Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesla chargers at hotels etc - non tesla evs

• 15-06-2020 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,653 ✭✭✭✭

Just booked a few nights away with Mrs Cyrus given that we wont get a proper holiday this year.

hotel in qn appears to have a few 7kw type 2 tesla destination chargers.

whats the general attitude to plugging in any other EV that has a type 2 charger ?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Cyrus wrote: »
    Just booked a few nights away with Mrs Cyrus given that we wont get a proper holiday this year.

whats the general attitude to plugging in any other EV that has a type 2 charger ?

Did I read somewhere that Tesla destination chargers can be configured so they only work with Teslas, but can also be configured to work with any car also. There are dip switches which control this in the charge point itself. I think setting dip switch 2 down sets it to legacy mode (charge any car mode).

Best advice would be to contact the hotel and ask can you charge your car there.
    They might have a 3 pin socket you could trickle off of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭zg3409

Cyrus wrote: »

No issue. Hotel pays for power and installation. Tesla gives chargers for free to hotel as long as hotel pays for installation and electricity, and that one charger at least is set to only charge Tesla cars. There is typically a sign beside each charger with at least one saying Tesla only.

Note sometimes they don't work, are blocked busy or broken. Also sometimes the Tesla only charger DOES work for any car as it is configured not as Tesla like. Generally type 1 to type 2 adapters for old leafs do not work with Tesla destination chargers.

Some people report it taking up to a minute before charging starts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Red Tesla Destination charger is Tesla only White Tesla Destination charger is any Type 2 car

tesla-destination-chargers.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

For a second. I thought that was a salmon wrapped in bubble wrap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I was having a long lunch and a meeting at a hotel in Wexford that had 2 Tesla destination chargers out front. I could start a charge at one of them (non Tesla car). I'm sure the Tesla only charger was better, but the non Tesla one only gave around 3kW. If I knew that, I wouldn't have bothered.

• Advertisement

I was having a long lunch and a meeting at a hotel in Wexford that had 2 Tesla destination chargers out front. I could start a charge at one of them (non Tesla car). I'm sure the Tesla only charger was better, but the non Tesla one only gave around 3kW. If I knew that, I wouldn't have bothered.

Dunno. If there's zero hassle involved and I'm gonna be somewhere for a hour, I'll plug in. Local park has a lamppost charger (3.3kW) and it's plug and play. I use it whenever we go.

Think I've said it before, but perhaps I'd have a different opinion in a less efficient car (3kW in the ioniq is about 22km. In a Kona/etron/S it'd be a wee bit less.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Dunno. If there's zero hassle involved and I'm gonna be somewhere for a hour, I'll plug in. Local park has a lamppost charger (3.3kW) and it's plug and play. I use it whenever we go.

Think I've said it before, but perhaps I'd have a different opinion in a less efficient car (3kW in the ioniq is about 22km. In a Kona/etron/S it'd be a wee bit less.

Kona is plenty efficient, wouldn't put it in with the other 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Come back after an hour and you have saved yourself 3kWh or €0.24 :p

Lot of hassle getting your cable out, mess with apps / cards, sticking cable back in for a tiny saving

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭zg3409

non Tesla one only gave around 3kW. If I knew that, I wouldn't have bothered.

It depends on power available nearby and load balancing. If the location nearby has lots of power then up to 22kW is possible but car needs to be 22kW AC capable which many cars are not including Tesla. Some sites offer far less and multiple chargers can load share meaning if all are in use the Max might reduce.

Some people list the power they got on plugshare app, but without a 22kW car testing its hard to tell if full 22kW possible is connected. They are more suited to overnight stays at hotels or places where you spend 2+ hours. All the Tesla destination ones are free as far as I know but may be customers only during opening times.

Some fun facts, the chargers don't have WiFi or internet connections, but they can get updates from a Tesla car connected to them. When a Tesla vehicle connects, it does a handshake, and if the car sees the charger is running old software it can send newer software to the charger. It may also tell Tesla how busy the charger is, what the power available to charge is and other statistics but its definitely an unusual way to update a charger.

The newest chargers in USA have WiFi, but I don't know if available in Europe yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭denismc

I used one in Sneem a few months back and I am pretty sure it was giving over 6kW as the car was charged in a few hours.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Kona is plenty efficient, wouldn't put it in with the other 2.

Fair enough

unkel wrote: »
    Come back after an hour and you have saved yourself 3kWh or €0.24 :p

Lot of hassle getting your cable out, mess with apps / cards, sticking cable back in for a tiny saving

We'd be a couple of hours there. It's not the money savings, it's the km gains which the ioniq is good at. Takes a few seconds to plug it all in (no fobs, apps etc.)

Perhaps you don't have a tethered charger at home? I guess once you are used to the sheer convenience of one, you really can't be bothered plugging in elsewhere, unless you either need the range or the saving is substantial. I think I got the guts of 60kWh the last time I plugged into a slow charger (at the beach walking the dog). I needed to plug in anyway as otherwise I wouldn't have made it back home.

Perhaps you don't have a tethered charger at home? .

You are correct sir!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Takes a few seconds to plug it all in (no fobs, apps etc.)

and in a Tesla, it even has a remote button to open your charge port.

Anywhere I'd go if leaving Dublin for a long drive/overnighter, if there's a charger available to use, like a destination charger, I'd use it if I was below 60%-70% SOC (even with still enough to get home).
    Not for the few cent it would save me, but for the adding km's it would give me.

I might have no intention of using or needing those few extra km's, but I'd still like to have them there (all for little to no effort).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

First rule of EV club...

ABC

Always
    Be
    Charging

;)

BigAl81 wrote: »
    First rule of EV club...

ABC

Always
    Be
    Charging

;)

Unless it's a pandemic and you don't plan on driving much, then you probably should only charge up to 80%.

So... ABCUIAPAYDPODMTYPSOCUTEP

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

BigAl81 wrote: »
    First rule of EV club...

ABC

Always
    Be
    Charging

;)

The rule was changed in 2018 when cars with 400km of range became available, you mustn't be on the memo list :D

ABC was relevant when we only had Leaf and Zoe, neither could do even 100km range at motorway speeds. And with that I mean 120 km/h actual speed. Not the 80-90 km/h I see most of these driven at...

ABC was relevant when we only had Leaf and Zoe, neither could do even 100km range at motorway speeds. And with that I mean 120 km/h actual speed. Not the 80-90 km/h I see most of these driven at...

To be frank, the ioniq has a bit of an ABC life to it, moreso in winter. Not as dramatic as a leaf or early Zoe, but after "going for a drive" you'd be considering charging.

Did my fortnightly shopping this morning, and between easygo at Lidl and esb charger in town I got about 50km range.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

104kms commutte
    Previous, L30 charge every night
    Now, MS, 3 trips on a charge, could squeeze in a 4th if I really really wanted

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    104kms commutte
    Previous, L30 charge every night
    Now, MS, 3 trips on a charge, could squeeze in a 4th if I really really wanted

My WFH commute hardly justifies a MS (if that's even possible for me), but still.... Wants!

Did my fortnightly shopping this morning, and between easygo at Lidl and esb charger in town I got about 50km range.

You went through the whole trouble of hooking up twice, for €0.45? :p

Trust me, as soon as you get your home charger tethered, you wouldn't bother with that crap anymore.

You went through the whole trouble of hooking up twice, for €0.45? :p

Trust me, as soon as you get your home charger tethered, you wouldn't bother with that crap anymore.

Took me about 30 seconds each time. Not about the money. Didn't know how long id be shopping either. Went into the market with no queue, came out 20 minutes later to a big queue. Helped a lad out too in the process (he wasn't sure if he needed to pay for parking).

Took me about 30 seconds each time.

From the second you close your drivers door, to opening the boot, taking out your cable, hooking the cable up to your car and to the charge point and presenting your ESB car and making sure the charge is starting?

Plus the reverse when you got back to your car, from stopping the charge to disconnecting the cable and putting it back into your boot and closing the boot lid?

30s for all of that?

Not a chance, dude! I'd say more than double that. Prove me wrong :pac:

And if you do put up some evidence here of how long all that took (never mind if you go over 30s), I will go and video my charging at home and see if I can really do it in the 5s that I have claimed before I can do it in :)

Advertisement