Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Healthcare the new Army Deafness Claims

• 30-06-2020 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

From another thread and on the media recently, a number of healthcare staff contracted the virus.
    ShineOn7 wrote: »

Will this be the new Army Deafness Claims that will be imposed on a struggling Health System in the years to come?

I would hope the new Health Minister acts proactively and cuts off any attempt from nurses, cleaners and porters to this pandemic to extract compensation the same way as the Army did during the 90s and 00s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The nursing union has already demanded that work acquired Covid-19 be classed as a personal injury - so that their members can cash in no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

The nursing union has already demanded that work acquired Covid-19 be classed as a personal injury - so that their members can cash in no doubt.

Yep or else I can them trying to claim for PTSD. Such claims for personal injury should not be entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,399 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

salonfire wrote: »
    Yep or else I can them trying to claim for PTSD. Such claims for personal injury should not be entertained.

If you got hurt/injured at work should you not be entitled to claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Surely being exposed to various pathogens is part and parcel of beint a healthcare professional? If they can prove that their workplaces didn't follow standard protection protocol then maybe they would have a case but otherwise, dont become a doctor or nurse if you don't want a higher chance of getting sick?

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Surely being exposed to various pathogens is part and parcel of beint a healthcare professional? If they can prove that their workplaces didn't follow standard protection protocol then maybe they would have a case but otherwise, dont become a doctor or nurse if you're scared of getting sick?

Thats like refusing a bus driver or a taxi driver compensation for an accident because there is a risk of being in an accident when driving XXXX amount of hour a day/week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

It's more like being a boxer and then claiming after your hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Who can citizens sue for getting covid 19???

Jesus christ this country.

Its no wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Jizique

Thats like refusing a bus driver or a taxi driver compensation for an accident because there is a risk of being in an accident when driving XXXX amount of hour a day/week.

Wait till the teachers hear this - it might encourage them to return 😀

It's more like being a boxer and then claiming after your hurt

Boxers know for sure they are going to get hurt, do you think Nigel Benn would have fought Eubanks if he knew what was going to happen?

Did any nurses fall off a swing while this happened?? 60g's baby

• Advertisement

Boxers know for sure they are going to get hurt, do you think Nigel Benn would have fought Eubanks if he knew what was going to happen?

And nurses know they are working with infectious diseases and could be infected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Surely being exposed to various pathogens is part and parcel of beint a healthcare professional? If they can prove that their workplaces didn't follow standard protection protocol then maybe they would have a case but otherwise, dont become a doctor or nurse if you don't want a higher chance of getting sick?

I agree. I expect the angle will be a lack of PPE or other failings.
    Given how onerous the standard of care that the Courts impose can be it seems possible that at least one or two shortcomings in responding to a once in a century global pandemic will be identified.

And nurses know they are working with infectious diseases and could be infected

And taxi/bus drivers know they may get in an accident, same with cyclists, same with construction workers.

Just because you may get sick/hurt doesn't mean you accept it as part of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭blackbox

If staff followed correct procedures with PPE they would have been very unlikely to get infected.

If PPE wasn't available, that is a different matter - More likely a nursing home issue.

Hurt or injured due to obvious failings on behalf of the employer, yes.

Catching a virus, flu or others, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

For compensation, you have to prove you suffered a loss.
    Army deafness claims are different in that loss of hearing, or diminished hearing, is permanent and effects you every day (I know there are question marks over the degree to which some in the Army were effected but that is a different matter).

In the case of most health care workers who contracted Covid-19, they just had to stay at home for two weeks (or possibly more if the INMO woman stats last week are correct) on full pay. As it stands, I'm not sure they can really claim to have suffered an actual loss, unless they died. Having a virus and recovering is hardly a loss.

Health care workers had the most testing of anyone so its likely all, or nearly all their cases were detected, including many cases where the person probably wasn't particularly ill and wouldn't have otherwise known they had it, particularly for those under 50. It remains to be seen if there is any long term health implications of the virus but I'd imagine that, by the time this has been proven and current health care workers get through the legal process on a claim, many of those currentlyover 50 could have died of other causes anyway. By definition, proving long term effects will take a long time as you need to study those who were infected in 20/30 years time, compile results, get peer reviewed, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Pete_Cavan wrote: »

Health care workers had the most testing of anyone so its likely all, or nearly all their cases were detected, including many cases where the person probably wasn't particularly ill and wouldn't have otherwise known they had it, particularly for those under 50. It remains to be seen if there is any long term health implications of the virus but I'd imagine that, by the time this has been proven and current health care workers get through the legal process on a claim, many of those currentlyover 50 could have died of other causes anyway. By definition, proving long term effects will take a long time as you need to study those who were infected in 20/30 years time, compile results, get peer reviewed, etc.

What you're talking about is more about exposure to carcinogens/toxins and development of cancers years later.

Things like strokes related to Covid would be seen acutely and be massively impairing.

Just as I predicted, the grubby hands are out for more

https://extra.ie/2020/07/26/news/irish-news/health-staff-want-covid-designated-as-workplace-safety-issue-are-to-seek-compensation
    ICTU wrote:
    Member unions of the Irish Congress of Trade Unions – which represents 55 separate trade unions and 832,000 workers – not only believe health workers should be compensated for becoming ill with the virus, they also claim health workers should be given pay-outs for the stress of dealing with Covid patients and their families.

At a time when the Health Service needs every penny for actual delivery of healthcare, not one euro should be given up in these union claims.

"Stress" for doing their jobs. Christ above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Jizique

salonfire wrote: »
    Just as I predicted, the grubby hands are out for more

https://extra.ie/2020/07/26/news/irish-news/health-staff-want-covid-designated-as-workplace-safety-issue-are-to-seek-compensation

At a time when the Health Service needs every penny for actual delivery of healthcare, not one euro should be given up in these union claims.

"Stress" for doing their jobs. Christ above.

They probably think this is what the Irish part of the EU recovery fund is for - lining their pockets while other more exposed sectors of the economy are destroyed (pretty much anything tourism, retail, leisure related)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bad move

They have the whole country on their side

This kind of stunt could lose that support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

In theory, if each of the 8,000 healthcare workers who contracted Covid-19 were to be awarded €50,000 – which could cover loss of earnings and other, so-far unknown, long-term effects of the virus – the bill would come to €400m

Where did they pull that number from? 50k? There is an insurance scheme currently operational in HSE for nursing staff in high risk environments whereby a fractured vertebra has a max claim of 12,500. Where was the 50,000 for contracting a virus pulled from? :pac: I don't think you get 50k for total loss of / removal of a single limb under said scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I did have to wonder a bit at the INMO giving out how wrong it was that health workers were "catapulted" into the middle of the crisis. I'm struggling to see the injustice in health workers having to deal with health issues. That's their job.

Did they expect the HSE to be stood down and hospitals to be shuttered during the pandemic?

It's like joining the army and then feeling hard done by when you of all people are tasked with defending the country from attack.

Advertisement