Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WWE and Coronavirus news

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

When does the onus fall on the wrestlers to stand up for themselves.

It's easy to look at "Big Bad WWE" as not caring (they don't) and wanting the show to go on.

But if you're going to work in an infected warehouse in a state that is a hive of infection then you're the idiot. The wrestlers have never had a better opportunity to go to management as a collective and stand up for themselves. Only a few have done it.

I imagine a lot just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd say it's more about worrying about their positions and looking at opportunities.
    Guys like Reigns pretty much know they'll come back and will still be high on the card. While if it wasn't for the pandemic, would guys like Angel Garza and Crews be where they are and have so much tv time?

Or even look at here. it's my understanding (thankfully I haven't had to look into it) the COVID payments are only happening for those who were laid off by their employer. If someone left for fear of being infected, would they get the same payment?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

yeah, i imagine it's a lot of employees independent contractors are walking on eggshells -- WWE got deemed an "essential business" then fired 2 dozen of them, so they'd be looking for any reason to let ya go. If you're deemed "difficult" in this incredibly small, insular business, there's not many places you can go find work, and the next year is going to be even worse.

If you're not a top guy then you're expendable, and if work isn't going to be easy to come by, how badly do you want to ruffle feathers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Kayla confirmining she’s had it twice now

https://twitter.com/kaylabraxtonwwe/status/1276147509090488320?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

They should've been forced to wear the masks for the tapings, and now it's coming back to bite them in the backside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So Kayla was the on air staff member that was reported to have had Covid-19 a staff member that is in close contact with most of the roster for interviews etc etc and wasn't taken off air and worked with everyone from on screen talent to back staff producers.

Damn the negligence shown by the company is beyond belief but then again the family that own the company and the world of wrestling entertainment are basically Trumps in all but name.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/wwe-evp-our-leader-believes-we-have-social-responsibility-put-fans-first
    John Brody commented on WWE's decision to keep running live events during the pandemic.

"The health and safety of our superstars is first and foremost paramount. It comes down to leadership in many ways. Our leader [Vince McMahon] believes we have a social responsibility to put fans first and to help them get a break from what was coming and what we're in the midst of. We have a responsibility to take them away for a few hours and give them a smile and a chance to feel something other than what they're watching, which is also important, on the news. We leaned in to say 'we're going to put fans first' and do everything we can, working with state, local, and federal officials to make sure it's safe for our most important resource, the WWE superstars, and we're going to do whatever we can to deliver content for our partners and our fans," he said.

Brody went on to say that WWE ran from a closed set with essential personnel.

He continued, "We understand the decision other sports made, we wouldn't have made the decision we made if we didn't think we could do it safely for our internal (staff) and for all those affected, but we felt America needed it and needed the 'pick me up.'"

They have a social responsibility according to "Our Leader."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Reading online here now that Mox has tested negative for Covid.

J. Marston wrote: »

That's boot licking 101, there's no way any sane person would actually believe that statement.

Wow that’s insane how can they keep wrestling going while this number is happening I just don’t know

https://twitter.com/ry_bass/status/1276525249354518530?s=21

• Advertisement

Alvarez has said if AEW don't run shows they will go out of business as TNT won't pay them.

i would think Khans and Vince could give cash injections to save the companies if needed

Vince maybe as all his wealth is from wrestling.

The Khans have many other businesses with companies and staff that would take a higher priorities to look after first so they keep them afloat.

The NFL team, Fulham then AEW in that order would be the priority when it comes to their sporting companies I would imagine

They would not be rich anymore if they bailed them all out.

Jamie Noble has it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jamie Noble has it now.

Only four have confirmed it public on social media but from certain wrestling sites(didn't use apparently)the number is in the dozens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jamie Noble has it now.

Its funny how it's all backstage interviewers and agents so far. I guess they're lucky it's not anyone who has been in the ring, sweating and rolling round with others :pac:

Sadly, knowing WWE, I'd be expecting them to ask the wrestlers to keep it quiet and keep working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Genetic Jackhammer

sky88 wrote: »
    i would think Khans and Vince could give cash injections to save the companies if needed

That is a bit of a naive post in the current climate really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Genetic Jackhammer

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Its funny how it's all backstage interviewers and agents so far. I guess they're lucky it's not anyone who has been in the ring, sweating and rolling round with others :pac:

Sadly, knowing WWE, I'd be expecting them to ask the wrestlers to keep it quiet and keep working.

I would not be surprised if Vince had an NDA as part in new contracts wrestlers signed following in Trumps footsteps getting everyone around him to sign them.

Fightful

WWE's COVID-19 situation is a mess.

Upon news of numerous positive tests on Thursday, several members of the roster have contacted Fightful, with one even asking how many positive tests were rumored because "we'd know better than them." WWE wrestlers have not been informed of even an approximate number of tests, let alone who tested positive. This is a far cry from the first positive test three months ago in which WWE provided the name, how it was likely contracted, and an update on the individual via an internal memo.

Main Roster talent we've heard of are generally upset about the handling, with one saying that they'd also prefer if WWE had testing set post-tapings. Another was particularly concerned for Kayla Braxton considering the virus has re-emerged in her.

There were multiple NXT wrestlers who needed to be re-tested after "being exposed to somebody positive," but they tested negative. There was also concern and worry over a couple of small gatherings that took place among wrestlers, considering the rumored numbers are so high. We're told that it's across all kinds of departments, and despite last week's news, there were still some at the PC who were not required to come in for testing before this week.

NXT PC talent were sent a message Thursday morning after 9 AM saying:

"Per Vince, ALL Talent are needed for TV on Friday & Saturday. Please go to PC by 10:30 AM TODAY for drive-through COVID testing. if you took test yesterday, you don't need to today. If you are in high level storyline, you will be off camera. Thanks. **IMPORTANT: after test, you will need to remain ISOLATED AND QUARANTINED until after the TV tapings."

Many talent missed that testing deadline and were awaiting a new location as of 5 PM EST Thursday.

Those who were tested yesterday do not yet have their results back. We'd heard from several NXT and PC talent that were doing to skip this week's tapings after the second COVID test, then accelerated by the numerous other tests. However, they were urged to come in even after expressing that they weren't comfortable doing so.

Roman and Sami were proven dead right to take time off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I don't know about anyone else but hearing someone can get it twice in quick succession is some scary ass ****.

I don't know about anyone else but hearing someone can get it twice in quick succession is some scary ass ****.

And someone in their 20's who would be deemed fit and healthy if the virus mutates in anyway we could be all ****ed big time.

The ironic thing here is because of age Vince is one of the most at risk person that’s in the building

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Fightful

WWE's COVID-19 situation is a mess.

Upon news of numerous positive tests on Thursday, several members of the roster have contacted Fightful, with one even asking how many positive tests were rumored because "we'd know better than them." WWE wrestlers have not been informed of even an approximate number of tests, let alone who tested positive. This is a far cry from the first positive test three months ago in which WWE provided the name, how it was likely contracted, and an update on the individual via an internal memo.

Main Roster talent we've heard of are generally upset about the handling, with one saying that they'd also prefer if WWE had testing set post-tapings. Another was particularly concerned for Kayla Braxton considering the virus has re-emerged in her.

There were multiple NXT wrestlers who needed to be re-tested after "being exposed to somebody positive," but they tested negative. There was also concern and worry over a couple of small gatherings that took place among wrestlers, considering the rumored numbers are so high. We're told that it's across all kinds of departments, and despite last week's news, there were still some at the PC who were not required to come in for testing before this week.

NXT PC talent were sent a message Thursday morning after 9 AM saying:

"Per Vince, ALL Talent are needed for TV on Friday & Saturday. Please go to PC by 10:30 AM TODAY for drive-through COVID testing. if you took test yesterday, you don't need to today. If you are in high level storyline, you will be off camera. Thanks. **IMPORTANT: after test, you will need to remain ISOLATED AND QUARANTINED until after the TV tapings."

Many talent missed that testing deadline and were awaiting a new location as of 5 PM EST Thursday.

Those who were tested yesterday do not yet have their results back. We'd heard from several NXT and PC talent that were doing to skip this week's tapings after the second COVID test, then accelerated by the numerous other tests. However, they were urged to come in even after expressing that they weren't comfortable doing so.

It's beyond a mess at this stage, it's a god damned dumpster fire.

There's simply no defending their handling.

And someone in their 20's who would be deemed fit and healthy if the virus mutates in anyway we could be all ****ed big time.

I've no scientific mind on me but that would be my worry. Take it for granted too much and we see it mutate.

There's really no massive number of cases to prove this can happen.

My understanding is that there's been instances of people getting false positives (only to test negative latter, and THEN catch it), and people getting positives over massively long periods of time cause it's not being shifted.

Kayla declaring she's had it twice would mean she's 1 in 500 million. It's way, way more likely that something dodgy is happening there...

Well....the tweet got deleted so take that for whatever it might mean.

John Pollock - "Three different people have informed me that today's Raw taping at the Performance Center has been canceled. One person added that it has been postponed until tomorrow (Saturday). Tonight's SmackDown taping is currently in progress."

Audience members at the taping are allowed wear masks.

https://twitter.com/ShotziWWE/status/1276577583891648514

• Advertisement

Meltzer was talking about Renee’s situation on the Observer last night.

As of the 25th, Vince, HHH nor Dunne had contacted Renee to make sure she was alright, although several talent had. Meltzer straight up said his source was Moxley on this, that Renee was bedridden and that Moxley was furious about the whole thing.

Renee got tested by WWE and got symptoms while waiting on the results, so got an independent test of her own. Cordially to Meltzer, it has not gone down well in WWE that she announced her positive test publicly, as WWE haven’t been commenting publicly on the issue.

“Young came right out and said what the situation was, which did not go over well in WWE as her telling the public. WWE still at this point has yet to acknowledge the cases or inform the performers and their families of the extent of the outbreak.”

Advertisement