Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miracle escape on the Prom

• 19-06-2020 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

https://connachttribune.ie/miracle-escape-on-the-prom/

It is understood that the driver of the car may have mistakenly thought that he had the gearstick in the forward position: instead the vehicle careered backwards, over the kerb, and onto the rocks.

Im all up for independent living and all but that was a close one, hopefully he hangs up his keys from now on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Yeah, so much for a "malfunction"...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Scary stuff, glad they're making a good recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Bredabe

https://connachttribune.ie/miracle-escape-on-the-prom/

It is understood that the driver of the car may have mistakenly thought that he had the gearstick in the forward position: instead the vehicle careered backwards, over the kerb, and onto the rocks.

Im all up for independent living and all but that was a close one, hopefully he hangs up his keys from now on

TBF, this kind of thing(but less dramatically) used to happen to my ex a few times a year.

He wouldn't have been categorised as old and was trained for all kinds of emergency driving situations. Absentmindness isn't confined to elderly ppl.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bredabe wrote: »
    TBF, this kind of thing(but less dramatically) used to happen to my ex a few times a year.

He wouldn't have been categorised as old and was trained for all kinds of emergency driving situations. Absentmindness isn't confined to elderly ppl.

There is no room for absentmindedness when you're operating a piece of machinery which has the capacity to kill or badly injure people.

And in the Salthill case, to have enough power to get over the footpath etc, the driver must have applied an absolutely leaden foot. No way should anyone be pulling out that quickly there.
    It's not the driver who was lucky here. Its the passenger, other vehicle users and pedestrians in the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

There is no room for absentmindedness when you're operating a piece of machinery which has the capacity to kill or badly injure people.

And in the Salthill case, to have enough power to get over the footpath etc, the driver must have applied an absolutely leaden foot. No way should anyone be pulling out that quickly there.
    It's not the driver who was lucky here. Its the passenger, other vehicle users and pedestrians in the area.

Hope you continue to be fortunate in life that you never do anything you regret.

Let Those without sin cast the first stone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

As a person who worked all my time in the motor trade you don't have a clue what you are on about, the amount of crashes etc that were caused by people taking their eyes of the ball and making silly mistakes that led to crashes and going off the road is endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved to own thread as it's grown its own legs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I liked The English Patient! Very far fetched and very very boring. It was my kind of film

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ah god help them, they must have got an awful fright. It can happen to anyone young, middle or older. These things happen.

Glad they are alright and no one was killed or injured. I'd say they are mortified, but hey, sh!t happens sometimes. Will be quickly forgotten anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

biko wrote: »
    Moved to own thread as it's grown its own legs.

It's gone off the rails if you ask me. Or off-road, as it were...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Brilliant response from Galway Fire Service, HSE, Gardai, Galway Lifeboat & Irish Coast Guard Helicopter from Shannon it has to be said.

Advertisement