Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair rules on buying a ticket for a child

• 20-06-2020 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Long story guys but I need to buy my 10 year old daughter a ticket on Ryanair from Cork to Stanstead at the end of next month.
    I already have a ticket for the same flight and a booking reference but it's in my name only.
    The Ryanair website will not allow me to book a ticket solely for a child, understandably.
    It will let me buy a ticket for an adult obviously.
    If i did buy a ticket as an adult, but used my daughters details on the booking, will this be allowed? It's the same price ticket whether for a 10 year old or a 60 year old.
    I understand if i was able to do this my daughter and I would both have separate booking references but she will be with me the whole time.
    Only issue on the plane is allocated seats but I'm sure I could swap with someone or ask the stewardesses for help. Even if we can't sit together, not the end of the world.
    Has anyone been in this situation before or can point me in the right direction? I've found it impossible trying to get information from Ryanair.
    Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

book 2 tickets and then cancel the original?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I understand if i was able to do this my daughter and I would both have separate booking references but she will be with me the whole time.
    Only issue on the plane is allocated seats but I'm sure I could swap with someone or ask the stewardesses for help. Even if we can't sit together, not the end of the world.
    Has anyone been in this situation before or can point me in the right direction?

Yep, been there, done that this:
    - book your daugther as an adult.
    - check in as early as allowed
    - check her in as an adult, falsifying her date-of-birth when you're asked for passport details (pick a year that sort looks like the real one, eg. 2001 instead of 2010)
    - take whatever seat is randomly assigned for her (it'll almost certainly be a middle seat).
    - check yourself in
    - if you want to sit close to/next to her, see if either of the adjacent seats are available, and book that; if not, try the one in front/behind.
    - if you can't get two seats close together, take a chance at the time of boarding - wait till the last minute, and you might find that one or other of you has a spare seat beside you, or there are two spare seats at the back.
    - waiting till the last minute to board means the gate staff will be more concerned about getting you onto the plane than checking the exactitude of your daughter's date of birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i could understand taking the risk if it was a huge price on the tickets....I had a quick look.....€21 . I'd just rebook and , if necessary, forego the existing booking.

Advertisement