Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to do with lentils

• 22-04-2020 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

I am trying to increase pulses in my diet but don't really know what to do with lentils. I have put red ones in soup and curries and made a tarka daal with the green ones. I find that since reducing our intake of meat, we are relying heavily on curries so I would like other recommendations if possible. Even how to add flavour in a salad or something. I am just at a loss at how to use them. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

There's tons you can do with lentils: bolognese, chili, salads and so on!

Have a look here: https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lentil-recipes/

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/kerryann-s-chilli-con-veggie/

The Happy Pear and BBC Good Food websites are worth a look, too.

I find lentils need bold flavours. I cook speckled green lentils with thyme and garlic cloves. Cool and add finely chopped celery and carrot, maybe some cherry tomatoes or sundried tomatoes. Dress with a strong vinaigrette add feta and loads of parsley = nice lunch salad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I used them in veggie shepherds pies, usually some red ones to thicken the gravy and then brown or green ones, as they retain shape and are a bit chunkier.

There's also this chili recipe, which I think is one of the best ones ever.

Personally, I also love lentil pate, something like this for example.

And of course, you can easily make koftas or burger patties out of them, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

The pate sounds delicious, Shenshen! Will make that tomorrow if there are mushrooms in my veg box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Shenshen wrote: »
    Personally, I also love lentil pate, something like this for example.

And of course, you can easily make koftas or burger patties out of them, too.

Aw man, lentil pate sounds amazing! I actually just used some leftover green lentils in some sweet potato patty things for my 9 month old and toddler (sweet potato, cumin, garlic, cheddar cheese, spring onion, egg and green lentils). They are delicious, I am delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pigtail33

+1 on the Jamie Oliver Lentil Chilli

I've also made this a few times:
    https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/mushroom-lentil-pappardelle-bolognese/

I add extra dried herbs and whatever mushrooms I have in the fridge. I have adapted it to cook in the Instant Pot, so it is a lot quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I make nice lentil soup but its only nice when you fry chirozo and chop it through it with roasted onions.Otherwise its just slop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I use lentils in vegetarian lasagne. I use the tinned version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

This is nice. I like it anyway :) Good for snacks too.

225g red lentils
    450ml water
    Large onion chopped
    25g butter
    100g grated cheddar
    1 teaspoon mixed herbs
    1 egg
    25g wholemeal breadcrumbs
    Salt and pepper to taste

Cook lentils in water until soft and water absorbed. Fry chopped onion in the butter. Combine all ingredients then and press into an oiled 9 inch / 23cm sandwich tin. Bake at 190 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve hot or cold in wedges

From my tattered copy of The Cranks Recipe Book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Smiles35 wrote: »
    I use lentils in vegetarian lasagne. I use the tinned version.

I used green lentils in a vegetable lasagne last night and it was delicious. It really bulked it up so will definitely be a staple in the house, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭tamara25

I used green lentils in a vegetable lasagne last night and it was delicious. It really bulked it up so will definitely be a staple in the house, thanks!

There is a really nice receipe for vegetarian shepherds pie on dunnes stores Facebook page at the moment using red lentils. I got all the ingredients earlier & going to see what’s it like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I use the green ones to make a great but simple sheppardless pie. Prefer it to the meat version

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

The BBC Nut Roast is incredible, full of flavor and texture and works with anything.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/nut-loaf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

They are excellent with some pasta as recommended above. good substitute for beef and very healthy.

I lost about 5% body weight over 3 months with a lentil dinner every 3 Nights as opposed to beef.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Puy lentils are great mixed with roast veg and served warm.

Or with salad veggies, parsely, evoo and lemon juice or wine vinegar, served cold.

Good as a side also with sausages or fish.

A little serving, as they are quite filling.

Just be careful when cooking them as they go from underdone to overdone quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've done a sort of cottage pie using green lentils and aubergine.
    Usual mix of onion, carrot, celery, tomato, stock, herbs etc.

The combination of the lentils and aubergine (diced small) is incredibly like minced beef.
    I reckon my vegie cottage pie would fool many a diner who wasn't inspecting every fork full.

kylith wrote: »

That sounds delicious, saved for later (must get some more smoked paprika, love the stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Happy4all wrote: »
    I use the green ones to make a great but simple sheppardless pie. Prefer it to the meat version

Yeah green lentils are great in anything where you would normally use mince, shepherds pie, lasagne, curries.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Yottam Ottolenghi's coconut and lentil soup is delicious!

Musefan wrote: »
    Yottam Ottolenghi's coconut and lentil soup is delicious!

I found this, it sounds delicious.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hadrienbennett.co.uk/yotam-ottolenghis-curried-lentil-coconut-soup-vegan/amp/

Second post that suggests combining lentils and coconut, which I have never done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Shenshen wrote: »
    I used them in veggie shepherds pies, usually some red ones to thicken the gravy and then brown or green ones, as they retain shape and are a bit chunkier.

Same here, use the green ones and it makes a very tasty pie. I also put chickpeas in. I'm not a vegetarian so have been known to cheat and add chicken stock, but you can easily do it without.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

https://thestingyvegan.com/red-lentil-chili/

I love this chilli . Great for batch cooking too/m. There’s loads of other lentil recipes on this site as well but I’ve only done the above so far :)

Just bought this in Aldi.

Haven't tried it yet, but for non vegetarians, perhaps it might be a good starting point with a pork chop?

IMG-20200622-200241.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

I've done a sort of cottage pie using green lentils and aubergine.
    Usual mix of onion, carrot, celery, tomato, stock, herbs etc.

The combination of the lentils and aubergine (diced small) is incredibly like minced beef.
    I reckon my vegie cottage pie would fool many a diner who wasn't inspecting every fork full.

I've done veggie lasagne using the same lentil/aubergine mixture. Lovely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I love the Hari Ghotra red lentil dahl - last time I put in chilli flakes and an entire huge red chilli and nearly burnt the apartment down :D

https://www.harighotra.co.uk/indian-recipes-lentils

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Lentil soup ...lentils and any type of veg, make a big pot and freeze what's left over, i usually have it 2 or 3 days a week for lunch, cheap easy to make and very filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

My basic go-to soup is 225g red lentils, 1 leek or onion, 1 litre stock.
    Saute onion/leek, add lentils and stock, boil. 20 mins later - SOUP! throw in a bit of garlic, or chili powder if that's your thing.
    Mmmmmm. Good for freezer too.

Lentil Loaf:
    225g lentils (Red or yellow)
    600 ml stock
    220g grated cheese
    1 leek/Onion
    some roughly chopped or sliced mushrooms (I don't like a lot, so I don't know quantities)
    1 egg, beaten
    Boil lentils in stock for 20 mins
    Add sauteed onion/Leek and mushrooms
    Add cheese, and combine all
    Add egg, (which will help to bind the loaf)
    Put all into 1lb loaf tin
    Cook at 180C for 1 hour.
    You can slice this and freeze it into individual portions.
    Ping a slice in the Microwave for 2 mins, add potatoes and veg, boom, Dinner. Best with gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ktsul

https://supervalu.ie/real-food/recipes/butternut-squash-and-lentil-curry

I make this regular, its great for freezing portions to have when working shift work.
    But I add plenty of garlic and tomato puree to it. I prefer basmati rice to wholegrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

This is the greatest lentil recipe that has ever been conceived:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/11109653/Hugh-Fearnley-Whittingstalls-chicken-with-lentils-recipe.html

INGREDIENTS

2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
    1 large onion, sliced
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    Leaves from 2 sprigs of rosemary
    200g red lentils, well rinsed
    500ml chicken or veg stock
    8 skin-on, bone-in, free-range chicken thighs, or 1 medium chicken (about 1.75kg/4lb), jointed into 6-8 pieces
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Flat-leaf parsley, chopped, to finish

METHOD

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4.

Choose a flameproof casserole dish or a wide, ovenproof pan that will hold all the chicken pieces snugly but comfortably. Put the casserole on a medium-low heat. Add the oil, then the onion and cook, stirring regularly, for six to eight minutes until it begins to soften. Add the garlic, rosemary and some salt and pepper. Cook gently for a further five minutes, then stir in the lentils and stock.

Season the chicken thighs and place skin-side up in the casserole. You want most of the chicken skin to remain exposed above the liquid in the dish so it can brown in the oven. Bring to a simmer on the hob, then transfer to the oven and bake, uncovered, for one hour. Check that the chicken is cooked right through and the lentils are soft. If not, return to the oven for 10-15 minutes and test again.

Skim off any excess fat from the surface. Taste the lentilly liquor and add more salt or pepper if needed. Serve, scattered with chopped parsley, just as it is or with steamed broccoli or spring greens on the side.

I'm not even joking. This is the GOAT lentil recipe. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement