Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Only received V5C/2, not full V5

• 19-06-2020 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi I recently bought a GB 02 5 series from the North.
    I only received the V5C/2 slip and not the V5C so can't VRT the car. Anyone able to point me in the right direction of what's the best thing for me to do? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

What model/engine is it? Have you calculated what the VRT NOx element will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭chalky_ie

Pearse5 wrote: »
    Hi I recently bought a GB 02 5 series from the North.
    I only received the V5C/2 slip and not the V5C so can't VRT the car. Anyone able to point me in the right direction of what's the best thing for me to do? Thanks

Bit of a nightmare to be honest, you need to contact the DVLA in Swansea and get them to send you out a new one, or a certificate of permanent export I think(they should know). Have you talked to the person you bought it off? Maybe they haven't sent it yet. It will take a long time to get one from the DVLA, it happened to me before and I was 6 weeks waiting. I got the refund on the penalties when I explained what happened though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

conor-w wrote: »
    Bit of a nightmare to be honest, you need to contact the DVLA in Swansea and get them to send you out a new one, or a certificate of permanent export I think(they should know). Have you talked to the person you bought it off? Maybe they haven't sent it yet. It will take a long time to get one from the DVLA, it happened to me before and I was 6 weeks waiting. I got the refund on the penalties when I explained what happened though.

DVLA won't do either; cert of permanent export does not exist any more and they can only reissue to the current registered keeper (which cannot be an Irish resident person). YOu need to speak with t he UK dealer and eat him out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pearse5

Marcusm wrote: »
    DVLA won't do either; cert of permanent export does not exist any more and they can only reissue to the current registered keeper (which cannot be an Irish resident person). YOu need to speak with t he UK dealer and eat him out of it.

Bought it privately and that's all he says he has, can I do anything that would help with the green slip I have?

What model/engine is it? Have you calculated what the VRT NOx element will be?

530i vrt & nox is estimated at 1300

• Advertisement

Bought it privately and that's all he says he has, can I do anything that would help with the green slip I have?

He took that “green slip”, ie section 10, out of the complete document as he read the instruction not to give the V5 to the new owner. Thing is that he didn’t read the part in the attached instructions which says if he is selling to some who lives abroad that he has to give the whole document. Is this recent? Check whether he has sent it to Swansea already. If not, get him to send it to you. He might also be able to apply for a duplicate if they have not processed it as a change of ownership - theoretically the DVLA should not have been able to process it with your Irish details.

530i vrt & nox is estimated at 1300

I was worried it might be an '02 diesel!! NOx would be frightful!

The seller has not followed the necessary procedures for selling a car to a non-UK resident. From previous posts on this subject you'll see it can be a nightmare. He needs to engage with DVLA to sort this out. I've no idea what the solution is but maybe he can tell DVLA he's taken the car back and get a new V5 sent out?

Marcusm wrote: »
    He took that “green slip”, ie section 10, out of the complete document as he read the instruction not to give the V5 to the new owner. Thing is that he didn’t read the part in the attached instructions which says if he is selling to some who lives abroad that he has to give the whole document. Is this recent? Check whether he has sent it to Swansea already. If not, get him to send it to you. He might also be able to apply for a duplicate if they have not processed it as a change of ownership - theoretically the DVLA should not have been able to process it with your Irish details.

I think that's all he ever had himself as he won't reply to my text or answer phone calls, so on my own with this one unfortunately.... Thanks for your help anyways.

I was worried it might be an '02 diesel!! NOx would be frightful!

The seller has not followed the necessary procedures for selling a car to a non-UK resident. From previous posts on this subject you'll see it can be a nightmare. He needs to engage with DVLA to sort this out. I've no idea what the solution is but maybe he can tell DVLA he's taken the car back and get a new V5 sent out?

Can't get in contact with the person I bought it off, never a good sign... I think this will end up being a hard learned lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Can't get in contact with the person I bought it off, never a good sign... I think this will end up being a hard learned lesson.

Would you chance returning the car to him and get your money back? If no luck on that, report him to his nearest cop shop in N.I.

• Advertisement

Would you chance returning the car to him and get your money back? If no luck on that, report him to his nearest cop shop in N.I.

To be honest I'm delighted with the car itself. It had a few bits wrong with it that I've fixed and don't want to return it now, doubt I'd have much luck with that route anyways.

You'll need to call DVLA and see what he sent them (if he sent them anything!) and how they intend to proceed. AFAIK they won't issue you with any documentation as you're not in the UK but if you know someone in the UK who'll play ball with you or even let you use their address you might be able to get a new V5.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

If the paperwork has been sent to DVLA then the only way to get the car imported here is to bring it to the UK and re register it to a UK resident and then take that V5 to register the car here.
    If it hasn't reached the DVLA it might be possible to get a friend in UK to get them to play ball

I think that's all he ever had himself as he won't reply to my text or answer phone calls, so on my own with this one unfortunately.... Thanks for your help anyways.

If that’s all he had then he bought it from someone else and never reregistered it in his own name. He won’t therefore be sending the V5 to Swansea and, presumably, the person he bought it off already has done so nominating that guy as the purchaser. You have possession of the car but absolutely no way of proving/establishing that it is yours. I really don’t know how to help.

If he hasn't sent anything to Swansea and you have the use of a UK address you can do everything online. Acting as the seller transfer the vehicle to yourself at the UK address and DVLA will send out a new V5 to that address. Bob is then your proverbial.

If he hasn't sent anything to Swansea and you have the use of a UK address you can do everything online. Acting as the seller transfer the vehicle to yourself at the UK address and DVLA will send out a new V5 to that address. Bob is then your proverbial.

Have friends in UK so could try this route, seems to be the only possible way, thanks for that will let you know how it goes ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I emailed Swansea and they told me it could be 6 to 8 weeks before I would get the V5 , a week later it arrived in an envelope in the post, someone decent must have read my sob story. It's worth a try. God bless them whoever they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

If its a private seller whats that going to do?
    Show up on his door he'll just laugh at ya, if it wasn't stolen cops will tell him to do one as no criminal action haa occurred.
    Caveat emptor.

Op try what the other poster said about registering with a mate in England, bringing it over and back would give ya a ferry ticket making life even easier for ya

I'll just add you'll need the 11 digit V5C number to do the online transfer. This is the last 11 digits of the 12 digit number shown as "Doc Ref No" on the V5C2. You should also be able to declare it as SORN so you don't have to pay road tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gooberish

So after repeatedly telling the the car dealership what part of the V5 i needed, they still sent me page 1 instead of page 2 and they sent page 1 to the DVLA. I have a brother living in the UK so i just acted like I was the seller in the UK and was selling to him. My question is if the DVLA now receive two conflicting bits of info regarding the car will there be a problem, so my online change of ownership and the one that was sent by the car dealer in the UK?

• Advertisement
Advertisement