Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trigger warning for rail phobes: high speed rail Dublin to Derry

• 20-06-2020 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Eoin O Broin went for broke in the Dáil - not only does he back the railway extension to Navan, he has also mooted the construction of a high speed railway from Dublin to Derry via Navan, Tyrone and Letterkenny.

Dublin to Derry in 95mins

Letterkenny to Derry in ten.

In the time honoured phrase, go hard or go home!

:thumbsup:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Sounds like a "go" project - opening date? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Will there be a junction with the Belfast-Galway line at Clones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Will there be a junction with the Belfast-Galway line at Clones?

Yes I’m pretty sure there will be :)

Thank God for that. I presume that there will be a station buffet, bookstall and 1st class waiting room provided at Clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We haven't even got a motorway to Derry yet.

Let's start with the basics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Hopefully he'll include a WIFI enabled adjacent cycle path along with viewing stands for the griceratzi

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Thank God for that. I presume that there will be a station buffet, bookstall and 1st class waiting room provided at Clones.

We’ll build it in advance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Sounds great! A rail line from Belfast to Sligo and from Sligo to Galway next please. Woohoo! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I'll take the bait.

It's been asked many times in the WRC thread but when did opposition to the questionable allocation of limited resources in applying heavy rail as a public transport solution in rural Ireland become rail-phobia?

donvito99 wrote: »
    I'll take the bait.

It's been asked many times in the WRC thread but when did opposition to the questionable allocation of limited resources in applying heavy rail as a public transport solution in rural Ireland become rail-phobia?

For questionable insert "outside the Greater Dublin Area".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

For questionable insert "outside the Greater Dublin Area areas where the inherent capacity advantage of rail is actually needed".

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

At least you could reduce the scheduled dwell time at the stations ,by not having to worry about large numbers of pax ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

That's the easy bit. Will there be a Dick at Fintona?

Of course!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

donvito99 wrote: »
    FYP

I think you’re positing snotty, one word retorts to substantial points that you cannot challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

May as well go the full hog, and lay down (on stilts) a vacum pipe (hyperloop)
    e.g. Dub to the NW coast, in the time it takes to finish off a coffee n' croissant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭SeanW

I've heard worse ideas. But my suggestion to our new Dail members is to start with the basics. Railway to Navan ASAP please. Preferably double track, electrified from day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

There had better be; sure everybody loves Dick :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

There had better be; sure everybody loves Dick :pac:

won't be there , not during the current Dail sitting anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I moved into my house in 2001 and they were talking electrifying a few kilometres of the maynooth railway line. No sign yet, although latest maildrop from Leo as our local TD suggests it's on the way. Can't see any new railways between any towns or cities being laid in my lifetime. I'm 48 btw.

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I moved into my house in 2001 and they were talking electrifying a few kilometres of the maynooth railway line. No sign yet, although latest maildrop from Leo as our local TD suggests it's on the way. Can't see any new railways between any towns or cities being laid in my lifetime. I'm 48 btw.

Electrifying the Dublin/Bray route was first discussed in the 1880s - it opened in 1984. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Eoin O Broin went for broke in the Dáil - not only does he back the railway extension to Navan, he has also mooted the construction of a high speed railway from Dublin to Derry via Navan, Tyrone and Letterkenny.

Dublin to Derry in 95mins

Letterkenny to Derry in ten.

In the time honoured phrase, go hard or go home!

:thumbsup:

I would support this but only if they used traditional construction methods; picks and shovels - no mechanisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,924 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

SF starting their position of main opposition party early with nonsense that'll never come to pass.

But sure it makes them look great.

They must have planted a load more magic money trees too.

NIMAN wrote: »
    SF starting their position of main opposition party early with nonsense that'll never come to pass.

Indeed. I haven’t taken this seriously at all, just pointing it up for the crack. Mind you if it did happen ;)

Sure, there's always the Northern Bank money. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Traditional Irish politics continues so.....

Indeed. I haven’t taken this seriously at all, just pointing it up for the crack. Mind you if it did happen ;)

Damn, you had me going, I was looking forward to a ginger beer in the new Clones buffet - with westtip. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,924 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have they costed it?

Have they costed it?

The buffet?

• Advertisement

Damn, you had me going, I was looking forward to a ginger beer in the new Clones buffet - with westtip. :D

Tsk. Don’t forget the chicken dinner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement