Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i own a paintball gun as a dog deterrent on a farm.

• 25-06-2020 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I own a shotgun and a rifle but i do not want to use live ammo on dogs could i apply for a paintball gun license deter dogs away from my livestock and property?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Rubberball rounds from the shotgun ? Should be legally ok ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would ask if there are options for dealing with dogs that are 'less lethal' (can still potentially kill) rather than ask for a specific type.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Does the noise of a shot not get the dogs running away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

You'd want to be careful here. And of course, IANAL, get proper advice etc etc

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1960/act/17/enacted/en/print.html

You don't have the right to shoot or injure dogs who worry your livestock, but you do have a defence to shooting the dog (the difference is important).

You DO have a right to seize the dog, if it is worrying livestock and there is no owner present.

If you don't plan on shooting the dog, then taking any action which applies kinetic force against the dog, short of shooting it is not covered under the 1960 act and depending on what you did and how it impacted the dog, could open you up to a claim of animal cruelty.

If this were me, and I wasn't planning on shooting the dog, I would take actions to scare it off but not to potentially hurt or harm it. Shoot, scare or seize. There is no middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Strictly speaking, a painball gun is a restricted short firearm and therefore unless you had it licenced before November 2008, you can't licence it now.

Now the above situation only arose because the powers that be screwed up the wording of the legislation and accidentally made them restricted. Kind of like the toy crossbows that shoot foam projectiles are accidentally illegal because they didn't differentiate between toys and the real thing.

Would the Gardai prosecute you for having one, I don't know. But the option is open to them. If the dog owner complained, you could find yourself in hot water.

Best find another way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,932 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

tudderone wrote: »
    Rubberball rounds from the shotgun ? Should be legally ok ?

Nope! As it is "less leathl" ammo it is obviously designed with self defence and riot/crowd control in mind.Ergo,not what your liscense can be or is issued for in Ireland.

Perverse kind of logic to this.If you need to use a firearm here in the ultimate of gravest extremes to defend yourself,you'd hardly need or want less leathl ammo in those circumstances.

As for getting rid of annoying or shutting up mutts,a slingshot is still legal,easily got or made and just as effective with a small rubber ball.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Call the dog warden to deal with it if the dogs are unknown. If you know the dogs and the owner, keep the dogs until the owner comes looking and explain if they do not properly control their dogs you will keep catching them and detain them on your property and call the dog warden to remove them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Black widows are good for shooting tin cans.

Advertisement