Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No fans Irish Open.

• 01-07-2020 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭

A hypothetical question really, but if the European Tour are holding events without fans, what courses in Ireland could come into the equation of holding the event that otherwise wouldn't be considered to host it.

How about bringing it to Waterville for example, the European Club, maybe the Old Head or dare I say it Trump Doonbeg!
    What course would you like to see it on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Love to see it come to Carne or Enniscrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

A hypothetical question really, but if the European Tour are holding events without fans, what courses in Ireland could come into the equation of holding the event that otherwise wouldn't be considered to host it.

How about bringing it to Waterville for example, the European Club, maybe the Old Head or dare I say it Trump Doonbeg!
    What course would you like to see it on

They can't though, hence why all tournaments are in the UK (for Quarantine reasons)

The Austrian one this week is an anomaly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

callaway92 wrote: »
    They can't though, hence why all tournaments are in the UK (for Quarantine reasons)

The Austrian one this week is an anomaly.

Thought the UK and Ireland were one area with no quarantine and thats why we still havent open travel with the rest of the EU like the do among themselves.
    Its a good question though. Love Enniscrone but maybe its a bit short for them. Same for Lahinch. If it has to be a links then The European Club has to be the one that would be intersting to see them on. A lot of the top courses might be more open to it without the crowds because there wont be the damage that they bring to it and members have to put up with after. Probably one of the big private inland ones would be interested to as again they wouldnt have to worry about the crowds and would raise their profile again like Mount Juliet or maybe Concra is supposed to be good and theyed probably get a good deal. The usual worries about accomodation, access, and how to handle crowds that seems to wipe a fair few in ireland wouldnt apply so there are more options and would be interesting to see it on one that normally wouldnt be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Thought the UK and Ireland were one area with no quarantine and thats why we still havent open travel with the rest of the

If they fly here they have to. Only if they come in via NI they can get away with not self isolating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Ballybunion old course, actually 20 years ago this week since it was host.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'd love to see it on an old, short windy links that's only failing is lack of crowd space!
    Only concern would be if it was too difficult it might put some of them off for next year, even if it was somewhere else.

Enniscrone is a good shout, would hate to see it in some parkland, portmarnock would be good, hell get it back to woodbrook!

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'd love to see it on an old, short windy links that's only failing is lack of crowd space!
    Only concern would be if it was too difficult it might put some of them off for next year, even if it was somewhere else.

Enniscrone is a good shout, would hate to see it in some parkland, portmarnock would be good, hell get it back to woodbrook!

Played Woodbrook in 2017 and loved it, thought it was a great course.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

etxp wrote: »
    Played Woodbrook in 2017 and loved it, thought it was a great course.

Might be a -30 winner if the wind didnt blow though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Yes I played woodbrook too but about 10 years ago. Grand out members course and nice clubhouse and stuff, but wouldn't think the course would really be up to the level of the pros. Especially when we aren't short of courses here that are really class.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭redhill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Corballis/Island composite. Play the first 9 in Corballis and then nip through the bushes at the side of the 9th green onto the 8th? tee box in The Island.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thought the UK and Ireland were one area with no quarantine and thats why we still havent open travel with the rest of the EU like the do among themselves.
    callaway92 wrote: »
    If they fly here they have to. Only if they come in via NI they can get away with not self isolating.

Coming from the "mainland" via NI to ROI does not mean they "get away" with it, and the requirement is restricted movements at present not self isolation.
    What you are referring to are folk from NI travelling to ROI where there is no restriction, we have to have this as any number of folk live in NI and work in ROI and also in reverse.

Has to be a links course that can't handle numbers, Enniscrone a good call, Tralee or European but Ruddy would not go for it I'd say.
    Tralee or Enniscrone.

Remember there is still a requirement for facilities like practice area's and clubhouse/parking which would rule out a lot of courses, like Carne for one.

slave1 wrote: »
    Has to be a links course that can't handle numbers, Enniscrone a good call, Tralee or European but Ruddy would not go for it I'd say.
    Tralee or Enniscrone.

Remember there is still a requirement for facilities like practice area's and clubhouse/parking which would rule out a lot of courses, like Carne for one.

Its really annoying that Carne does not have a good practice facility. Its usually an hour in the car to get there so a warm up would be nice before the round. I know there is a range you can use your own balls on but that's effort.

Would Enniscrone's practice area be big enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

etxp wrote: »
    Its really annoying that Carne does not have a good practice facility. Its usually an hour in the car to get there so a warm up would be nice before the round. I know there is a range you can use your own balls on but that's effort.

Would Enniscrone's practice area be big enough?

Plenty big enough, they have the flat 9 course there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

redhill wrote: »

They were scheduled to hold a challenge tour event. I guess it has got an upgrade

Trampas wrote: »
    They were scheduled to hold a challenge tour event. I guess it has got an upgrade

Not impressed with Galgorm when I played it, nothing wrong with it but not anywhere near one of our better courses IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

It seems to be well thought of up here, but personally I’d have very few really nice things to say about Galgorm (3 visits).

Of the modern “championship” parklands I’ve played, it would be more in the class of Moyvalley or St Margaret’s, than where it wants to be seen. That’s okay I suppose. But it’s not Irish Open standard.

After a promising opening, it is long, flat, straight and boring as hell. I really struggle to pictures the holes from 7 onwards.

The more I think about it, a general predilection for not framing green complexes, really counts against it.

Conditioning is solid, but nowhere near Louth Erne levels.

The setting is pretty good but early holes are marred by the towering presence of the ugliest of council buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Its a nice course but it stops there. I can think of 150 courses better than it. I played it in an event September a few years back and even at that time of year it was a swamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Is it more to do with the castle and the fact everyone can stay in one place and the bubble can be kept intact?

• Advertisement

tbayers wrote: »
    Is it more to do with the castle and the fact everyone can stay in one place and the bubble can be kept intact?

Unless they’re staying in tents they won’t be staying on site!

Galgorm resort is about a mile away.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

thewobbler wrote: »
    Unless they’re staying in tents they won’t be staying on site!

Galgorm resort is about a mile away.

It's still one resort not very far away. Never said anything else

tbayers wrote: »
    It's still one resort not very far away. Never said anything else

Well you mentioned a castle that doesn’t provide accommodation.

Either way the vast majority of players and support staff won’t be staying in Ballymena, let alone the Galgorm area.

The fact that it is already hosting the NI Open probably played in to the decision. It won't take much work or expense to get it into tournament shape. Other courses would have been starting from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

It would be a great opportunity to go somewhere like the Island or Tralee but I imagine it's purely a financial decision since the NI open is there a couple of weeks before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

The European Tour today announced the Dubai Duty Free Irish Open will be played in Northern Ireland for the fourth time since 2012 when the Galgorm Castle Golf Club hosts this year’s tournament from September 24-27.

2020 Dubai Duty Free Irish Open will have a prize fund of €1.25 million

I say Harrington will be the main local attraction as doubt any of the states based players will make it over

I've played all of the Irish Open venues within anyway recent years and Galgorm is the weakest venue by a high margin.
    If they have to have it in NI then Lough Erne would have been a much better choice (especially if Rors not playing).

Shame, hope it all works out well though

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Lough Erne is definitely a much superior course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Lough Erne is definitely a much superior course

Will it be on the box in America? I always feel it’s a missed opportunity to advertise Irish golf and Ireland when it’s not on a links.
    Are there other links courses in the north other than the royals?

• Advertisement

El Sueño wrote: »
    It would be a great opportunity to go somewhere like the Island or Tralee but I imagine it's purely a financial decision since the NI open is there a couple of weeks before.

No requirement for players to quarantine playing up the North.

Advertisement