Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Waterford under Social Distance

• 08-06-2020 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭

Well small retail opened up today . Anybody go around the city centre shops ,what was it like ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

decies wrote: »
    Well small retail opened up today . Anybody go around the city centre shops ,what was it like ?

A lot of people on the tables outside Carters Coffee shop and a few more around Red square

City Square still fairly bare with a lot of places still closed

They done small feature on the opening of places on Deise AM this morning. The interview with a bit of a looper outside the book center annoyed the hell out of me

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7jpYhLai7ZwMeYbo6IhuY3?si=4BSwjLgbTAaTadTWOow5gg

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Flow Motion

I happened to be passing through City Square mid afternoon on Tuesday and passed about 4 elderly people talking just inside the door by Peter Marks. No social distancing. No masks. And then they started to shake each others hands. "I havent seen you in ages" and a pair of them gave each other a hug! :eek:

And in that moment I thought to myself "This is not all done and dusted by a long shot". If people who are the most vulnerable think its okay to go straight back to the way things pre-Covid than Waterford and Ireland is in for a big shock IMO.

I kept walking on my way and a few mins later while passing down Barronstrand Street going towards The Quay I saw that Carters Cafe had all the tables n chairs out and they were all full. Groups of 6/8 people at each. And all this on Day#2 of Phase 2.

I then went into BOI to do a bit of business and one of the guys working there said some of the stuff he saw since Monday would make you angry. Its as if the past 3+ months were just a dream or an extended holiday. He said there was a queue for Guineys of all places before 9 with no one bothering to keep their distance from each other. Probably just dreaming of the potential antique heirlooms that were awaiting them in-store.:D

Let's review everything in about a month and see if the acceleration in opening up society has any effect on the thing that caused us to seek shelter for a season. The virus that (unless I missed something) that has not gone away. That is still resulting in deaths each day. And a vaccine probably about a year away. Yes, the long hot Irish Summer will keep those numbers down eh? Still we usually have soft Winters!

Never fear though Uncle Leo has said this morning that there will not be another complete lockdown in the immediate short & long term. Says the fella photographed drinking cans with his buds in the Phoenix Pk during the recent good spell of weather. What a leader. He saved us! (... or perhaps there is the small fact that he is still trying to form a Government -or- would chance his arm @ another election and try to get a majority this time round!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

I happened to be passing through City Square mid afternoon on Tuesday and passed about 4 elderly people talking just inside the door by Peter Marks. No social distancing. No masks. And then they started to shake each others hands. "I havent seen you in ages" and a pair of them gave each other a hug! :eek:

And in that moment I thought to myself "This is not all done and dusted by a long shot". If people who are the most vulnerable think its okay to go straight back to the way things pre-Covid than Waterford and Ireland is in for a big shock IMO.

I kept walking on my way and a few mins later while passing down Barronstrand Street going towards The Quay I saw that Carters Cafe had all the tables n chairs out and they were all full. Groups of 6/8 people at each. And all this on Day#2 of Phase 2.

I then went into BOI to do a bit of business and one of the guys working there said some of the stuff he saw since Monday would make you angry. Its as if the past 3+ months were just a dream or an extended holiday. He said there was a queue for Guineys of all places before 9 with no one bothering to keep their distance from each other. Probably just dreaming of the potential antique heirlooms that were awaiting them in-store.:D

Let's review everything in about a month and see if the acceleration in opening up society has any effect on the thing that caused us to seek shelter for a season. The virus that (unless I missed something) that has not gone away. That is still resulting in deaths each day. And a vaccine probably about a year away. Yes, the long hot Irish Summer will keep those numbers down eh? Still we usually have soft Winters!

Never fear though Uncle Leo has said this morning that there will not be another complete lockdown in the immediate short & long term. Says the fella photographed drinking cans with his buds in the Phoenix Pk during the recent good spell of weather. What a leader. He saved us! (... or perhaps there is the small fact that he is still trying to form a Government -or- would chance his arm @ another election and try to get a majority this time round!!)

I completely agree with the lockdown, it was the correct thing to do at the time. There would have been a horror show if it was not done. That said now the country is more prepared I think it is time to let things return to a new normal with precautions with the exception of mass gatherings. If people can’t take precautions its their ass at the end of the day. Not to mention people in the high risk group and the damage to the economy the whole lockdown thing is very hard on anybody who is single and living on their own. This whole thing of a vaccine is probably about a year away is in reality a fantasy. I heard an expert talking about vaccines and he said the fastest a vaccine was every developed was in around four years. Also, it may never be possible to make a successful vaccine. The focus now needs to be on how to live with the virus. As another expert I heard said, lockdowns are like when you slash an artery and pressure is applied to the bleeding to slow blood loss. But you can’t in the long term keep applying pressure something else needs to be done. If some people want to ease the pressure well it is their problem if they bleed to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭decies

Just wondering how retail was coping business wise , interesting to see in coming weeks .

BBM77 wrote: »
    I completely agree with the lockdown, it was the correct thing to do at the time. There would have been a horror show if it was not done. That said now the country is more prepared I think it is time to let things return to a new normal with precautions with the exception of mass gatherings. If people can’t take precautions its their ass at the end of the day. Not to mention people in the high risk group and the damage to the economy the whole lockdown thing is very hard on anybody who is single and living on their own. This whole thing of a vaccine is probably about a year away is in reality a fantasy. I heard an expert talking about vaccines and he said the fastest a vaccine was every developed was in around four years. Also, it may never be possible to make a successful vaccine. The focus now needs to be on how to live with the virus. As another expert I heard said, lockdowns are like when you slash an artery and pressure is applied to the bleeding to slow blood loss. But you can’t in the long term keep applying pressure something else needs to be done. If some people want to ease the pressure well it is there problem if they bleed to death.

Good points. I've read a few similar articles recently. Western societies thought that the major advances made in science and medicine meant world wide pandemics were a thing of the past. However, many scientists and people actually working in the field believed that something of this sort would happen eventually and due to the global nature of the modern world it would spread rapidly. Such has been the case with Covid 19.

As you said any possible vaccine is years away and as its the way the countries or people with the most money will get there first. At the moment its taking hold in the poorest regions of the planet; Africa, India and parts of S/America.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Good points. I've read a few similar articles recently. Western societies thought that the major advances made in science and medicine meant world wide pandemics were a thing of the past.

errr, none they didn't.

If you listen to numerous scientists over the years you'll note they've warned of just this happening. The problem is the avg joe simply doesn't care and no goverment wants to be seen by the avg joe to "waste money".

Hell, you don't even need to look very far away to see goverments refusing to lockdown even when covid19 became a thing...UK and USA. Ultimately they don't want to do anything to harm their economys and they put money before lives.

If Leo decided 3 years ago to put 300million into prep for just this type of event we'd have seen the media and arm chair critics try to ripp him a part for wasting money. In the USA Trump stipped funds away from processes for just this type of situation and the avg Joe simply didn't care and instead stood by and said nothing.

As pointed out in the above post, people can be very selfish and its a good idea to call these seflish people out otherwise nothing will change.
    whats the point posting on boards.ie about people not distancing outside shops if you are not going to bother saying anything? There actions can after all ultimately effect you so its in your interest to say something....its basically your civic duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone here queuing outside Pennys this morning?!

https://twitter.com/rte/status/1271383771305181184

Anyone here queuing outside Pennys this morning?!

https://twitter.com/rte/status/1271383771305181184

Queueing to buy groceries is one thing *but* getting up @ 5am to buy stuff in Penneys is bananas. Where are you going to wear your new fancy cheap clothes? The pub? The disco? The beach? Along with the continuing Covid crisis we should inform the GP about another virus & syndrome that pre-dates the current one: O.P.D. (Obsessive Penney's Disorder)!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The place is gone mental

Just wait till the pubs open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Should this not be in the Waterford FC thread;);):D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

absolutely disgraceful, no social distancing at all! ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

I completely agree with the lockdown, it was the correct thing to do at the time. There would have been a horror show if it was not done. That said now the country is more prepared I think it is time to let things return to a new normal with precautions with the exception of mass gatherings. If people can’t take precautions its their ass at the end of the day. Not to mention people in the high risk group and the damage to the economy the whole lockdown thing is very hard on anybody who is single and living on their own. This whole thing of a vaccine is probably about a year away is in reality a fantasy. I heard an expert talking about vaccines and he said the fastest a vaccine was every developed was in around four years. Also, it may never be possible to make a successful vaccine. The focus now needs to be on how to live with the virus. As another expert I heard said, lockdowns are like when you slash an artery and pressure is applied to the bleeding to slow blood loss. But you can’t in the long term keep applying pressure something else needs to be done. If some people want to ease the pressure well it is their problem if they bleed to death.

If only these bits in bold were true.
    We'd have Darwinism working at its best.

Sadly, this isn't the case. And the reckless and irresponsible people in society are (mostly) the ones who are least likely to die from the virus.
    Yet they'll carry it and bring it home to granny and grandad (who have probably been following all guidelines) and put their lives at risk.

Mask wearing in shops is a vital step to keeping this thing under control. If you're reading this please listen to the advice.
    Get a mask. Carry it with you, and wear it when shopping.

As someone else rightly said, it's our civic duty now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Where can a mask be gotten?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

I used these guys in January and they sent quality stuff. They're waiting on new stock but I think it'll come shortly so worth a shot.

https://www.safetycare.ie/BreathingApparatus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Any pharmacy.
    Aldi had 10 for €8 couple of weeks ago, dunno if they're still there.
    Ample online.

Lot of people making their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭decies

God my post is gone all over the place lol. Concentrate again just wondering forget penny’s for a sec , how is business in general recovering in city centre ? Many buying stuff or just looking around ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lild have the basic type at the checkouts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Jayesdiem given a week off for trolling and generally talking rubbish and off-topic rubbish at that.
    Please stick to the topic at hand folks and never ever feed a troll, especially after dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Imagine being bothered by people going to shop in Penneys, a shop that has been closed for months, people are entitled to go queue for penneys the same way they queued for Woodies, and similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I ventured into town on Friday last. I have to say it was very uncomfortable experience. I went to into the book centre to have a look around. Very few people in there, I was looking through a magazine when a staff member told me I couldn't. I had completely forgotten what I was doing. You have to wait at the door until someone comes out.

My mother has trouble walking, there's barely anywhere for her to sit down now because of all the restrictions. I know these restrictions are necessary and worth it, but I can't help but feel some people are discouraged from going into town. Very bleak atmosphere around the city centre unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I ventured into town on Friday last. I have to say it was very uncomfortable experience. I went to into the book centre to have a look around. Very few people in there, I was looking through a magazine when a staff member told me I couldn't. I had completely forgotten what I was doing. You have to wait at the door until someone comes out.

My mother has trouble walking, there's barely anywhere for her to sit down now because of all the restrictions. I know these restrictions are necessary and worth it, but I can't help but feel some people are discouraged from going into town. Very bleak atmosphere around the city centre unfortunately.

im still largely avoiding the shops altogether, ta hell with that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sad to see Debenhams closed up in City square. I always liked picking up bits and bobs there. Staff were very nice too. One of the main reasons I’d come down to Waterford really. I presume they will stay shut? Debenhams won’t do an about turn having sacked all the expensive workers and renegotiate their leases? Not just a Waterford issue they were in several city and torn centres all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Was in Waterford today and it was very busy round about- long queues for many stores so I didn’t bother going in. There must be a large lost opportunity from people that might browse about and pick up things to buy.
    If you were in any vulnerable it wouldn’t be worth the hassle on a Saturday now

Advertisement