Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PlayStation 2 Slim FMCB

• 03-05-2020 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

I'm looking into getting a fmcb memory card for my PS2 as I don't use it a lot anymore and if I get the card, I might use it a bit more.

Just had a few questions:

I'm looking at two cards on eBay, one is an original 8mb card and the other card is a dattel 16mb card.

Which one should I get?

I've had a dattel card for around 11 years now with all my saves on it and it works fine but for fmcb I'm not sure whether I should get it or not.

Also, Is it ok to keep save files on the memory card with fmcb on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Looks like once the card is decent, it shouldn't matter on the whole size thing.
    In terms of using the FMCB card for saves, the suggestion is that you can but it isn't recommended as saves can take up a chunk of data and you prob don't want to fill up the FMCB card.

Also, found out that FMCB doesn't work with a PS2 'Test' console the hard way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015

KeRbDoG wrote:
    Looks like once the card is decent, it shouldn't matter on the whole size thing. In terms of using the FMCB card for saves, the

KeRbDoG wrote:
    is that you can but it isn't recommended as saves can take up a chunk of data and you prob don't want to fill up the FMCB card.

KeRbDoG wrote:
    Also, found out that FMCB doesn't work with a PS2 'Test' console the hard way

Thanks, I ended up just buying an original 8mb card. I'll probably put saves on this other unofficial blank card I have. Is a PS2 Test console a fat or Slim PS2.

I know that the slim is much more reliable than the fat.

Thanks, I ended up just buying an original 8mb card. I'll probably put saves on this other unofficial blank card I have. Is a PS2 Test console a fat or Slim PS2.

I know that the slim is much more reliable than the fat.
    Mine is a fat but I think they also made slim versions - used by devs to test their games from DVD-Rs and the like

KeRbDoG wrote:
    Mine is a fat but I think they also made slim versions - used by devs to test their games from DVD-Rs and the like

Oh, ok.

A major plus point on the fat model is the expansion bay,but the slim is much more portable.

KeRbDoG wrote:
    Also, found out that FMCB doesn't work with a PS2 'Test' console the hard way

Did you brick it completely?

• Advertisement

Ah no - just wouldn't boot the card. Wanted to load up the HDD loader without having to use the optical drive

KeRbDoG wrote:
    Ah no - just wouldn't boot the card. Wanted to load up the HDD loader without having to use the optical drive

Oh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

You are better off with a Fat PS2 with expansion port and hard drive. Have tried slim but games are very gltchy on loading screens and cut screens also load times are very slow. PS2 fat setup with free mcboot, hard drive and expansion port using OPL runs very quick and smoothly. Loving my current setup as I loaded all my disk games from back in day on a 250gb hard drive and load up times are quick. Not bothered about loads of games and large hard drives as I only want to play for nostalgic reasons and have all the latest consoles for most of my gaming fixes.

To cut a long story short - PS2 Fat - network adapter SATA or IDE and Free McBoot a hard drive and you are up and running without any lag or glitchy cut scenes.

Danick wrote:
    You are better off with a Fat PS2 with expansion port and hard drive. Have tried slim but games are very gltchy on loading screens and cut screens also load times are very slow. PS2 fat setup with free mcboot, hard drive and expansion port using OPL runs very quick and smoothly. Loving my current setup as I loaded all my disk games from back in day on a 250gb hard drive and load up times are quick. Not bothered about loads of games and large hard drives as I only want to play for nostalgic reasons and have all the latest consoles for most of my gaming fixes.

Danick wrote:
    To cut a long story short - PS2 Fat - network adapter SATA or IDE and Free McBoot a hard drive and you are up and running without any lag or glitchy cut scenes.

Yeah,but it's doing the job for me so far.

I'm using a 320gb hard drive in an enclosure and games work well except for cutscenes but I always skip them anyway.

Yeah,but it's doing the job for me so far.

I'm using a 320gb hard drive in an enclosure and games work well except for cutscenes but I always skip them anyway.

How do you find the loading times on the slim from the external drive - I read they are slower than an actual disk whereas the fat with internal drive is much faster than disk loading times.

• Advertisement

Danick wrote:
    How do you find the loading times on the slim from the external drive - I read they are slower than an actual disk whereas the fat with internal drive is much faster than disk loading times.

Some cutscenes are really slow and the loading times are slower but overall it's not too bad.

Some cutscenes are really slow and the loading times are slower but overall it's not too bad.

Cool - as long as you are happy with it - enjoy one of the best consoles of all time

Seems there is a mod-less/McBoot-less 'boot direct from DVD" exploit being worked on for the PS2

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Seems there is a mod-less/McBoot-less 'boot direct from DVD" exploit being worked on for the PS2

Good news for slim PS2s but Phat PS2 dvd players must be nearly on their last legs and the hard drive Free McBoot method is so easy - no need for physical media and loading times are much faster using this method with a phat PS2.

KeRbDoG wrote:

Yeah, I waited at least five years before getting FMCB and now this exploit comes out.

Danick wrote:
    Good news for slim PS2s but Phat PS2 dvd players must be nearly on their last legs and the hard drive Free McBoot method is so easy - no need for physical media and loading times are much faster using this method with a phat PS2.

I've had my PS2 slim since 2009 and most of my friends had a phat model. They either sold them or threw them away due to the laser failing and unawareness of FMCB.

But you are correct, most Phat PS2's are near the end of their life. Though, we have to hand it to Sony for slimming down the PS2 in 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

There's a few reasons to like this new exploit:

1) Traditionally FMcB needs an already exploited console to be instaled...OR....you need to buy a memory card with the exploit on it. This new exploit means anyone will be able to exploit their own PS2's without having to buy pre-loaded memory cards.

2) Direct-booting media is very very handy at times, without having to be transferred to HDD etc.

3) It's always good to have more people analysing and exploiting console security...so while the PS2 was already exploited, this new method appears really quick & easy.

That said, FMcB would still be my exploit of choice for PS2...you just can't beat the convenience of having your library installed on HDD, reduced loading times, etc.

One thing I haven't seen answered anywhere on this new exploit, I presume it can't get around the baked-in region of the console in order to play import games?

sugarman wrote:
    Like most disc based systems, they usually just need a bit of TLC.

sugarman wrote:
    I've never had a drive I haven't been able to fix. The vast majority of "laser" issues are usually mechanical issues with motors, rails, belts, cogs etc.. rather than the laser itself. When it is the laser, I've been able to revive them with a pot adjustment that have lasted anywhere between months and over a decade ..and when its completely knackered it can be easily swapped out for less than a tenner these days.

sugarman wrote:
    I've actually got 2 PS2's on the way for repair, a slim and a Phat. I'll stick an update in the repairs thread when I get a look at them next week.

sugarman wrote:
    But yeah... back on topic. Dont really see the point in physical backups anymore when you can just play them via FMCB and a Harddrive/USB. Even on a slim its not an awful experience. Mostly just cut scenes that suffer stuttering.

Yeah, Most drives are easy to fix and FMCB with an external hard drive isn't all that bad, some games load faster than their disc versions, like the Simpsons Road Rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

This new hack is useful for creating FreeMcboot memory cards on unmodded consoles and that's about it...

Don't get me wrong, this is a brilliant technical piece of work and typically the holy grail of hacks. But I doubt many will be remastering their collection of game iso to boot on a nearly knackered dvd-drive when hdd solutions are so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

sugarman wrote: »
    You dont need a modded console though, you can create a FMCB install with a game exploit and disc swap with a modified image of the game youre using.

I used a copy of MGS 3 Snake Eater, theres 2 dozen other common games that you can do it with.

I even used a Phat PS2 with the lid off on both the console and disc drive as I didnt have a slim.

I know...that's how I done mine :) You still do need an already exploited console though, in this case, you're replacing a game save to actually exploit the console into a state where you can install FMcB. The point is you can't simply create a FMcB memory card on a vanilla console.

With this new method, you'll be able to create a FMcB memory card simply by running a disc...no previous exploits needed.

• Advertisement

Ah, its easy to replace the lens on the fat PS2 if needed if they are on their last legs

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

little tutorial on how to install free mcboot with the new freedvdboot trick:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9xIFI_k77U

little tutorial on how to install free mcboot with the new freedvdboot trick:

MrMario's tutorial's are the best.

Advertisement