Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Didn't realise the €9 meal in bars was a fad

• 04-07-2020 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

So went into a bar/restaurant for the first time today, expected to have to pay €9 for some sort of food or meal before we were allowed to order drinks

When we arrived everybody was sitting at their tables full of drinks, not a meal in sight, in fact the chefs were at the bar serving drinks not food!

Not one word mentioned about ordering food, literally you were allowed walk right up to the bar and order as many drinks as you want and sit anywhere, no food menu or mention of food anywhere :V

Then about twenty mins later a guard walked in, went upto the bar and said something to the owner or waiter, then walked back out.

After we went to a nearby restaurant for dinner we walked past and the place was still packed full of drinkers.

Why the hell do the irish government keep saying there's certain rules and not enforcing them?

Is this €9 meal thing just bull or what

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

So went into a bar/restaurant for the first time today, expected to have to pay €9 for some sort of food or meal before we were allowed to order drinks

When we arrived everybody was sitting at their tables full of drinks, not a meal in sight, in fact the chefs were at the bar serving drinks not food!

Not one word mentioned about ordering food, literally you were allowed walk right up to the bar and order as many drinks as you want and sit anywhere, no food menu or mention of food anywhere :V

Then about twenty mins later a guard walked in, went upto the bar and said something to the owner or waiter, then walked back out.

After we went to a nearby restaurant for dinner we walked past and the place was still packed full of drinkers.

Why the hell do the irish government keep saying there's certain rules and not enforcing them?

The Garda was probably taking bribe money to turn a blind eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

The Garda was probably taking bribe money to turn a blind eye.

Haha.

God knows!

Was half expecting the guards to come back and shut the place down but about 2 hrs later when we walked past it was still open serving drinks... Not a food menu in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well it's premise was utter bullsh"t anyway. What anti viral qualities does paying for food have?

If they were serious, the pubs wouldn't be open.

Stupid nonsensical baseless and unenforceable rules like this get ignored quickly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

This sort of behaviour seems to be fairly widespread unfortunately. Publicans will be moaning when they are inevitably forced to close their doors again due to their carry on.
    Haha.

God knows!

Was half expecting the guards to come back and shut the place down but about 2 hrs later when we walked past it was still open serving drinks... Not a food menu in sight.

Gardaí don't actually have any power to enforce the guidelines. The best they can do is object to the renewal of the liquor license for the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

This sort of behaviour seems to be fairly widespread unfortunately. Publicans will be moaning when they are inevitably forced to close their doors again due to their carry on.

Gardaí don't actually have any power to enforce the guidelines. The best they can do is object to the renewal of the liquor license for the pub.

Ah okay makes sense so.

Was wondering if it was an actual rule or just a guideline yet again...

The government are making an absolute shambles of this. 'oh we don't think you should travel but the flights are still going and we can't force you not to'

And now 'oh you have to buy a substantial meal if you go out for a drink and you can only stay for 120 mins but by the way no one will enforce it'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

In the 90s I was powerlifting, so I needed loads of high calorie high protein food. My source was blagging nightclub tickets. Nightclubs at the time had to supply a meal and since hardly anyone wanted it I collected the tickets on ladies night . (Ladies were free and had no interest on the food so they handed over their tickets no bother ) and got a weeks burger, sausage and chips for free in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Vestiapx wrote: »
    In the 90s I was powerlifting, so I needed loads of high calorie high protein food. My source was blagging nightclub tickets. Nightclubs at the time had to supply a meal and since hardly anyone wanted it I collected the tickets on ladies night . (Ladies were free and had no interest on the food so they handed over their tickets no bother ) and got a weeks burger, sausage and chips for free in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

When Gardai started carrying out traffic stops to determine who was making unnecessary journeys, these pages were full of people saying Ireland was turning in to a police state.

Most rules in most countries are adhered to through a largely willing population following them of their own free will and not just because they fear a member of the police force is watching them.

It seems you were expecting it wouldn't be enforced either given you went to a bar before going to a restaurant for your meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well it's premise was utter bullsh"t anyway. What anti viral qualities does paying for food have?

Stupid nonsensical baseless and unenforceable rules like this get ignored quickly.

Pubs aren’t open, those with restaurant licences are

It's the usual thing, give people an inch and they'll take a mile. The €9 thing is an attempt to give some clarity, people just bitch and moan about it and take the piss again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

lawred2 wrote: »

Pubs with food licenses as well are piggybacking on the fact that restaurants are allowed to open. Pubs that just serve drinks cannot currently open. So a pub that serves food has to act as a restaurant for now, i.e. you need to eat and drink. Simple really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I felt it was a way to stagger the openings, the two places i went to were strict enough about the food but i felt perhaps not about the time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

The lockdown is over. The guards, businesses and customers all know it. It's just the government haven't announced it yet because they have a lot of political capital tied up in it so it has to be unwound slowly. All pretence will be gone both officially and unofficially by the August bank holiday and that weekend will be something akin to St Patrick's day meets the reaction after the Italia 90 penalty shootout.

touts wrote: »
    The lockdown is over. The guards, businesses and customers all know it. It's just the government haven't announced it yet because they have a lot of political capital tied up in it so it has to be unwound slowly. All pretence will be gone both officially and unofficially by the August bank holiday and that weekend will be something akin to St Patrick's day meets the reaction after the Italia 90 penalty shootout.

Once there's a huge rise in cases come the end of this month I'll guess the August Bank Holiday will be just like this year's Paddy's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That sounds like the most miserable existence , from a food pov. The stuff served in clubs then could barely be considered edible

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

‘Fad’ doesn’t mean what you think it means, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

That sounds like the most miserable existence , from a food pov. The stuff served in clubs then could barely be considered edible

I had no money and it was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ted1 wrote: »

So pubs are open

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hopefully dives like that dont get a renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Its the stereotypical drunken Mick culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Didn't realise the €9 meal in bars was a fad
    A pint contains more 200 calories, if you had 5 pints in the pub, we can say you are fine as you fulfilled the meal numbers, calories and money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Once there's a huge rise in cases come the end of this month I'll guess the August Bank Holiday will be just like this year's Paddy's Day.

Virus cases have fallen off a cliff in Ireland. The epicenter has long moved away.
    People are denying the reality that we are far along in this journey. The leg work is done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Every one knew this would happen, anyone who thinks closures and certain lockdown are not coming again are only fooling themselves.

Virus cases have fallen off a cliff in Ireland. The epicenter has long moved away.
    People are denying the reality that we are far along in this journey. The leg work is done

I wonder why they've fallen off a cliff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I wonder why they've fallen off a cliff.

We prepared for the surge period by locking down the country and nationalising private hospitals.
    That was months ago. We are on phase 3 of re opening and seeing only a tiny number of daily cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

You must have been in some shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Nightclubs at the time had to supply a meal and since hardly anyone wanted it I collected the tickets on ladies night . (Ladies were free and had no interest on the food so they handed over their tickets no bother ) and got a weeks burger, sausage and chips for free in one go.

You were lucky. We were only ever served slop. It was usually a dodgy “chicken” curry or a stew of some description with who knows what in it. On the rare occasion we were upgraded to cheap deep fried sausages and soggy chips. Good time’s though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Place I was in the other night were selling pizza's for €9.
    Pubs would be crazy not to do it.
    Some killing to be made.
    And no real cleaning up afterwards.
    Probably about 50 pizzas came out from bar while I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Disagree entirely ... maybe in your local that was the case... I often had fantastic grub provided to me ... and the food worked as it sobered everyone up... less fighting and nonsense as a result at end of nite.... that Requirement to provide food should be reinforced ...but like before...the pub provides light food for free

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

ted1 wrote: »

The requirement for a restaurant license has been officially done away with, you just need to serve food.

Advertisement