Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Camping Locations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

El Vino wrote: »
    I did a boreen which turned into a rough track from Rosbeigh between Coolroe and Seefin mountains into Glencar. There were a few places along here that looked ok, if not keep going to Lough Carragh. You could have something to eat at the Climbers Inn and pop your tent up close to dusk.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=Rosbeigh#map=15/52.0348/-9.9284

Great thanks for the suggestion. I might head back for a bit of recce some day, Killarney is just a short spin for myself.

@denismc Great suggestion, will see what the weather is like when it comes to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

can anyone recommend anywhere on in the mid east that I can park a car nearby. Most of my camp gear is canvas and car camp weight. Kids have never wild camped or had a fire yet as we only use proper camp sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 paulme

can anyone recommend anywhere on in the mid east that I can park a car nearby. Most of my camp gear is canvas and car camp weight. Kids have never wild camped or had a fire yet as we only use proper camp sites.

If you're on Facebook, check out "In The Wild Campsite" at River Hollow Nature Reserve. It's near New Ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Ones I know. Use at your own risk

Inishbofin Co. Galway
    : 53°36'44.67"N 10°12'14.30"W - Small scrap of land outside fenced off area, space for just about 1 tent

Inishmaan Co. Galway: 53° 5'41.31"N 9°34'3.36"W - Sand dune outside airport fence. Didn't use this myself but saw tent here

Tory, Co. Donegal: 55°15'51.48"N 8°14'0.78"W - Field across from social club lots of tents here one time

Sherkin, Co. Cork:
    51°28'25.37"N 9°25'22.38"W - This is a great one and comes with a free ready-made firepit for your camp fire

Bere Island, Co. Cork: N51° 38.531 W009° 47.532 - Outside lonehort used this a few times no bother seen other campers there too

Glenanaar, Co. Cork: 52°16'31.3"N 8°30'49.3"W - Coords might not be 100% accurate. Havn't used myself but seen campers here good spot but wait till evening to pitch as there will be walkers

Have removed Whiddy one, as the site was levelled but there is no shortage of places to camp there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I saw this and thought of you guys wild camping allowed permit needed if over 10 people or lighting a fire

https://www.wildnephinnationalpark.ie/camping/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

sheesh wrote: »
    I saw this and thought of you guys wild camping allowed permit needed if over 10 people or lighting a fire

https://www.wildnephinnationalpark.ie/camping/

A great spot up there but the fact you can drive into a lot of it has the place ruined with kitchen sink campers and their bonfires :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    A great spot up there but the fact you can drive into a lot of it has the place ruined with kitchen sink campers and their bonfires :rolleyes:

walk up to the shelter where the letterkeen loop tees onto the bangor trail.. wont be any campers up there :D
    but it is a decent walk

woody1 wrote: »
    walk up to the shelter where the letterkeen loop tees onto the bangor trail.. wont be any campers up there :D
    but it is a decent walk

I was only up that way recently they've done a serious amount of clearing it looks like a warzone. A shame we can't have sustainable forestry and dare I say some decent broad leaf planting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Finding a good spot to camp isn't overly difficult, it's finding a safe place overnight for your car that is the real challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Antoninus

Debating whether to head to the Slieve Blooms or around the Lough Key / Lough Allen area.

We'd be looking for a forested spot, close to water to do some swimming, or at least treading water and howling with the cold for a couple of minutes. Wondering if there are any spots along the Barrow or streams in the Blooms to be able to do this.
    Also, does anybody know what the midgie situation is like in these areas?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Midge situation in Wicklow at the moment is atrocious, from a few different accounts. So take your chemical warfare with you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Have a midge headnet.......peace of mind. Might even consider getting the gloves.

The slieve blooms is also pretty bad at the minute.

Thanks for the replies. We bought headnets for Scotland, which helped there, but they weren't very effective against the Donegal midges recently. Maybe they are smaller than their Scottish cousins.

We'll give the Slieve Blooms a miss until the Autumn in that case, iwillhtfu, and maybe chance the Lough Key / Lough Arrow area for a night. If its swarming there, we might have to beat a hasty retreat to a Sligo / North Mayo beach.

i know its not wild camping but does anyone know what lough key is like at the moment, ive heard the campsite there is chronic for them,

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Paul_D

Could anyone suggest a nice wild camping spot for 1 night somewhere around west Cork or Kerry that fits the following requirements:
    * Ideally no further than 2hr hike away from a reasonable safe parking spot.
    * No difficult terrain that requires scrambling etc.
    * No other people :)

Exact coordinates would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Hi all, I'm planning a two night wild camp with hiking each day, so moving the campsite etc.
    I'm hoping to drive to Lacken village near Blessington on a Friday and leave the car there until Sunday, would it be safe there? Anywhere else in the area be better?

TIA
    Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paulmartin28

Hi There

I have recently started wild camping with my wife and 3 year old. (Novice camper).

Looking for a nice clean spot for a weeknights stay in Leinster.

Can anybody recommend a good spot with easy access (she is pregnant) near a lake ( 3 year old is mad about the water) or somewhere with nice views etc..

We did a beach down beside silverstrand a little while ago and we still have sand EVERYWHERE so I would be reluctant to go down that road again.

Any suggestions would be very welcome as there will be no villa in the sun this year.

Thank you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paulmartin28

Hi, I recently left my car over night in lacken village beside the church and no issues. Safe and sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

Hi All,

I'm doing the westport greenway cycle this weekend and plan to camp after. All the campsite in Mayo/Galway are booked up. Any suggestions for places to camp wild preferably near the sea? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 magpies5

Hi,

I looking into doing a bit of hiking and camping on the west coast for a week. Anyone that could suggest some nice wild camping spots would be greatly appreciated

Now the midge population has gone into hibernation, we're considering a weekend wild camp again. Anyone know of any spots around Nephin Beg / Ballycroy? Thanks.

https://goo.gl/maps/zNNDeN5Sjmf9Kf599

hopefully that works, ive seen scouts groups and others camp here, its an open section on the bend in the river , you can get a car fairly close to it

ive always thought that the mountain meitheal shelter would be a good spot too
    but probably hard to find decent ground around it , and its a long walk in

https://goo.gl/maps/UEhpJGQjbde8YDzc8

That's handy woody1, thanks for that.
    Always nice to be near flowing water and have a few trees for shelter.
    If we make it there, I'll write an update here.

Antoninus wrote: »
    That's handy woody1, thanks for that.
    Always nice to be near flowing water and have a few trees for shelter.
    If we make it there, I'll write an update here.

You'll unlikely be alone at that spot its regularly full of car campers which is a shame as its a nice spot although midges are murder in summer. Heading back up into the hills would be better although a hammock would be preferable then.

Thanks for the heads up iwillhtfu. I'd say the area around the bothy there would get busy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

woody1 wrote: »
    https://goo.gl/maps/zNNDeN5Sjmf9Kf599

hopefully that works, ive seen scouts groups and others camp here, its an open section on the bend in the river , you can get a car fairly close to it

I went here on Sat myself and ended up pitching ;ate in the evening when everyone was gone but I actually setup just over the bridge in a nice spot by the river. I had to do a little cleaning up first thanks to the sheep but had a lovely night there and was up for 5.30am and on the road again by 6am before the storm arrived. The trail isn't very well marked if you go over the bridge that direction for one of the 3 routes but it's a beautiful spot.
    No midgies either :D and was right next to the river so I got to listen to the sound of that all night, bliss!

glad to hear it , i live reasonably close but i have planned to camp there on and off but havent managed to do it yet,

Sounds great tony1980. Is that the road leading up from the Praegar bothy heading north on the Western Way? I've never been there, so relying on the Nephin map, looks like half a mile or so up from the bothy? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Sorry guys, was crazy busy. Not familiar with road names there but this is the car park https://goo.gl/maps/YbKKPPRtWkRAXLCw6

There is a bridge leading to the trails next to it, I literally camped at the picnic spot there :p but it was stunning next to the river. Just wait until late to stealth camp as due to covid, no camping is allowed.

Advertisement