Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Act now before classic cars are banned

Options
  • 28-06-2020 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

What am I talking about? the Programme for Government, on P34 - available here: https://www.greenparty.ie/programme-for-government/ contains a commitment to introduce a Climate Action (Amendment) Bill 2020 within the next three months. This will, among other things "Ban the sale of new and the importation of second hand petrol and diesel cars from 2030".

I don't know how anyone else here feels about that, but personally I don't really mind, except I really, really hope that they will make an exception for classic cars. In my mind that's anything over 30 years old.

If you agree with me, or if you want to make a view known about this, I would encourage you to write to any of:
    Your local TD (ideally the person elected to whom you gave the highest preference) - google them to get contact details or use firstname.lastname@oireachtas.ie
    Eamon Ryan as Minister for Transport, in his Departmental office
    Any motoring organisations that might make a submission on this issue.

I would strongly suggest putting your opinion in your own words and not being abusive. They are going to introduce this Bill and it is going to do what it says in the PfG, so I'd say a flat out rant against it will be of limited effectiveness - better to give some suggestions. Ask them to support an exemption (if that's what you're asking), and ask them to raise the issue with Minister Ryan. Give your full name and address in correspondence.

I asked for an exemption for cars more than 30 years old and made the point that hobby and enthusiast use has a very limited environmental impact while being an important social outlet. You may have other views - the important thing is that they're not a copy/paste.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Exemption is already in place. Petrol / diesel cars will no longer get an NCT from 2046, so they will effectively be banned from then on. But cars that are over 40 years old are exempt from NCT. So any classic car as long as it is at least from 2005 or older, will be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I think we have bigger problems than that - with Eamon (fookin) Ryan et all in the government and lunatics running DCC - we'll only be allowed walk or cycle anywhere in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

unkel wrote: »
    Exemption is already in place. Petrol / diesel cars will no longer get an NCT from 2046, so they will effectively be banned from then on. But cars that are over 40 years old are exempt from NCT. So any classic car as long as it is at least from 2005 or older, will be fine!

That's only of use if the car is already in Ireland though - the details set out above would mean you can't register a classic car from outside Ireland from 2030 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

kdevitt wrote: »
    That's only of use if the car is already in Ireland though - the details set out above would mean you can't register a classic car from outside Ireland from 2030 onwards.

By Jove, I think he’s got it�� So in 9 years time classic car imports will be banned which is very bad for our hobby and the people that rely on our hobby. The classic car industry contributes so little towards environmental pollution it should be exempted. It receives a derogation in most countries it’s therefore reasonable to assume that they don’t intended to grant one unless put under pressure. Can you all pen/email a logical and coherent argument to your TD’s,,, we don’t have much time left.

The time for pub talk has gone, the links are above.

That's only of use if the car is already in Ireland though

So let's start gathering them up quickly then :D

With the UK out of the EU effectively in 6 months time, importing cars from there will be pretty much a thing of the past anyway. And let's be honest, 99% of classic cars coming into Ireland from abroad came in from the UK.

• Advertisement

So let's start gathering them up quickly then :D

With the UK out of the EU effectively in 6 months time, importing cars from there will be pretty much a thing of the past anyway. And let's be honest, 99% of classic cars coming into Ireland from abroad came in from the UK.

Hard to say if that will be the case, even if it does look like no deal at the moment - I'd imagine the UK will want to keep cars free from duty on their side.

And even if we do end up with duty and VAT on imports, it never stopped vast amounts of us importing cars from Japan.

Either way, my wife won't allow me have any more cars at the moment - although 2030 is some time off - who knows what I'll want to buy at that stage.

And even if we do end up with duty and VAT on imports, it never stopped vast amounts of us importing cars from Japan.

That's true on the face of it, but the reason behind that is that the cars second hand in Japan were worth very little and VAT and import duty are based on the invoice value

A UK car suddenly being 35% more expensive come 01/01/2021 and that's before any VRT or NOx charges won't look as attractive any more as it does now

That's true on the face of it, but the reason behind that is that the cars second hand in Japan were worth very little and VAT and import duty are based on the invoice value

A UK car suddenly being 35% more expensive come 01/01/2021 and that's before any VRT or NOx charges won't look as attractive any more as it does now

Again true, but if I want to buy an Alpina in RHD, and its not available in Ireland - there's only one place I can buy it. We are talking about classics here too - so even if duty and VAT are lobbed on the price, there is no NOX charge and only a €200 reg fee.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There has always been a classic car market and there'll always be people who like to pursue this as an interest so I'd see common sense prevailing when the time comes.

spacetweek wrote: »
    There has always been a classic car market and there'll always be people who like to pursue this as an interest so I'd see common sense prevailing when the time comes.

The Greens are looking to pass this into law by September, the time to try and get some common sense injected here is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 mi99

hello i think it could be getting late lobbying local td but however my idea is to get a gov party on our side could be worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Do the NCT / VRT crowd always insist that the car is a runner before you can register it here? I’ve one car that is literally mostly boxes of bits, and three others on uk plates, complete but non-runners all, and all brought into the country years ago. I’m sure I’m not the only one in this situation. If I take a complete car to be inspected on a trailer, what’s the chances they’ll ask me to start it up ? I want to register them all here, but have no chance of getting any of them running before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭User1998

All you need to do is be able to open the bonnet and show them the VIN, and the battery needs to have power because they need to take note of the mileage. The engine doesn’t need to be running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

User1998 wrote: »
    the battery needs to have power because they need to take note of the mileage.
    How many classics have electronic odometers? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

How many classics have electronic odometers? :)

1984 Audi Quattro?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I contacted Roderic O'Gorman, my local TD, about this. In fairness to him he got back to me within 24 hours with a response.

There is no decision on a ban on importing classic/vintage cars. It will be up to a future Minister to decide how they are treated come 2030. That is, the law can be passed now but won't come into effect until 2030 but regulations can be passed by Ministerial order at that time to expempt certain cars/ classes of cars.

So we will need to start lobbying in about 2028, I'd say.

Cui bono?

Advertisement