Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gyro control on consoles in 2020

• 20-06-2020 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭

Just discovered that the Xbox one controller doesn't have gyro control. The PS4 controller does, but few games use it. ?????

Amazed considering how good this feature is for aiming in eg breath of the wild on the switch. It's so accurate and fun. E.g. cutting the lantern ropes with an accurately placed arrow never gets old.

Really, I kinda assumed Witcher 3, RDR2, horizon zero dawn etc would all have gyro control for bows, guns, ...

Or at least the option of using it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It is on the DS4, but I've turned it off for any game that has wanted me to use it. I reckon it'll be used more, at least for a while, on the PS5. Just seemed like a gimmick on the PS4 really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

It was a pain in the hole. On the PS4, Infamous second son used it to shake the spray cans for the graffiti, having to take hold of the controller with one hand completely broke the gameplay IMO.

Like 3d TVs it was a gimmick some companies used at the start then it died and noone touches it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It was a pain in the hole. On the PS4, Infamous second son used it to shake the spray cans for the graffiti, having to take hold of the controller with one hand completely broke the gameplay IMO.

Like 3d TVs it was a gimmick some companies used at the start then it died and noone touches it anymore.

You use it in the last of Us when your torch flickers and in Death Stranding to rock BB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

It was great in Yakuza 6 when you had to distract and play with Baby Haruto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

It took me a while to get used to, but now when it's not in a game, I miss it. Its the next best thing to mouse aim, and so much more accurate than using the analog sticks alone. I would love if it was included as an option in all games in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The only time I ever enjoyed motion controls in a standard gamepad was driving in Far Cry 2 on PS3. The crudeness of of controls exactly matched the sensitivity of six axis. Quite fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I like it when its used effectively. Mario Tennis on the switch uses gyro aim for the special shots and it's perfect

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People swear by it in Splatoon 2 as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

To be clear here, I'm talking about using gyro for aiming a bow, a gun...

Not crazy Wii remote waggling :)

I'm talking about gyro not motion control. I think they are different things.

And yep, it's great in BOTW and clunky without.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Nerrel has a good few videos on it.

I'm very tempted to buy a Switch Pro pad just to try it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement