Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clenergy EV chargers

• 26-06-2020 12:23pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Might as well start a thread on these guys as don't remember them being mentioned before.
    They have a Rapid in Casey's Roscommon town and it's a dual header CHAdeMO and CCS with both rated at 80kW
    Current cost is 33c per kWh

I believe you have to top up your account with this crowd before using the charger.

Just the one charger in the whole island...

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

slave1 wrote: »
    Might as well start a thread on these guys as don't remember them being mentioned before.
    They have a Rapid in Casey's Roscommon town and it's a dual header CHAdeMO and CCS with both rated at 80kW
    Current cost is 33c per kWh

I believe you have to top up your account with this crowd before using the charger.

Just the one charger in the whole island...

Neat, but a pain in the ass that it works on a credit system and not card. Yet another app/account needed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tell me about it, am with eCars, ChargePoint, EasyGo, EVcharge Online and Clenergy at this stage, still have to look into Ionity
    I have various other EV apps on the phone, Tesla, Nissan EV, Leaf Spy, My Leaf, Plugshare, Zap-Map and ABRP, still probably missing some...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Neat, but a pain in the ass that it works on a credit system and not card. Yet another app/account needed

The government should do what uk is pushing. That all public rapid chargers must take cards payments as well as any memberships. This would allow people not to be caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Or like Tesla. No need for any app, any dongle, any card, any payments, any buttons or card readers on the fast chargers. Just grab the cable, stick it into your car and it will start charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    Or like Tesla. No need for any app, any dongle, any card, any payments, any buttons or card readers on the fast chargers. Just grab the cable, stick it into your car and it will start charging.

To be fair you do have a Tesla account with an attached credit card but it is a good system in that the charger and car exchange VIN data to authenticate you.

What is needed though is the ability to charge at any charge point with just a contactless payment. That shouldn’t be hard at this stage for all of them to implement. Should be mandatory by now.

• Advertisement

and just added Polar for NI chargepoints...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »

To be fair you do have a Tesla account with an attached credit card but it is a good system in that the charger and car exchange VIN data to authenticate you.

What is needed though is the ability to charge at any charge point with just a contactless payment. That shouldn’t be hard at this stage for all of them to implement. Should be mandatory by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

KCross wrote: »

It's not hard but it is expensive. The transaction costs for unattended card devices is far higher than a regular terminal in a shop. Plus the hardware needs to be replaced every few years as security standards change and, unless you're willing to take a risk on unauthenticated transactions, you're looking at fitting a full contact chip reader and PIN pad, not just a contactless antennae so extra expense and repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

KCross wrote: »

At most chargers it would require separate bolt on credit card machine with a sim card and a mobile phone antenna. There is fees for sim card, credit card (higher than direct debit),

Easygo is putting a touch to pay credit card reader at their cork city 50kW hotel charger, and they may roll out if it is a success. They need to replace front face of charger to credit card model. In UK ESB bolted on the outside a reader to existing chargers.

It can be done but is not trivial nor cheap. Often club cards work out cheaper on same charger. I wish they would take cash...APP is far cheaper for provider than RFID card or credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

zg3409 wrote: »
    At most chargers it would require separate bolt on credit card machine with a sim card and a mobile phone antenna. There is fees for sim card, credit card (higher than direct debit),

Easygo is putting a touch to pay credit card reader at their cork city 50kW hotel charger, and they may roll out if it is a success. They need to replace front face of charger to credit card model. In UK ESB bolted on the outside a reader to existing chargers.

It can be done but is not trivial nor cheap. Often club cards work out cheaper on same charger. I wish they would take cash...APP is far cheaper for provider than RFID card or credit card.

The credit card necessity is to help people who are travelling or dont have that exact rfid card. So they still have an option. Still ridiculous that one card cannot do all.

Hmmm i think I have just invented an idea a one4all card for chargers - used with any charger. I think other providers in europe have this though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

and just added Polar for NI chargepoints...

Is Polar now in NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭JohnC.

graememk wrote: »
    Is Polar now in NI?

They appear to have 4. 3 in Asda and one in a car dealer.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

JohnC. wrote: »
    They appear to have 4. 3 in Asda and one in a car dealer.

Ah the one in enniskillen is 2 3kw 3 pin square... although fermanagh is a black spot for fast chargers. they do have on street ones and also tesla destination ones in eyneside.

Have you a link for clenergy.. i googled and there is so many websites and none of them look like the right one.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The credit card necessity is to help people who are travelling or dont have that exact rfid card.

Isn’t that currently how Ionity works if you’ve no account with Maingau or another Ionity provider? Albeit at the €0.79 rate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Hmmm i think I have just invented an idea a one4all card for chargers - used with any charger. I think other providers in europe have this though.

standards.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

Isn’t that currently how Ionity works if you’ve no account with Maingau or another Ionity provider? Albeit at the €0.79 rate.

Ionity have no RFID card themselves but you can use RFID cards from others there. They have an app at crazy rates. I don't think you can touch to pay by credit card at any price, but as others have said this was made mandatory in UK on new chargers so at least you would not need correct ap/club card to get a fill up at a charger. Its less bad now, in the past apps were not an option so it was correct RFID card or no power.

ESB do allow once off credit card payments via their website with no account, although it us not obvious nor easy. Simply don't log in and follow through to start a charge.

graememk wrote: »
    Ah the one in enniskillen is 2 3kw 3 pin square... although fermanagh is a black spot for fast chargers. they do have on street ones and also tesla destination ones in eyneside.

Have you a link for clenergy.. i googled and there is so many websites and none of them look like the right one.

Those Tesla destination chargers have bad rep, they are throttled back to low charge rate

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Those Tesla destination chargers have bad rep, they are throttled back to low charge rate

They could have just not been set (dip switches) correctly when installed.
    (Or as you say, that could be intentional).

If someone goes to pay for Petrol they expect to pay in Euro's via card payment or cash, I don't see why it should be different for EV owners, it's already gone out of control, an account for this, card for that ? it's a big turn off.

The charge points could give a receipt of electricity used and the Person should be able to pay this in the shop where the charger is located.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Lots of them are not located at shops. It would also curtail 24-hour access for many of them.

But at least being able to pay with a card at the point would be a good step.

• Advertisement

Card payment should be the standard, it's on vending machines these days for crap food ffs.

Tap card, plug in, pay, simple as it should be.

Fumbel around for cards, fobs, root for aps, it's all nonsense.

Like all those proprietary mobile chargers a few years back we need the EU to step in and force a single platform for payment

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭steves2

I used it at the weekend, had to set it up there and then on the app. I've the Leaf and with the normal chargers it takes too long to charge, 6.6kw an hour so it was handy to use the clenergy one. I'm new to the public charging as it was my first spin where I had to use a public charger. There's a supermacs there and garage so not a bad location.

That place prints money, always loads of activity there

Advertisement