Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A/R TT....Round 3 - 10min TT, 10k TT, 10m TT, Saturday July 4th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Whoops...too late ;)

You mean it’s past your bedtime or you’re already pissed :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

You mean it’s past your bedtime or you’re already pissed :)

TbL

Let's just say I'm having one or two pre race hydration bulmers :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I'm always stressing the night before these things and tossing and turning the whole night.

This time, I'm trying a new tactic...I call it the Pre-race beers feck it approach...it's going well so far :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Missing from the Strava Thread (All who are not confirmed as DNS)

I know some names and others I tracked back through 1 mile and 5k TT (which was a bit of a pain). So unless Healy or I spot you in the Strava chat tomorrow with your time, you risk being omitted. Sorry..

Tbl
    Treviso
    spc78
    MisterJinx
    Baby75
    Rizzee
    AMK - not confirmed DNS :P
    Speedy44
    Lambay Island
    Enpassant

I'm out with an injury :( best of luck to everyone running

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Im out today sorry guys can't shake an achilles I injury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I'm trying to put together a mobile home and figure out how that works with a 2 year old and 9 month old.... I won't be running today lads. Best of luck/running to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Lambay Island of course first off the mark with the birds.
    Crushed it he did! First of the 3kers over the line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

No bother to Lambay, up with the larks that lad.

Weak effort from me really. Way too fast up Chesterfield, then got slower...and slower...and slower. 2,349 metres, having targeted 2,501 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Just home...sticky morning out there..

Will post more detail in my log in due course (can now be found here), but happy to have beaten my targeted 2800 by 30m. So 2830 was my distance.

Fairplay for beating 3k. Savage pace.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I am so happy! 1:10:17. I thought I was pushing my luck hoping for 1:10, put if I kept my cool, I might just get it. Maybe I could have found those 17 seconds somewhere and I'd be absolutely over the moon!!! But I'm not going to let that spoil today.

I can't thank all the organisers of these TTs enough. In the middle of this pandemic, when I'm sure you're all flat out with WFH, family life and your own running, you all clubbed together and put these events together for the good of everyone else. Fair play lads.

I always thought that when people said 'slow down', it was for the easy part of any training run. What I didn't twig, until I did the mile TT, is that you have to control the workout paces too. I may be able to hold on to a pace I like seeing on my watch for a 2 minute interval, but if I can only do a mile in 10:30, that's what I should be working off. So, although I was bitterly disappointed with the mile TT, I benefitted so so much from doing it. I spent 2015 thinking I was doing a terrible job and not improving (no disrespect to ecoli or whatever his name is now :D and his plan ), but when I look back at the workouts on Strava, I know now I was running everything way too fast plus sprinting through intervals so it's no wonder I had nothing to pull out of the bag when it came to race days and ended up like an angry little gremlin :D

Today, with the benefit of sorting my paces out in the training runs, I could go out and know I could take it all at a pace that was appropriate. I changed my route last minute to include the hills, because when I looked at my planned route it was way too downhill. So when the hills came I tackled them okay and when I tired I told myself that going uphill was not the time to be making judgement calls, so I kept my cool.

The paces I'd set I worked not to hit if it felt too comfortable, so I can't say I took any part conservatively, or was kind to myself at any stage. I began to waiver in mile 5 so I just blanked everything out and held on, and the benefit of all the tempo/threshold training runs came in to play. When I tried to push with half a mile to go, I started counting with a plan of just lashing all I had left in to it with quarter of a mile to go. But it flew in so fast (time wise) I lost track and left it too late, maybe that's where I would have got those 17 seconds! :pac:

But I'm delighted. I'm not where I was in 2015, but I'm certainly not where I was 10 weeks ago either!

Thanks for these TTs and for allowing a slow-mo like me to take part and for answering all the stupid queries :D I'll never regret putting my name in despite the results being way off where everyone else is.

I'll go donate now.

Best of luck everyone else running today!!

• Advertisement

No bother to Lambay, up with the larks that lad.

Weak effort from me really. Way too fast up Chesterfield, then got slower...and slower...and slower. 2,349 metres, having targeted 2,501 :pac:

I thought you were out injured so I removed you from the list. Sorry. Well done getting it done

I am so happy! 1:10:17. I thought I was pushing my luck hoping for 1:10, put if I kept my cool, I might just get it. Maybe I could have found those 17 seconds somewhere and I'd be absolutely over the moon!!! But I'm not going to let that spoil today.

I can't thank all the organisers of these TTs enough. In the middle of this pandemic, when I'm sure you're all flat out with WFH, family life and your own running, you all clubbed together and put these events together for the good of everyone else. Fair play lads.

I always thought that when people said 'slow down', it was for the easy part of any training run. What I didn't twig, until I did the mile TT, is that you have to control the workout paces too. I may be able to hold on to a pace I like seeing on my watch for a 2 minute interval, but if I can only do a mile in 10:30, that's what I should be working off. So, although I was bitterly disappointed with the mile TT, I benefitted so so much from doing it. I spent 2015 thinking I was doing a terrible job and not improving (no disrespect to ecoli or whatever his name is now :D and his plan ), but when I look back at the workouts on Strava, I know now I was running everything way too fast plus sprinting through intervals so it's no wonder I had nothing to pull out of the bag when it came to race days and ended up like an angry little gremlin :D

Today, with the benefit of sorting my paces out in the training runs, I could go out and know I could take it all at a pace that was appropriate. I changed my route last minute to include the hills, because when I looked at my planned route it was way too downhill. So when the hills came I tackled them okay and when I tired I told myself that going uphill was not the time to be making judgement calls, so I kept my cool.

The paces I'd set I worked not to hit if it felt too comfortable, so I can't say I took any part conservatively, or was kind to myself at any stage. I began to waiver in mile 5 so I just blanked everything out and held on, and the benefit of all the tempo/threshold training runs came in to play. When I tried to push with half a mile to go, I started counting with a plan of just lashing all I had left in to it with quarter of a mile to go. But it flew in so fast (time wise) I lost track and left it too late, maybe that's where I would have got those 17 seconds! :pac:

But I'm delighted. I'm not where I was in 2015, but I'm certainly not where I was 10 weeks ago either!

Thanks for these TTs and for allowing a slow-mo like me to take part and for answering all the stupid queries :D I'll never regret putting my name in despite the results being way off where everyone else is.

I'll go donate now.

Best of luck everyone else running today!!
    you are faster than millions who do nothing.

Well done and thank you for taking part with such a great attitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

dnf for me. Back problems the last week since i started to drive to work again. managed to get to 5k well on target before uncommon sense made me stop. Legs were happy to gp on.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

Just finished - came in at 47.39, 20 seconds below my target, so very happy with that! My course was along the seafront in Clontarf, from the corner of Alfie Byrne road to a little bit up the causeway and back.

Aargh, just noticed, Strava says 9.98km while my watch says 10.02km ... I think I'll trust the watch!

Thanks for organizing - I'm really happy to have done it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Just back and tucking into some breakfast ... 1.5 miles on the nose for the 10' so 2.41 km, a fair bit below the 2.5 km target. Started well, just outside target pace until the mile mark and then, instead of picking it up as per the plan, started slowing down and the will to fight the hurt just wasn't there today. Oh well - onwards and upwards!

Thank you to the organisers and well done to everybody who is taking part today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭CR 7

DNF for the 10k for me. It ended up as 10:06 on the watch and just over 2.5km when I stopped it so I might just try to trim the activity and pretend I was aiming for that!

After not being able to settle on a route all week I tried to pick the flattest/quietest route this morning over my pre-run coffee. I got to the start line feeling ok, just a little warm but my legs felt lighter than they have all week so I was confident of getting close to 40min at least. But then I got to 1km and my shirt was already drenched all the way through. The second km had the worst of the hills out of the whole route and that just had me at redline already. I tried to push through it and see if I could get back into a rhythm, but another slight dip and rise turned my legs to jelly and I just had to stop and use a tree to hold myself up for a few minutes.

I might chance it again in a few weeks depending on how the training goes.

Thanks for organising it anyway, it was still enjoyable somehow! That could just be the lack of racing talking though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

10 minutes 2,99x metres :eek:

Let me tell you. That hurt. Alot. From around a mile in the pain started. Somehow I held the pace for the most part but there was to be no kick in the last minute or the final 200.

Anyway, here they come :D
    Excuse the first: I misjudged my finish line. I ended up having to run out of the business park onto a pathless road to finish.
    Excuse the second: To make sure I got the 10 minute interval I switched off autolap on the watch so got no automatic splits. I thought I was off by two seconds though after the second km so it's not a real excuse. I had a pretty good idea where I was at. There was no way I was kicking on today even if I noted the split being down a little.
    Excuse the third: The second and hardest km was on a gentle upslope straight into the morning breeze for the entire km. I managed to not lose too much of my pace here but it sapped me.
    Final excuse: Aerobic base :pac:

Back in reality I got my 3k in 10:02. And I'm absolutely delighted to get so close. The doubter in me was secretly predicting 10:10s. Had to aim high though with the 10 minute target. I couldn't run it any faster than I gave it today as my legs are still reminding me. And I feel I'm already overachieving considering the mileage I put in weekly anyway. Better weather and a more tactical route i might just squeak it on current fitness levels but I'll tell you one thing it's going to take me at least a couple of days to recover fully.

And happy anniversary B.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

And happy anniversary B.

Thanks N, a DNS for me!! I twisted my knee someway yesterday while getting off the bike. Pain is similar to prior having my botched knee operation, so I’m playing this one very cautiously. Great efforts out in the roads this morning, super to see folks. Big well done to M on flying this thread solo, the Kildare lad is still MIA!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

OOnegative wrote: »
    Thanks N, a DNS for me!! I twisted my knee someway yesterday while getting off the bike. Pain is similar to prior having my botched knee operation, so I’m playing this one very cautiously. Great efforts out in the roads this morning, super to see folks. Big well done to M on flying this thread solo, the Kildare lad is still MIA!!

I'm active on Strava :) and some high level discussions are going on behind the scenes between Mike and myself. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Unfortunately a DNS for me too

Well done some great times coming through

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

58:14 for the 10mile for me, through 10k in 35:54. Really struggled this morning, had expected to run low 57 for it but the legs were heavy and my right hamstring is fairly tight. Happy to have ground it out, thanks for organising the TT lads, it's been a great motivator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Happy to have that done :D

Had it in as a 10k workout & it stopped at 43:28 & somehow instead of saving the workout i pressed the start button again!!
    Thrilled with a minute unofficial PB but if my time recorded on strava has to be taken then that's ok too because it's still a PB & I know the truth ;):D

Well done to everyone who ran or attempted to run! We all know it can be hit or miss with this running lark & sometimes it's just not your day!

Thanks a mill to the organizers too, great to have something to focus on again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Had to figure out who you were Lambay Island on Strava. That's some going lad. Very impressive. Be interesting to hear what you made of the effort.

@MY Bad: I think your friends might be right but I'd need another few goes to judge it properly.

Well done Lainey too on the unofficial PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Only my second ever DNF :(

You can read all about it here.

And there is some context available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Checked my PB bib this morning, from last year's race series 10k, I write times on them and keep them in a box.

43:22

Made me wonder wtf I was thinking with my 41:45 prediction. Had forgotten what my best was.

Decided to have a crack at it anyway. Knew a couple of km in it was gonna be real tough. But a pb was possible.

Followed Corkagh parkrun route for 5k, knew then the prediction was gone, had to dig deep mentally here to keep up the effort.

Repeated the back draggy section for 2.5k, then did the first half of the route in reverse. That meant km 9 had a big tough drag, but a rewarding downhill last km.

43:02 for a 20 sec PB.

Am delighted with that as I was nowhere near as prepared as I should have been.

Well done everyone, and thanks so much M & J for driving the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

DNF (10k) for me I'm sorry to say.

From the word go, I didn't feel right at all. Pulled the plug about 3.5 miles in. So disappointed but sure these things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Oh, and big thanks to healy1835 and shotgunmcos for organising!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

OOnegative wrote: »

I thought you were gonna say you twisted your knee coming off that bar stool last night :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blackbird86

DNF for me on 10k. Had a couple of niggles so hadn't run much over the last couple of weeks. Then I had a terrible night's sleep last night as my neighbours were having a rowdy party. Got up early to get out before my husband went to work, in hindsight I should've waited til the evening when I mightve had a bit more energy.

My legs thankfully felt fine but I started out too fast & my lungs were struggling by 3km. Kept almost stopping but telling myself to keep going. By 6km I was just miserable, my pace had dropped to nearly 6min per km & I was dying with thirst so I gave up. Disappointed with myself but I'm doing a 10k for charity in two weeks so I'll give it another go then.

Thanks again for organising lads & well done to everyone taking part. Some amazing times being posted as always!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I thought you were gonna say you twisted your knee coming off that bar stool last night :D:D

No, smartarse!!! No hangover either........

Advertisement