Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest non-speaking moments in movie history

• 19-06-2020 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Sometimes you don’t need to say something to get the point across.

What are the greatest moments in movie history that have no speaking in them? I’ll get the ball rolling with this beauty. Bobby de Niro at the height of his powers, figuring everything out with his eyes. Amazing scene

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,368 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

King Kong grabbing that airplane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

David Bowman's journey through the monolith - 2001: A Space Odyssey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The original black and white film version of King Kong. You edge in on this mystery island and the cannibal tribe in their grass skirts and bone noserings are getting ready for a human sacrifice on the beach by torchlight in the dark, behind them are two sets of huge bolted shut gates towering into the sky, there is frenzied drum beating and the sudden silence - and all you can hear is the massive not human pounding of something enormous coming up to the giant gates behind them in the dark - and they all cower with fear. No-one yet knows what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Brendog wrote: »
    David Bowman's journey through the monolith - 2001: A Space Odyssey

Trippy as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

There is a scene in The Boys from Brazil where the head nazi guy glares down the phone at the nazi hunter (doesnt know who is on the other end) who hangs up the phone and says something like he felt something evil on the other end. thats impressive

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

The start of UP. God I had tears streaming down my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Th Long Good Friday Bob Hoskins character knowing his fate is sealed at the hands of the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The massive schlong all up in your grill in The Crying Game

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Similar one to the OP. Michael Corleone realises that Fredo had met Johnny Ola before and had betrayed the family. The anguish is palpable, he knows what he has to do.

https://youtu.be/P-JxPQs3aGM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Homelander

Girl in the red coat from Schlinders List.

Simple yet incredibly powerful in capturing the horror of the Holocaust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

The final duel in the Good the Bad and the Ugly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Red finally meeting Andy again down in Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The hanging scene in 12 Years a Slave

Very tense and tough to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭MfMan

Two scenes from The Pianist; where Szpilman climbs over the wall of the hospital and staggers down the ruined, bombed-out Warsaw street. Later, where he plays the piano, perhaps for his life, before the German captain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHfQCfUTlXE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭buried

Yeah yeah yeah, I know, there is talk at the start of this clip, but when the talk stops and you hear is the train track, the heads on the boys, the desolate absolute shtate of the place, the wirey soundtrack towards the end, its so so f**king cool. Just watched this again last night. This scene is probably my favourite scene from any motion picture ever made.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

It's a bit on the nose but that scene at the end of beaches is good.

I also really really like the kitchen fight in the Raid 2. They start off with the different fighting styles almost like chess and then a six or seven minute maul.... not a word or dry quip in sight

• Registered Users Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

ziedth wrote: »
    I also really really like the kitchen fight in the Raid 2. They start off with the different fighting styles almost like chess and then a six or seven minute maul.... not a word or dry quip in site

Myself and a mate travelled 2 hours away to see this in the cinema as the local one wasn't showing it. We were both literally on the edge of our seats by the end of that fight. IMO, one of the best fight scenes to ever grace our screens, and one which won't be matched for quite a while (until The Raid 3 I reckon). And that's saying something as nearly every other fight scene in both films (especially the hallway fight in Raid 1) are top of the list of fight scenes. Just that the Kitchen fight scene was a fantastic addition to a film that was building and building up to that point.

Edit: There's a 12 minute clip on YouTube of the warehouse, Baseball Bat boy and Hammer Girl, and the Kitchen scene all in 1. Just watched it again. Just sublime!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Myself and a mate travelled 2 hours away to see this in the cinema as the local one wasn't showing it. We were both literally on the edge of our seats by the end of that fight. IMO, one of the best fight scenes to ever grace our screens, and one which won't be matched for quite a while (until The Raid 3 I reckon). And that's saying something as nearly every other fight scene in both films (especially the hallway fight in Raid 1) are top of the list of fight scenes. Just that the Kitchen fight scene was a fantastic addition to a film that was building and building up to that point.

Edit: There's a 12 minute clip on YouTube of the warehouse, Baseball Bat boy and Hammer Girl, and the Kitchen scene all in 1. Just watched it again. Just sublime!

I'd say I have watched that very clip a dozen times..... it's unbelievable

Advertisement