Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The King of Staten Island

Options
  • 17-06-2020 3:24pm

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9686708/
    Scott has been a case of arrested development since his firefighter dad died. He spends his days smoking weed and dreaming of being a tattoo artist until events force him to grapple with his grief and take his first steps forward in life.

Seems to have received good reviews and praise for the rawness of the portrayal, the humour with a downside it being maybe a bit too long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I watched the trailer and thought it looked like a remake of Jersey Girl with the action moved a few miles to the east. Davidson doesn’t do anything for me, really.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

I'm going to give Pete Davidson a chance on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Enjoyed it.. not as in your face comedy-wise as Apatow's other directorial efforts.

Semi-autobiographical based on Pete's life and a bit more subdued as a result but some solid performances by Davidson and Burr.

As usual though, Apatow needs an editor.. he seems incapable of making a movie under 2 hours, you could have cut 40 minutes from this easily!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Agree with the above, thought it was over then bam another hour.

Not a bad movie but waay too long.

Watched it because Bill Burr was in it. I was surprised to actually find it funny in parts as I couldn't stand Pete Davidson before this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,976 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is this on Netflix here?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is this on Netflix here?
    No, VOD only at €15 a rent. Ouch!

Watched it last week, despite the ridiculous rental price

Thought it was really good but the trailer led me to believe it was a different kind of film than it was. Also watched it because of Bill Burr but Pete Davidson delivered a good performance too imo. I wasn't expecting to laugh as much as I did.

Definitely worth a watch but not the rental price. Feels like they were trying to make up for the theatre losses but think this could have been priced better if the way things are heading more toward home rentals with limited capacity in cinemas for the next while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

This was not a comedy.
    Pretty disappointed.
    Still enjoyed it for the most part.
    main actor is poor in everything he is in

Advertisement