Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gen 1 Nissan Leaf range?

Options
  • 22-06-2020 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

My working from home these last few months has made me realise how much money I am spending on diesel and car maintenance so it has got me thinking how much I might be able to save if I went electric.

I was browsing donedeal and it has several Nissan Leafs for sale for €4-5k

These are all Gen 1 cars with the 24kwh battery.

I did a bit of research on the Leaf and note the original range of 100-120km but understand that this degrades with use so it is likely that the cars advertised for €4-5k a fair bit of degradation (or is it??).

What I would really like to know and have not really been able to find out looking at various websites and forums is the following:

Will a 2011 or 2012 Leaf with 80,000-100,000km on the clock be able to get me to work which is a 70km trip, mainly on the motorway?

I would be grateful for any advice, particularly those who may have Gen 1 Leafs

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

A EUR4k Leaf will not do your 70km motorway trip. In summer maybe in perfect circumstances if you drive at Leaf Speed (88km/h). In winter, not a chance.

You will need to fork out a bit more for the newer generation battery that came with 2014 cars. These can be had from about €9k, although a particularly dirty / scruffy high mileage one recently came up for sale at just €7k

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

As Unkel said, you’d want to have perfect conditions, and a tailwind, to get 70km on the motorway.

Any chance you can get a chargepoint put in at work? You’d be laughing then.

Edit: just realised its 70km each way. Nah you’re goosed with the gen1.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Soarer wrote: »
    As Unkel said, you’d want to have perfect conditions, and a tailwind, to get 70km on the motorway.

Any chance you can get a chargepoint put in at work? You’d be laughing then.

Edit: just realised its 70km each way. Nah you’re goosed with the gen1.

Devils advocate, and also pushing the price up even more, Should be ideal for a ionic?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cpage

unkel wrote: »
    A EUR4k Leaf will not do your 70km motorway trip. In summer maybe in perfect circumstances if you drive at Leaf Speed (88km/h). In winter, not a chance.

You will need to fork out a bit more for the newer generation battery that came with 2014 cars. These can be had from about €9k, although a particularly dirty / scruffy high mileage one recently came up for sale at just €7k

I had a feeling a Leaf for 4-5k was too good to be true!!
    Is the 2014 car when the battery was upgraded to 30kwh?

graememk wrote: »
    Devils advocate, and also pushing the price up even more, Should be ideal for a ionic?

Ioniq would be nice but a bit pricey for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

cpage wrote: »

161 (a few rare examples from 152)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I had a feeling a Leaf for 4-5k was too good to be true!!

Late 2013 saw the Gen 2 car with better battery chemistry.
    With 11 bars and about 70 odd % SOH my old one done 100km on the motorway at 100kmph.

2016 saw the 30 kWh battery. This would suit you perfect but I still think you’d want a charge in work to be comfortable. Even a 3 pin socket would put enough back in so that you are not driven mad every day having to stop and charge or running close to empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I bought a Gen1 facelift 24kWh leaf (so the 132 onwards one mentioned above) to do a 110km round trip to work at the time, based on the reports the leaf could do that.

It cant. 90km on the motorway without going so slow you're a danger to other road users.

Take range quoted by people on the internet with a pinch of salt, multiply them by 0.7 or so to get a real range.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Late 2013 saw the Gen 2 car with better battery chemistry.
    With 11 bars and about 70 odd % SOH my old one done 100km on the motorway at 100kmph.

2016 saw the 30 kWh battery. This would suit you perfect but I still think you’d want a charge in work to be comfortable. Even a 3 pin socket would put enough back in so that you are not driven mad every day having to stop and charge or running close to empty.

Thanks for the info. I didnt realise there was a battery improvement in 2013. What does SOH mean?
    I do actually have access to a charger in work. The 70km is one way, from home to work. Maybe a Gen 2 might do. 2016 well out of my price range at mo.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I bought a Gen1 facelift 24kWh leaf (so the 132 onwards one mentioned above) to do a 110km round trip to work at the time, based on the reports the leaf could do that.

It cant. 90km on the motorway without going so slow you're a danger to other road users.

Take range quoted by people on the internet with a pinch of salt, multiply them by 0.7 or so to get a real range.

Thats helpful to know.

• Advertisement

Sorry guys but I have another question; I have read about the 12 bars which give an idea of how much the battery has degradedegraded but what i'm wondering is if a battery has lost 2 bars does that mean the range is down about 16%?? (ie. each bar relates to approx 8% of the range)

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Sorry guys but I have another question; I have read about the 12 bars which give an idea of how much the battery has degradedegraded but what i'm wondering is if a battery has lost 2 bars does that mean the range is down about 16%?? (ie. each bar relates to approx 8% of the range)

The first battery bar lost is at 15% degradation, with each subsequent battery bar representing a 6.25% loss.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What does SOH mean?

Its the battery State Of Health

That clears up a few things for me. Thanks very much for all the advice

Advertisement