Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M50 Electronic Speed Limit

Options
  • 29-06-2020 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Good morning,

Driving along the M50 yesterday spotted the slots for Electronic Speed Limit Displays in the metal gantries crossing the motorway has been filled with a metal sheet with two slots.

It looks as if they are preparing to install new displays along the motorway, does anyone here know if this is the case or if there are planning documents about it? And if there any progress on the legislation around allowing variable speed limits being introduced on the M50?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Anyone with info or where to find it? Can't find anything about it on Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

No but I defiantly welcome it. The motorways in Sydney use variable speed limits and it works well. Depending on the time of day speed limits could range from 70-100 km/h.

In terms of the M50 I feel that during rush hour it should be 80km/h except for between Blanchardstown and Ballymount where it should be 70 km/h and after 20:00 it should be 110 km/h.

In saying all that the guards and go safe vans would have a feel day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bigroad

So I suppose they will link fixed speed camera's to the ever changing speed limit.
    I will stock up on popcorn so and enjoy the show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No but I defiantly welcome it. The motorways in Sydney use variable speed limits and it works well. Depending on the time of day speed limits could range from 70-100 km/h.

In terms of the M50 I feel that during rush hour it should be 80km/h except for between Blanchardstown and Ballymount where it should be 70 km/h and after 20:00 it should be 110 km/h.

I don't see the point in most of that, because a lot of the time during peak traffic doing between 60 - 80 on the M50 anyway. Unless something happens and traffic slows down further.

I doubt other than on the southern section rated at 120, any other section of the M50 will be rated higher due to the amount of lanes, they are slightly narrower and the hard shoulders are quite slim, with merging off/from Junctions pretty much without'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I don't see the point in most of that, because a lot of the time during peak traffic doing between 60 - 80 on the M50 anyway. Unless something happens and traffic slows down further.

Quite often the accidents on the M50 are due to fast moving cars coming up behind stopped or very slow moving traffic, I've seen several rear endings myself due it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It would need to be enforced or nothing would change and they'd be no compliance. As we can see from every other speed limit in the State!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hurrache wrote: »
    Quite often the accidents on the M50 are due to fast moving cars coming up behind stopped or very slow moving traffic, I've seen several rear endings myself due it.
    Outside of that it's really the brake light ripple that that backs everything up fast. Recall a day like today on the M1, itself prone to delay if with lesser problems, where the outside lane moved at a steady 80pkh with good distancing, on account of weather. As a result there were no slowdowns at all. Personally like the idea of variable speed on the M50, might make a difference to flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Most cars only achieve an average speed of 50 km/h or so on the M50 during rush hour.
    Cars accelerate then break and waltz over lanes to their exit after hogging the overtaking lane for several km. They might reach a peak speed of 80 km/h but then crawl after that and cause the accordion effect all the way down the motorway which reduces overall speed s d results in unnecessary emissions.

A rigidly enforced speed limit of 60 km/h during rush hour would work wonders, and you'll probably get from the M1 M50 interchange to the M11 quicker in the long run.
    If you drive smoothly at 60 km/h you'll cover the whole M50 in 45 minutes.

Outside of rush hour the speed limit should be 120 km/h and between 10 pm and 6 am the speed limit should be 160 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Don't suppose it'll ever be variable to over 100kmh....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hurrache wrote: »
    I'd bet the mortgage on the majority of the rest being the result of embarrassingly shocking lane discipline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,244 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Outside of rush hour the speed limit should be 120 km/h
    Line of sight doesn't allow for such speeds.
    between 10 pm and 6 am the speed limit should be 160 km/h.
    Not really fair on those that have to listen to this.

Advertisement