Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Managerial Success

• 17-06-2020 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,755 ✭✭✭✭

Is the fair too say 'individual management methods' are the reason for success?. Something that worked for that team will same thing work for this team etc

Over the years Davy managed 3 different teams winning things with them all. His methods seem too work. A lot of managerial movements in Ulster football with Rory Gallagher managing many different teams. Micko and Paidi in the past

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

I think it is fair. I would say that it's more about the manager's personality rather than any 'methods' as such. Ruthless managers, by that I mean the sort of person you wouldn't want to cross, seem to get the best results. Think Brian Cody, Micko, Jim McGuinness. Same is true in other sports I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,755 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

patsman07 wrote: »
    I think it is fair. I would say that it's more about the manager's personality rather than any 'methods' as such. Ruthless managers, by that I mean the sort of person you wouldn't want to cross, seem to get the best results. Think Brian Cody, Micko, Jim McGuinness. Same is true in other sports I think.

Micko seems a very friendly down to earth guy

Cody, Loughnane and John Maughan seem scary devillike men

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Is the fair too say 'individual management methods' are the reason for success?. Something that worked for that team will same thing work for this team etc

Over the years Davy managed 3 different teams winning things with them all. His methods seem too work. A lot of managerial movements in Ulster football with Rory Gallagher managing many different teams. Micko and Paidi in the past

It could also be argued that Davy and Micko were very astute in the jobs they took and the timing of taking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,755 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It could also be argued that Davy and Micko were very astute in the jobs they took and the timing of taking them.

Davys years in Waterford deff build up his experience even with some greats coming to the end of the road but could still go the yards (****ing Tipp and Kilkenny teams of those years were amazing)

Micko really for the love of the game, didnt he win everything with Kerry and Kildare were a strong enough prospect when he took over. Laois, Wicklow and Clare all jobs that were to try and build a reputation for the game in that county

Cody outside Kilkenny would be interesting but never going to happen

Loughnane in Galway as high profile as it was at the time failed

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

In soccer it is down to the budget a manager has. You might get the odd outlier, but only for short period. Note it is wages paid not transfer fees that is important. Looking at Dublin footballers I would say the same is true in GAA, managers have only a small influence if not backed up by plenty of cash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement