Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ridiculous short interval at traffic lights

• 27-06-2020 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

I just want guage how widespread this problem is, but over the last few months, traffic lights sequence in north dublin city (Beaumount, Santry) has changed. Some lights are only green for a brief second on major roads and it means only 2 cars get out at a time.

Anyone else experienced this in other areas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭easyvision

Its the same all over Dublin, apparently to allow pedestrians to not be crowded at lights..... its all over the suburbs though too with little or no pedestrians causing long tailbacks at most sets of lights now and slow drivers taking off as its turning yellow. I think its to get people out of cars also (make traffic so bad that people give up on driving), they wont change the lights back now unless a huge amount of people formally complain which wont happen. God help the country when kids go back to school, a 15min journey will take an hour and walking will be faster literally. Also for some reason ti seems to be giving more time or equal time to minor roads onto major roads and traffic is tailed back on blackrock bypass now most times of the day and this is off peak travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Same in galway .
    I drive for a living so know the lights that are the worst for timing .
    What usually happens at these lights , is the first driver is on their phone , so when the lights go green they're slow to move .
    They of course will get tru but it's the 3rd VECIHCLE on that will struggle to get tru lights .
    That's the main reason why so many motorists are running red lights ... Pure frustration .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

couple of sets along ballymun road which do this, particularly where shangan road crosses it, in the centre of ballymun (i.e. the junction becaise the student accomodation under construction). i haven't spotted any particularly long pedestrian sequences there, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's like when there was no traffic, they switched all the lights to night-time mode, but forgot to switch them back now that traffic is increasing back to near normal levels.

There's a couple of sets on my route home that barely let two cars through, even if they're on the ball.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the ones i know of were on those short sequences long before lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

davindub wrote: »
    I just want guage how widespread this problem is, but over the last few months, traffic lights sequence in north dublin city (Beaumount, Santry) has changed. Some lights are only green for a brief second on major roads and it means only 2 cars get out at a time.

What you are experiencing is the outward spread of Dublin City Council's post COVID-19 strategy.
    This document is available at http://www.dublincity.ie/covidmobilityprogramme and is well worth a read,as it now encompasses some stringent new Policies being introduced in their area,and doubtlessly followed by the other LA's in the GDR.

The scope and extent of these new impositions are all highly arguable in their own right,but the City Council has chosen to use the COVID-19 situation to stifle debate and/or closer scrutiny of these measures.

In addition,as the new Government now takes power,we will see a significant degree of centralized political force behind such schemes,few of which will garner much widespread support amongst Citizens attempting to rebuild their working lives.

In relation to your specific point regarding Traffic Signals,Pages 13 & 14 refer to......
    5.2. Pedestrian Signal Crossings and Waiting Times

In order to reduce the time that people are waiting for pedestrian crossings to turn green, the maximum amount of time allocated to a complete traffic cycle, (allowing all movements in the junction operate, if demanded) has been reduced from 120 seconds to 80 seconds throughout the city. As the amount of time for the pedestrian green and amber man is based on the time taken to safely cross the road, and therefore remains the same, the additional time has been taken from that allocated to vehicles.

This has resulted in shorter green times at all junctions and an expected reduction in traffic capacity of up to 30%. As traffic volumes increase, following advancement through the different phases of Interim Mobility Intervention Programme for Dublin City the government roadmap for easing of restrictions, and while the requirement for social distancing remains in place, the cycle length will remain capped at 80 seconds. This will result in major reduction in capacity for motorised vehicles going forward.

The impact of this on public transport journey times and reliability will also require careful monitoring.

In addition to reducing the wait times for all junctions, a number of pedestrian crossings in the city centre and key locations in urban villages have been set to automatically operate from 7am-7pm to reduce vehicular speed, to aid pedestrian movement and to minimise contact
    with signal push buttons.

Notwithstanding DCC's highly questionable projected Public Transport use fugures, (Page 6) where they suggest a post COVID-19 figure of 80% capacity reduction, whereas from Monday 29th June Dublin's Public Transport capacity level becomes 50%,which begs the question as to whether DCC will have to good grace and competence to recognise this and adjust their "measures" accordingly?
    2019 LIKELY FUTURE POTENTIAL FUTURE

All Public Transport 116,287 80% Capacity Reduction 30,000

Car 57,985 Approx. 30% reduction 41,000
    Taxi 2,661 Assume 30% reduction 1,900

Walk 24,691 Target 100% increase 50,000

Cycle 13,131 Target 200% increase 39,000

Goods 983 No change 1,000

Motorcycles 1,485 No change 1,485

Paying particular attention to DCC's use of the term "Target",it can be seen that Public Transport users are being expected to provide the vast majority of DCC's expected 300% increase in Cycling and 100% increase in Walking.

The manner in which DCC's shrugs it's administrative shoulders in relation to Motorcycling and Goods Vehicle usage,speaks volumes for just how seriously this Document requires strong challenge and rebuttal,particularly as the Council appears fully intent on implementing significant amounts of this policy during the dead of night and with minimal warning to those groups of Road users now very firmly in it's sights.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    It's like when there was no traffic, they switched all the lights to night-time mode, but forgot to switch them back now that traffic is increasing back to near normal levels.

There's a couple of sets on my route home that barely let two cars through, even if they're on the ball.

There's little forgetful in any of this.

It appears that the time for widespread enforced changes in behavioural traits is now to be seized under the cloak of Covid-19 and "Social Distancing".

Take,for example,the Road Safety Authority's expression of concern on the increase in Pedestrian Deaths.

Following a lengthy preamble in which Motorist behaviour was repeatedly referenced,the outgoing CEO manages to hit the bullseye without even realizing it....

https://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/2020/Concern-over-speeding-drivers-as-number-of-pedestrian-deaths-doubles-in-2020-/
    Drivers need to slow down and anticipate increased numbers of people out walking and cycling. I’d also ask drivers to please be conscious of the fact that people out walking will be trying to adhere to social distancing so may have to cross or step out on the road.

Ms Murdoch studiously failed to add " without looking to see if it was safe" as is being demonstrated by misguided masked,earphone wearing,pedestrians throughout the Country,all apparently convinced they will be immediately fatally infected by a 2 second pass of another human being in free air outdoor conditions.

PASSING CLOSE TO SOMEBODY ON THE FOOTPATH WILL NOT KILL YOU FROM COVID-19.......BEING HIT BY A MOTOR VEHICLE MOST LIKELY WILL !

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0627/1150015-coronavirus-covid19-ireland/
    Generally, you need to be 15 minutes or more in the vicinity of an infected person AND within two metres of them, to be considered at-risk, or a close contact.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Walking and cycling will hopefully take off more.

Walking and cycling will hopefully take off more.

As above, with a bit of care being taken on all sides!

I've seen one jogger nearly go under a car, and then 10 steps later almost take out a cyclist when he dodged out off the footpath, and a pal of mine has a broken leg after being knocked off off his bike by a pedestrian - common factor to both, headphones!

We all have to adjust to the New Normal! (that hateful phrase)

headphones are a red herring, it's the looking that counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have noticed a lot like this and it's definitely from the sensors getting use to less traffic, I've never seen them change so quickly.

People are also extremely slow at taking off and are way too busy on their phones.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    the Council appears fully intent on implementing significant amounts of this policy during the dead of night and with minimal warning to those groups of Road users now very firmly in it's sights.
    that's a very strange and over-dramatic way of phrasing it.
    i don't need to be informed beforehand about changes to traffic light sequences; it's not as if i have a countdown in my head of when i expect the light to go green, and go for it when zero is reached; i simply wait for the light to go green.

headphones are a red herring, it's the looking that counts.

That was my point!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Heading south on Clanbrassill St this morning it took over ten minutes to travel from St Circular Rd to Harold's Cross bridge.. each light sequence only allowed about three cars through. Very frustrating.

that's a very strange and over-dramatic way of phrasing it.
    i don't need to be informed beforehand about changes to traffic light sequences; it's not as if i have a countdown in my head of when i expect the light to go green, and go for it when zero is reached; i simply wait for the light to go green.

Traffic light phases are but a single element of the mix.

Facing directly into an impossible manouvering situation following DCC's installation of physical barriers in two seperate locations over a Sat Night/Sun Morning simply underlined the reality.

It is little wonder the RSA are 'concerned' about the rise in Pedestrian fatalities when sister agencies such as DCC pay contractors handsomely to install physical elements without ANY obvious attempt to carry out a risk assessment at the locations concerned.

Take a ramble along to the Nassau St/Kildare Street junction and perhaps briefly wonder why several of the original fixing points had to be hastily con-sawed out of it ....then pedal along to the junction of Chelmsford Rd and Ranelagh Village and wonder aloud why the exact same brute force was also required here..?

It could,of course be just the great unwashed being too set-in-their-ways,to fully appreciate the incredible prowess of DCC's Roads & Engineering professionals,or then again,some might see it as somewhat less thjan talented professionals tinkering around just for the sake of it...I dunno...I'll leave it to those same Professionals to reassure me as the Country attempts to recover.

We should get Eamon Ryan on the case, new transport minister

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Why are pedestrians phases completely separate to traffic phases instead of integrated. Could keep much of the same capacity if lights for ped and vehicle were green in the same direction at the same time

Why are pedestrians phases completely separate to traffic phases instead of integrated. Could keep much of the same capacity if lights for ped and vehicle were green in the same direction at the same time

What I've seen now is the cycle lights fitted the last few years are gradually been tuned to let bikes go 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

Although it sounds nice, for example at a four-way junction if a pedestrian is crossing he has to now step out in front of someone going in the same direction turning left ; unless you have filter lights it doesn't work.

Also given the predilection of red light jumpers you absolutely have to give a huge buffer to pedestrian lights these days for safety purposes . They really really should clamp down on RLJs its the scourge of Dublin

at a lot of lights i know, they are? i.e. you get a specific direction green at lights (straight on cars allowed, left turning not, etc.) because left turning cars would cross a ped crossing showing a green. i may have misunderstood you though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

What I've seen now is the cycle lights fitted the last few years are gradually been tuned to let bikes go 1st.
    Well, naturally Ayatollah Keegan cannot be expected to be kept waiting with the 4-wheeled hoi polloi...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭easyvision

Heading south on Clanbrassill St this morning it took over ten minutes to travel from St Circular Rd to Harold's Cross bridge.. each light sequence only allowed about three cars through. Very frustrating.

This is the new normal. I think its to make driving as slow and annoying as possible so it forces people onto another form of transport, which a lot simply will not do. Dublin will turn into more of a nightmare than it already is. Once schools go back it will literally be faster to walk anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

davindub wrote: »

Just apply the standard motorist attitude. 2 cars on green, 2 through on orange and 1 through on red

easyvision wrote: »
    This is the new normal. I think its to make driving as slow and annoying as possible so it forces people onto another form of transport, which a lot simply will not do. Dublin will turn into more of a nightmare than it already is. Once schools go back it will literally be faster to walk anywhere.

This was already the case it's called traffic. DCC is simply rewarding the most effective modes of transport and its long over due

easyvision wrote: »

It may well be the new 'Normal' deep within Civic Offices.

However,it must be recognised that the thrust of DCC's 'New Reality' policy is ensure that it's target of a 300% INCREASE in Cycling is achieved.

The complementary target of a 100% increase in walking is somewhat more realistic,and is even a by-product of reducing the number of Bus Stops in the central area,thereby ensuring that even Bus Customers get their pedestrian hats on.

The scary aspect is that,from their own figures DCC are effectively hi-jacking Bus Users and advising them that from here on it's the Bike for you....whether you are willing or not !

DCC,and before them the oul' Corpo have aways been great at the Policy stuff...Let them at it I say.....:)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I

The scary aspect is that,from their own figures DCC are effectively hi-jacking Bus Users and advising them that from here on it's the Bike for you....whether you are willing or not !

No body is hi-jacking anyone your basically being presented with options a) take the bus but they are running at half capacity and you might be waiting a while. Also the bus has the highest risk of covid. b) drive but enjoy hell scape traffic when more people start returning to the office. c) cycle if you want, it will be slightly safer than before

i know what you're saying, but this to me only serves to highlight how mind bendingly inefficient cars are at moving people around.
    the distance you mention is 290m, so maybe 60 or 70 people if all the traffic was private cars (allowing 6m per queuing car, 1.25 occupants per car) - in ten minutes. one person every ten seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Just apply the standard motorist attitude. 2 cars on green, 2 through on orange and 1 through on red

It's now one on green (due to red light jumper), one on orange and 1 on red.

It's the most I've seen get through. 3 light wait for less than 10 cars. This is kind of bizarre, in all my years driving in Dublin, the only place I see large concentrations of pedestrians is in the city centre.

Hope they realise that they are not good at realising the consequences of their actions soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

they've changed the lights along the quays to give the cyclists a 20 second head start and artificially slow down the car traffic. The great road diet achieving nothing and infuriating everyone.

• Advertisement

they've changed the lights along the quays to give the cyclists a 20 second head start and artificially slow down the car traffic. The great road diet achieving nothing and infuriating everyone.

You mean the quays that are basically a 24 hour traffic jam?

Advertisement