oh Wonder - All We Do ; Unforgotten
    Knew the song, discovered it a few years ago
    Alright, no need to rub it in :pac:
    7th and getting 19 points is
    Electric Nitwit

Oh Wonder - All We Do ; Unforgotten

Knew the song, discovered it a few years ago and absolutely love it. Never heard of Unforgotten though, so had no idea that it was a TV Theme Tune, but an excellent choice.
    Glad to hear you love it. Since entering it here I've added it to the little one's bedtime playlist so I hear it every evening and I love it more and more each time.

Unforgotten is good too, if you're curious. Slow paced, cold case detective drama with a lot of emphasis on character development. It's not spectacular though, you're not missing out!

Congrats to Clara, shelly and Aris, a fine triple whammy! :D

And fair play LeVar - that many songs in such a tight time, just an insane effort! :)
    E3RC8ND.gif

Hope you enjoyed it too. I've got a lot of catching up to do...!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Cheers LeVar, jolly good show. Highest ever finish in a Walrus too so delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Congrats to Clarabel,mustang shelly and Irish Aris and cheers to LaVar for hosting this, so many great songs were chosen

• Registered Users Posts: 30,339 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

\o/ My first walrus victory :D

Congrats to my fellow winners Clarabel and Irish Aris.

Thanks LeVar for running such a great walrus and in particular, well done on getting through all of those songs in such a short time. :)

I can't help but wonder if I went with the wrong theme and if The Dandy Warhols' We Used To Be Friends would score higher than Love Split Love.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Well done everyone. I've loved working to the playlists this week!

Some fantastic new music!

Well done LeVar, very smooth Walrus hosting there. 7 rounds with 26 contestants is no easy feat, hope you enjoyed the experience. :)

Gonna throw one last plug in for my Surlaw, for those of you with a Walrus-shaped hole in your life! It's the perfect weekend to listen to and score 20 tunes, so please do play if you haven't already:
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/113930289
    I intend submitting....I have a list my computer ate it though. If I can find it I will enter

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Thanks LeVar for running such a great walrus and in particular, well done on getting through all of those songs in such a short time. :)

I can't help but wonder if I went with the wrong theme and if The Dandy Warhols' We Used To Be Friends would score higher than Love Split Love.

I honestly think it would've taken the same spot. I'd have difficulty saying which of the two I prefer even - they stack up fairly similarly for me.

Congrats again.

Oh and obviously LeVar has great music taste. Obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 85,002 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I did think Veronica Mars would feature

I had Magnum, Psych, Party of Five, Suits, Outlander, The OC and Reign on my potential lists

Thanks LeVar, great game and congratulations winners

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Congrats to Clara, Shelly, and Aris and thanks LeVar for running a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,339 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I did think Veronica Mars would feature

I had Magnum, Psych, Party of Five, Suits, Outlander, The OC and Reign on my potential lists

I can't believe I forgot about Smallville.

I was also thinking of Angel or The Unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Danke Also Starring LeVar Burton, the wooden spoon!

Reberetta is bowing out of Walrus competitions with a bang! (the sound of him hitting rock bottom). I've only entered three, but they've been thoroughly depressing.

NEWS JUST IN!

The drug samples of the competitors of Reburrus were recently retested and LeVar's A & B samples came back positive so the committee were left with no other option but to retrospectively strip ASLB of the title. Very disappointing for all concerned, but that's the Russians for you. Gru, if you're reading, congratulations; you have moved up into gold and are the new champion!***

Shameless plug time:

Boardies decide greatest music act of all-time.

Boardsies decide greatest music album of all-time.

***Just kidding.**

**Maybe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Surprised nobody entered Peaky Blinders for the last category too. I thought Necro might have.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Surprised nobody entered Peaky Blinders for the last category too. I thought Necro might have.

That's actually what I thought Zaph had entered. I approve of his choice too though.

I'm surprised Falling by Julee Cruise, aka the theme from Twin Peaks, didn't make an appearance. It was on my shortlist.

Also half expected The Rembrandt's classic I'll Be There For You to show up.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That's actually what I thought Zaph had entered. I approve of his choice too though.

Red Right Hand would have been a great choice, but as soon as I saw the category there was only one option for me as Alabama 3 are one of my favourite bands. Inspired choice by quickbeam for the Hitchhiker's theme, it always seems to surprise people when they discover it's the Eagles.

Superb competition and reveals LeVar, the amount of work you put into it is incredible, so thanks for that. And congratulations to the three very worthy winners, you guys choose some great songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Just back from a day out (and first visit to a pub) with my best friends, and going through this thread was the perfect end to a perfect day.

Clarabel, Shelly, congratulations, very happy to share the win with you!!!

LeVar, thanks again for a great selection of categories and a great reveal!!!

I am next for a walrus, I have finalised my categories (I will attempt 7 too!!) and plan to get the proceedings under way tomorrow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I enjoyed this Walrus from a bystanders perspective - well done to the winners and LeVar for listening to such a long list in a short time - I wouldn't have always agreed with your choices but that's the fun of Walrus! I think I prefer to be looking on than taking part in these...;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

quickbeam wrote: »

I considered that one along with True Detective, fresh Prince, peep show, Saved by the Bell and The Rains of Castamere even though that might not count

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sawduck wrote:
    I considered that one along with True Detective, fresh Prince, peep show, Saved by the Bell and The Rains of Castamere even though that might not count

Power Rangers was my second choice.

Also had the GOT opening in mind as I think it's class but that show elicits very varied and sometimes irrationally emotional reactions given how it ended so I felt it best to steer clear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Necro wrote: »
    Cheers LeVar, jolly good show. Highest ever finish in a Walrus too so delighted :D

I think you finished third in Reberrus; a considerably more impressive achievement in a much more prestigious event; this LeVar Burton stuff is just a load of nonsense. He didn't even like The Quails for goodness sake! And who doesn't have The Quails in their record collection.

• Advertisement
Advertisement