Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar's Walrus - The Reveal

• 28-06-2020 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome everyone, to the reveal thread!

A reminder of the categories.

1. By The Numbers ; speaking of numbers I'd like a song with a number in the song title for this first category. Simple.
    Green&Red has done this round before, but that was quite some time ago, and before I was even participating in Walrus (although I have since looked back at that round) so more numbers it is...

2. #BlackCultureMatters ; part of the Black Lives Matter campaign is promoting Black Culture by Black Artists, so that's what I want here. A song from a Black Artist.

3. Looks Like Rain, Ted! ; we're big fans of talking about the weather in this Country, and there are plenty of songs about the weather or with references to weather in their song titles, so that's what I want from this category.

4. Animal Instinct ; in this category I want a song from a Band (or Solo Artist) with an Animal in their Band Name, of which there are plenty to choose from (any type of animal - Mammal, Insect, Reptile, Bird, Fish, Mythical, whatever).

5. All Things Heaven & Hell ; after love songs, the most popular subject matter for songs are probably to do with Heaven and Hell, Angels and Demons, etc, so anything along those lines is what we're going for here

6. Year of the Rabbit ; I was born in 1987 which was the Year of the Rabbit in the Chinese Zodiac, so I'm looking for a song that was released (as a single or an album track) in one of the Years of the Rabbit, which of the 20th and 21st Century were 1903, 1915, 1927, 1939, 1951, 1963, 1975, 1987, 1999, and 2011.

7. As Seen on TV ; Television has played a big part in my life and my career, so I've always had a soft spot for TV Theme Songs, which is what I'm looking for here.

Everyone ready for some music?

giphy.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Going to run the By The Numbers reveal this evening from 8pm

I did mention that there were potential bonus points to grab in each round if anyone selected any of the 5 songs I had pre-chosen for each round. No one picked up any bonus points here, but to whet the appetite for tonight, here are the songs I had selected myself. Perhaps they'll give an indication as to how well you may have done, or not, who knows... ;)

Mike Doughty - 27 Jennifers

The Connells - '74'75

Damien Rice - 9 Crimes

Lukas Graham - 7 Years

Redgum - I Was Only 19 (A Walk In The Light Green)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I thought of the Connells 74-75 but only after I had sent in my answers :(

Someone else actually mentioned it in their post as one they had been thinking of for the category but opted for something else. Can't remember who said it.

Edit: it was yoss

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

had it in my short list as well. oh well!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,267 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Oh dear, I don't have high hopes for my offering in this round. At least I didn't go with my first choice, 1977 by The Clash. I think that definitely would have been last.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Oh dear, I don't have high hopes for my offering in this round. At least I didn't go with my first choice, 1977 by The Clash. I think that definitely would have been last.

They're just some of the first few songs that popped in to my head to be honest, I'm not saying they're the best songs in the world. Don't think any of them would fare too well if I was ranking them against some of the stuff that was entered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I also thought of sending the Connells haha!

(Actually can't remember what I sent...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

I expect this to go poorly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I should have went more obscure. No doubt my first pick will be last.

RasTa wrote: »
    I should have went more obscure. No doubt my first pick will be last.

giphy.gif

You'll just have to wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Quick work getting through them!

Probably not around at 8 but will be online later, hopefully before you announce my win ;)

Quick work getting through them!

Been doing nothing else for days. No point dragging the arse out of it.

Tús maith, leath na h-oibre, and all that jazz...

giphy.gif

...and all that jazz...
    Wait, what? Who the hell submitted jazz?!

Wait, what? Who the hell submitted jazz?!

You got a problem with jazz?

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

You got a problem with jazz?

tumblr_ntt96n8ABj1szbfero1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Ah jaysus, I had 7 years written down, mainly due to it being played on the kids playlist when I was thinking of songs, then chose something else :pac:

Trigger wrote: »
    Ah jaysus, I had 7 years written down, mainly due to it being how long my reveal is taking
    Fixed your post :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Fixed your post :pac:

tenor.gif?itemid=15664239

EN null Pointe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Looks like quiet a few of us have great taste in music since many people (including me) considered The Connells, really wish i sent them now

Before I start, just want to say that there was a really high standard in this Round overall, so most of the songs down the lower end of the table were ones I still really liked, but were just up against some stronger competition.

Going to start the reveal with the songs in the middle of the pack and work my way outwards alternating between the higher and lower ranking songs.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

14th and getting 13 points
    Kolido

Pulp - Disco 2000

I won't lie, I thought I hated this song, and it was initially straight in to the bottom three, but like Stockholm Syndrome when held captive by it and forced to listen to it a couple of times, it really grew on me and shot up the ranks. I've been converted, and I am now officially a fan of Disco 2000.

13th and getting 14 points is
    Sawduck

Eddie Money - Two Tickets To Paradise

Ah yeah, Two Tickets To Paradise, absolute classic. Remember hearing this a good bit as a kid and always loved it. Absolutely fantastic chorus, and nice little guitar solo in the middle.

15th and getting 12 points is
    beakerjoe

Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen

Very familiar with this song of course being a big fan of Fleetwood Mac, and I also enjoy Stevie's solo outings. Edge of Seventeen is great, I'm a fan of it, but I've probably overplayed it over the years to the point its lost some of its appeal, and a lot of other songs in the category just left more of an impression to be honest.

12th and getting 15 points
    phatkev

Bon Iver - 00000 Million

I know some of Bon Iver's stuff, but was never really inspired to check out much of his back catalogue. Hadn't heard this one before, but found it really easy to just sit back, close my eyes and get lost in it. Definitely interested in properly listening to some more Bon Iver based on this one anyway.

16th and getting 11 points is
    osh

Schneider TM & KPT.Michi.Gan - The Light 3000

Didn't think much of this one on the first listen and had it ranked much further down the table, but it slowly started crawling up the ranks with each listen, probably because it has a really infectious hypnotic beat to it, and began working it's magic on me.

11th and getting 16 points is
    Gru

Foo Fighters - The One

Foo Fighters are one of my favourite bands, seen them live several times, always great to see them make an appearance. The One wouldn't be one of my favourites of theirs, but it's still Foo Fighters and it's still great. Nice choice.

I should probably add, I was fairly lazy when it came to writing notes, so apologies for not giving anything too in depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

16th and getting 11 points is
    osh

Schneider TM & KPT.Michi.Gan - The Light 3000

Didn't think much of this one on the first listen and had it ranked much further down the table, but it slowly started crawling up the ranks with each listen, probably because it has a really infectious hypnotic beat to it, and began working it's magic on me.

Robot Morrissey is weird

17th and getting 10 points is
    tusk

Metallica - The Unforgiven II

I'm not too gone on Metallica, I do know and like some of their songs, but they've never left that much of an impression on me. I'm fairly sure I'd heard this one before though, but don't think I gave it much credit, probably because I felt at the time that it paled in comparison to it's predecessor. The Unforgiven is my favourite Metallica track, but as sequels go, this is pretty damn good. It definitely grew on me.

• Advertisement

10th and with 17 points is
    cj maxx

Blur - Song 2

Who doesn't love a bit of Blur? Not my favourite Blur song by any means, but that never stops me losing my sh*t and moshing about the place everytime it comes on. I may or may not have been kicked out of a couple of bars back in my college days for jumping off furniture when this song came on.

Advertisement