Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any website that gives a movie ratings from multiple websites?

Options
  • 22-06-2020 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I usually check movie ratings from a few sites (especially the first 3):
    • IMDb
    • AllMovie
    • Rotten Tomatoes
    • Metacritic
    • etc.
    Does anyone know of a site where you can put in a film title and it gives you ratings from multiple sites on 1 page?

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

If you google a movie title (on PC anyway) then the box on the right will have the review scores and links from IMDB, Rottentomatoes, Metacritic and Google Users.

517358.jpg

If you keep scrolling down, then you will see some critic reviews and the breakdown of the review scores from google users in the same box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

If you google a movie title (on PC anyway) then the box on the right will have the review scores and links from IMDB, Rottentomatoes, Metacritic and Google Users.

517358.jpg

If you keep scrolling down, then you will see some critic reviews and the breakdown of the review scores from google users in the same box.

Hi Mark. That's handy. Although, I don't use google. A single site would be ideal that also shows the User Score and Metascore on Metacritic and Critic and Audience scores on RT.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I do think it's a little odd that there are no obvious alternatives to google when it comes to trying to find a resource that aggregates scores from other aggregators and commonly used sites.

I guess most major websites would place confidence in their own rating system as opposed to giving weight to others.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I do think it's a little odd that there are no obvious alternatives to google when it comes to trying to find a resource that aggregates scores from other aggregators and commonly used sites.

I guess most major websites would place confidence in their own rating system as opposed to giving weight to others.

I'd say someone that's handy with programing could come up with a solution. Perhaps even a small script/program.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

This isn't quite what you're after, so apologies, but personally I've done away with all those other ratings sites and just use Letterboxd. Most film critics I respect use it themselves (or with the likes of Mark Kermode, there are some devoted fans who repost their ratings to Letterboxd) to log and rate films.

So I follow a few of my favourite critics, and when I look at a movie, it'll show me their star ratings, as well as a review graph sourced from the ratings of all users:

BAVx8nK.jpg?1

Also handy is JustWatch is integrated, so you can see where the movie is available to stream or buy right from the listing.

• Advertisement

I was going to suggest the same. I am sure if all these services offer APIs it would not be difficult for anyone to come up with a site/app/browser extension that collates them.

I am not quite sure what value it would bring though, it would probably tell you more about the source of the score than the movie itself (ie rotten tomatoes critics scores closely mirrors you personal tastes more so than IMDB audience scores and once you reach that conclusion you no longer need this resource).

I must go look for a few more of my favourite critics on letterboxd actually, I added a handful when I first started using the site many years ago and have not added to it since.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I was going to suggest the same. I am sure if all these services offer APIs it would not be difficult for anyone to come up with a site/app/browser extension that collates them.

I am not quite sure what value it would bring though, it would probably tell you more about the source of the score than the movie itself (ie rotten tomatoes critics scores closely mirrors you personal tastes more so than IMDB audience scores and once you reach that conclusion you no longer need this resource).

I must go look for a few more of my favourite critics on letterboxd actually, I added a handful when I first started using the site many years ago and have not added to it since.

Hi S.M.B. - Yes, the APIs availability maybe the sticking point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

I usually check movie ratings from a few sites (especially the first 3):
    • IMDb
    • AllMovie
    • Rotten Tomatoes
    • Metacritic
    • etc.
    Does anyone know of a site where you can put in a film title and it gives you ratings from multiple sites on 1 page?

Thanks.

Is that not exactly what metacritic does?

JPA wrote: »
    Is that not exactly what metacritic does?

Hi JPA. I'm unsure. Do they source from IMDb & RT?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi JPA. I'm unsure. Do they source from IMDb & RT?

Well RT amalgamates reviews from reviewers across the web as well as showing user ratings, IMDB gets its score from user ratings.

It would not make sense for metacritic to use the scores from these sites. RT and metacritic are doing a similar thing.

• Advertisement

Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes primarily both do very similar things, they aggregate reviews from a pool of film critics and give a score out of 100.

The only real difference is that a Rotten Tomatoes score is a measure of whether the critics liked or disliked a movie whereas a Metacritic score is a measure of how much the movie was liked.

IMDB displays the Metacritic score along with their own user generated score.

Advertisement