Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 season start - Austria

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Agreed, he made far too many mistakes in his later years. He should have retired 5 years earlier.
    Maybe you are right about retiring but he wasn't performing brain surgery, his mistakes had little consequence and were mostly humorous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Agreed, he made far too many mistakes in his later years. He should have retired 5 years earlier.

In all fairness, I've watched a lot of races from the 70s and 80s "in absentia", and he did the same mistakes even then - sometimes egregious, like mistaking anything vaguely red/orange on track for a Ferrari. I, watching a Youtube compressed video made of a degraded tape from the 1970s, recorded off of a 240i signal of questionable quality, could see it was NOT a Ferrari...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Inquitus wrote: »

I was thinking this was ridiculous. Every man and his mother knew Mercedes were going to use this system from as far back as pre-season testing, yet Red Bull wait until now to kick up about it.

Chancers being chancers. If they had any genuine concerns they would have flagged it during pre-season testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    In all fairness, I've watched a lot of races from the 70s and 80s "in absentia", and he did the same mistakes even then - sometimes egregious, like mistaking anything vaguely red/orange on track for a Ferrari. I, watching a Youtube compressed video made of a degraded tape from the 1970s, recorded off of a 240i signal of questionable quality, could see it was NOT a Ferrari...

Irregardless of his mistakes, I'd take Murray's enthusiasm over the 'top lad banter' that exists today with the current crop of commentators

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Wonder now will we really see Ferrari down the field, or if they were sandbagging all along

Red Bull being a bit coy hopefully means Max will be up and around the Mercs later on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Red flag in FP3 as Latifi bins it into the barriers. Not the start he needed on his first qualifying day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Grid predictions? I’ll go:

1. HAM
    2. BOT
    3. VER
    4. PER
    5. LEC
    6. VET
    7. ALB
    8. SAI
    9. STR
    10. RIC

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is Quali at 2 or 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

2 I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Unpopular Opinion.

Murray Walker is/was overrated.

I never said he was one thing or another, under or over rated. He was just Murray Walker, and was the "voice of F1" for generations of people. For many, his voice on the TV was synonymous with Sunday afternoons.

Sure he made mistakes, and he had Brundle there to help him in the later years. But that was the point - we'd see a Ferrari go off and immediately think "was that Schumacher???" and Murray would vocalise that until he was corrected by Brundle or saw himself that it was, actually, Irvine. :)

Anyway back on topic. Mercedes running away with it, yawn. This is worse than the Vettel / Red Bull years as at least that went down to the wire most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

antodeco wrote: »
    Is Quali at 2 or 3?

Starts in 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Faugheen wrote: »
    I was thinking this was ridiculous. Every man and his mother knew Mercedes were going to use this system from as far back as pre-season testing, yet Red Bull wait until now to kick up about it.

Chancers being chancers. If they had any genuine concerns they would have flagged it during pre-season testing.
    I don't think they were able to lodge a complaint until it was an actual race weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The Alpha Tauri is beautiful.

Russell almost into Q2. Williams making progress, great stuff.

Russell out, but smashed his rookie teammate and faster than both Alfa Romeos

They go on about the environment, they should look at the waste of tyre rubber at the end of Q1 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Q2 will be a nailbiter, teams are so close together.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Harika wrote: »
    Q2 will be a nailbiter, teams are so close together.

Except when merc turn on their engine everyone else is close together.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

That’s a tremendous effort from Russell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I knew Latifi was bad but didn't think it could be that embarrassing. Half a second a lap slower than Kubica would have done, unbelievable.

The glossy black paint on the Mercedes will be a fingerprint magnet. I hate glossy black.

Someone on reddit made this, made me chuckle!

https://streamable.com/8owgz4

Ferrari could be in trouble here.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Vettel out

Ferrari 10th and 11th :D

Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ferrari not at the races at all this weekend. Come on Albon!! Looking forward to the midfield shoot out in Q3.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Ferrari are even worse than I thought, shockingly bad. Hard to see them putting the world to rights in one fell swoop at Hungary, likely the whole season is a writeoff for them!

Ferrari will need to bring their upgrade package to Silverstone.

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ Ferrari are a shambles altogether. Good showing for McLaren. Hopefully Verstappen can do something starting with the Mediums.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement