Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Warrior Nun [Netflix]

Options
  • 17-06-2020 5:27pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This looks ... well, I don't know. The "superpowers as analogy of adolescence" feels utterly played out and don't care for, but as a trashy summer show it could have potential.

The evil plan being a TV budget version of "Doom" got my attention too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

another supernatural female warrior netflix show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XelS6fQbuo

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I saw the trailer for this earlier and it seems like one of those things that will either be beyond terrible or completely amazing. I'll definitely be giving it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Out today

I watched the first 2 episodes of this today and I'm not sure about it. There's a lot of set up and even after the 2 episodes I'm still not entirely sure what's going on. Also there's a voiceover which I find unnecessary but it was used less in ep2 so hopefully it dies off eventually.
    I'll probably watch the rest of it eventually but I'm not excited about it at this point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Wrapped up 4th episode; I was hoping for an action packed summer movie style romp with demon slaying with banter and well it's anything but that sadly. Best description is cliche low budget teenage drama...

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Wrapped up 4th episode; I was hoping for an action packed summer movie style romp with demon slaying with banter and well it's anything but that sadly. Best description is cliche low budget teenage drama...

I was hoping for something like Wynonna Earp, real stakes and drama but doesn't take itself too seriously, bit of fun and plenty of laughs thrown in with the action.
    I've seen a few people say they've finished it already and are hoping for more, so maybe it improves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I was hoping for something like Wynonna Earp, real stakes and drama but doesn't take itself too seriously, bit of fun and plenty of laughs thrown in with the action.
    I've seen a few people say they've finished it already and are hoping for more, so maybe it improves.
    Finished episode 6; had a good scene with "I just want to be normal" scene was the first real laugh out loud moment. Main character has been an annoying twerp so far but it's slowly improving. I can fully understand people wanting more because I don't see a clear resolution to happen in the last 4 episodes and to date it's been all about setting the scene so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Haven't watched any yet, but I'm guessing it's not exactly Buffy?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Haven't watched any yet, but I'm guessing it's not exactly Buffy?
    Definitely not Buffy; a lot less slaying and a lot more drama lama ding dong "Oh does he love me or not" and "obvious evil bad guy is obviously doing evil bad stuff things". Episode 7 has picked up the pace however but the first five episodes could definitely have benefited from being shortened.

Ok finished it; try to survive the first five episodes ineptness because the final four are (imo) worth it and as noted above this better get a second season. It takes waaaay to long to get going but once it does it only gets better and yes it does end on a cliff hanger annoyingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Yup I'd have to agree with Nody second half of the season really saves it and I'd happily watch another season.

Twist in the last ep is well done and Jaoquim De Almeida is always watchable tbh

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So the reviews I read said the first five are slow set up and then it picks up a lot - looks like that seems to be true then. Might give it a chance as I liked Simon Barry's "Continuum".

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have watched episode one...it's in a word...odd.
    The tone is all over the place, the acting is let's say uneven, the voiceover is also kind of off-putting.
    But having said all that will I watch more....probably. It does look pretty good for a tv show, they have clearly spent a decent amount on it.

Watched a few more episodes there tonight. After 4 episodes things finally seem to be happening but tonally it's still a bit off. I still hate the voiceover, it's so unnecessarySome of what she says they could just be showing us, and a lot of times she could just be speaking out loud to herself and it would make sense. And the friends/love interest scenes kill the vibe entirely every time the pace starts to pick up.
    All that said, the one proper fight scene in episode 4 was impressive. I'm going to need more of that if I'm going to stick with it.

Watched a few more episodes there tonight. After 4 episodes things finally seem to be happening but tonally it's still a bit off. I still hate the voiceover, it's so unnecessarySome of what she says they could just be showing us, and a lot of times she could just be speaking out loud to herself and it would make sense. And the friends/love interest scenes kill the vibe entirely every time the pace starts to pick up.
    All that said, the one proper fight scene in episode 4 was impressive. I'm going to need more of that if I'm going to stick with it.
    Episode 6 is when things start to make the turn basically and things basically improve every episode going forward from there.

I finished episode 6 and it was probably the best of the season so far. Having Ava and Mary share multiple proper conversations was what really moved the story, and Ava's character in particular, along. Still feels like we could have gotten to the same place in 2 episodes, or an extended pilot episode, with some tighter writing and less love interest guy.

Finished it tonight and pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. It's slow going for the first half and then really picks up from 6 on wards. I really hope there's a second season, which is not something I thought I'd say when I was falling asleep during episode 3 :D

For anyone who has watched it all.... I'm still not 100% sure what's going on
    The "angel" is actually a devil, or THE devil? Fr. Vincent was working for him and manipulating the entire Order and Ava the whole time? The first Warrior Nun knew what/who yer man was and went along with it to keep the halo, but presumably eventually went against him and that's how the halo started getting passed down, to keep it from him? And then the Vatican got involved and were twisting it all for their own benefit? And Cardinal Whatshisname genuinely had no idea about any of it and was just hustling to become Pope?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Finished it tonight and pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. It's slow going for the first half and then really picks up from 6 on wards. I really hope there's a second season, which is not something I thought I'd say when I was falling asleep during episode 3 :D

For anyone who has watched it all.... I'm still not 100% sure what's going on
    The "angel" is actually a devil, or THE devil? Fr. Vincent was working for him and manipulating the entire Order and Ava the whole time? The first Warrior Nun knew what/who yer man was and went along with it to keep the halo, but presumably eventually went against him and that's how the halo started getting passed down, to keep it from him? And then the Vatican got involved and were twisting it all for their own benefit? And Cardinal Whatshisname genuinely had no idea about any of it and was just hustling to become Pope?

*a* devil. yes to the rest, although the first warrior nun kept her mouth shut because she'd be dead otherwise. Vincent framed Duretti who just wanted to be pope

agree it got a lot better during the second half! looking forward to another season hopefully there's one

And thoughts on...
    the big demon things? They were obviously chasing the devil guy, and he killed one with the "halo" which might not be a halo and is obviously not his. Their skeletons are made of Divinium, and Sister Lilith seems in fine form for someone who was apparently killed by one and dragged to "hell". So.... are they Angels? Or good, at least?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

And thoughts on...
    the big demon things? They were obviously chasing the devil guy, and he killed one with the "halo" which might not be a halo and is obviously not his. Their skeletons are made of Divinium, and Sister Lilith seems in fine form for someone who was apparently killed by one and dragged to "hell". So.... are they Angels? Or good, at least?

Yeah I was debating that as well.
    I think
    since the tarask was going around killing people it seems to not indicate that it's an angel although maybe it's a human/anthill perspective :p
    I think it's part of what we will have to find out next season

• Advertisement

And thoughts on...
    I think
    that he stole the "halo" from hell and most likely from "Satan". Speculation would be that he's a devil who went against "insert Satan character" and stole power / was to be killed and stole the halo and fled with Satan sending his attack dogs after him to recover it (hence their ability to teleport to the "halo" when in use). That's also why he's got the armor & weapons of divinium which in reality is simply hell forged metal (which also makes up their demons somehow...) and that's why it's effective at killing demons as well as well as why he can call "lesser" demons to his aid using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Nearly quit 2-3 time in early episodes as there are many problems with pacing , annoying lead and the voice overs ,but premise was intriguing , the fight scene with chain mail mask came just in time to keep me watching and then second half it ramped up into a really good show.

Pace for the last couple of episodes was great and the pivot in last episode left me wanting way more.
    I took the trask Demon thing to be a kind of tracking Hellhound rather than an angel , but you could argue that if its returning devils to hell it might be heavenly in origin , I think that would be a great twist if that was the case. Also cannot wait to find out more about Adriel , is he a fallen angel , surely not the fallen angel , or just a man sentanced to hell who found a way back. lots to explore

Nearly quit 2-3 time in early episodes as there are many problems with pacing , annoying lead and the voice overs ,but premise was intriguing , the fight scene with chain mail mask came just in time to keep me watching and then second half it ramped up into a really good show.

I didn't find the lead annoying, as such, but when she was mainly interacting with the bland love interest and his friends it felt really awkward and forced. TV shows usually do chemistry tests between actors, but that whole section at the start with Ava and that group felt like none of them had ever met before they started filming.
    The episode that was mainly Ava and Mary in the little town together was when it started turning around for me, and then when she fully committed to the order it took off. I saw some videos on Twitter of the nuns training together before filming so it's entirely possibly they did just have a more natural chemistry when it came to filming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Nody wrote: »
    Ok finished it; try to survive the first five episodes ineptness because the final four are (imo) worth it and as noted above this better get a second season. It takes waaaay to long to get going but once it does it only gets better and yes it does end on a cliff hanger annoyingly.

Jesus how do you persevere after 5 episodes? I abandon ship after 1 episode if I'm not feeling it.

Is it a completionist thing or what's the motivation when something is at the point where you're surviving it?

Seriously.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Jesus how do you persevere after 5 episodes? I abandon ship after 1 episode if I'm not feeling it.

Is it a completionist thing or what's the motivation when something is at the point where you're surviving it?

Seriously.

I can't speak for Nody but I don't think the first few episodes are necessarily bad, they're just very slow and the main character goes back and forth so many times, somewhat unnecessarily, that you're just willing something big to happen, and eventually it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I can't speak for Nody but I don't think the first few episodes are necessarily bad, they're just very slow and the main character goes back and forth so many times, somewhat unnecessarily, that you're just willing something big to happen, and eventually it does.

To be honest, maybe it says more about me, but my Netflix "Continue Watching" is a graveyard of films/shows with just small notches on the red progress bar.

Probably why I miss the cinema so much. Someone else has the remote. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,246 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Finished it tonight and it is definitely a building series - gets better with each episode and quite liked the whole Vatican/church aspect
    I thought it was actually an alternate dimension being with some kind of super powered weapon (in the origin story looked like an halo but in the actual reveal it looked like something else - else what is the point of the whole side story of another dimension that the divinium can open and for the kid to go to

fritzelly wrote: »
    I thought it was actually an alternate dimension being with some kind of super powered weapon (in the origin story looked like an halo but in the actual reveal it looked like something else - else what is the point of the whole side story of another dimension that the divinium can open and for the kid to go to

I think the whole idea of the scientist storyline was
    she's saying that what the church refers to as heaven and hell do exist but they're actually alternate dimensions rather than a fluffy place in the sky you ascend to after death.

I thought I saw something in the last episode and went back for a closer look.
    when Fr. Vincent is carrying Ava out of the tomb there's a shot of her over his shoulder and you can see his arm (I think) is glowing blue in places. It was probably just a little hint at what was about to be revealed, but I'm wondering are his tattoos divinium, or are they hiding something on his arms that are divinium? Whatever it is I assume that's how Adreil was able to communicate with him. Same as how he could talk to the boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

I thought I saw something in the last episode and went back for a closer look.
    when Fr. Vincent is carrying Ava out of the tomb there's a shot of her over his shoulder and you can see his arm (I think) is glowing blue in places. It was probably just a little hint at what was about to be revealed, but I'm wondering are his tattoos divinium, or are they hiding something on his arms that are divinium? Whatever it is I assume that's how Adreil was able to communicate with him. Same as how he could talk to the boy.
    I saw the same I'm pretty sure makes a lot of sense

Advertisement