Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Then we need somewhere to park so we can use the beauitful park .Not everyone lives within walking distance and it is there for us all to enjoy

But if you create parking for everyone then there will be less and less beautiful park for all to enjoy. It is a city park, there are limits to how much access we can give to cars in our growing (population) city. If some people have to drive to the park then we should be looking at why we do not have more parks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Loads of parks near me and Dublin in general. Phoenix park one of very few that does not have parking at the entrance or around it. That requires you to drive into the middle of it to park.

You want to keep that illogical design. When it's been the cause of arguments for decades.

It's like a bucket with a tiny hole to fill it and to empty it. People complain it's always full and takes ages to empty it. But won't change how they use it, or the design of it. Because some mad old grandparent made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Motors weren't really a factor back when the park was 'man made'.

Where they could use for parking though is where they currently have gigs (don't get me started on that) and use overflow parking for events on in the visitor centre, at the Ashtown gate.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Motors weren't really a factor back when the park was 'man made'. ....

They had a car racing in it 100 yrs ago and frequently changed it since.

People like to say people are looking to concrete over the whole thing. When all people are looking to it change improve how it works. Improve it as a park.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Doesn't matter if they had F1 in it last year, it wasn't 'built' with cars in mind.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if they had F1 in it last year, it wasn't 'built' with cars in mind.

Pre dates bicycles yet people want changes for bicycles.

There's double standards being applied here. If a change suits a certain agenda then conservation is ignored.

Did you follow them? I think that’s called stalking...

Seriously they could be going anywhere, even if it is town so what and NONE of your business

This is a discussion about the Phoenix park, cars driving & parking in it.
    People have made the point, me included, that plenty of cars parked there belong to commuters, who use it as a big free car park.
    There are people on here complaining that there isn't enough parking for users, there is. The problem is people parking there that are not using the park.
    so, you see very much the business of all park users I would think.

beauf wrote: »
    Why don't you ring Garda HQ or the Park Ranger. One of them will be deciding if that's ok or not.

What do you mean ok? do you mean legal?
    Trust me,I am well aware that it is legal. But isn't that one of the points we are discussing here? all day parking by commuters should be stopped & then there would be more than enough parking for actual users of the park.

I mean the opw complains about parking and commuters but then encourages it by doing nothing about it.

bubblypop wrote: »
    This is a discussion about the Phoenix park, cars driving & parking in it.
    People have made the point, me included, that plenty of cars parked there belong to commuters, who use it as a big free car park.
    There are people on here complaining that there isn't enough parking for users, there is. The problem is people parking there that are not using the park.
    so, you see very much the business of all park users I would think.

Ban all commuters then. Including cyclists.

Then there's no conflict between cyclists and pedestrians either.

• Advertisement

Surely just make it paid parking. That would disincentivise the commuters and shoppers, who use it as a parking lot. Maybe free for an hour or two and then jack up the prices

Ban all commuters then. Including cyclists.

Then there's no conflict between cyclists and pedestrians either.

You must find things difficult to understand......
    I have no problem with commuters using the park for commuting, I just don't think they should use it as a big free carpark for the city....

I think people that park in the Phoenix Park should be either working in th epark, or visiting the park itself.

woody22 wrote: »
    Surely just make it paid parking. That would disincentivise the commuters and shoppers, who use it as a parking lot. Maybe free for an hour or two and then jack up the prices

Seems to be beyond them.

Fines for parking on the grass etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I have no problem with commuters using the park for commuting, I just don't think they should use it as a big free carpark for the city....

I think people that park in the Phoenix Park should be either working in th epark, or visiting the park itself.

Compromise. Put paid parking in the park. Max €5 for max 5 hours. Gets rid of those working in town but not too expensive for leisure users.

Likewise you must be struggling with the title of the thread. Parking AND Traffic in the Park.

You're pet subject is obviously people using it as park and ride. (Though you don't know if they have parked and just going to get a coffee in the shop, before going back to work, I say that because we see them walking back with stuff like coffees from that shop) But it overlaps with people parking and using the park, and also commuters, cyclists and whole load of things.

But if people don't want to treat them as inter-related fine lets do blank bans and be ignorant of the nuances of it all. But do it to everyone. Seems fair.

Likewise you must be struggling with the title of the thread. Parking AND Traffic in the Park.

You're pet subject is obviously people using it as park and ride. (Though you don't know if they have parked and just going to get a coffee in the shop, before going back to work, I say that because we see them walking back with stuff like coffees from that shop) But it overlaps with people parking and using the park, and also commuters, cyclists and whole load of things.

But if people don't want to treat them as inter-related fine lets do blank bans and be ignorant of the nuances of it all. But do it to everyone. Seems fair.

From what shop?
    I watch people everyday, this morning at 6.45am included, parking their cars & heading into town. And I can assure you that I do know that the 2 this morning parked outside Garda HQ for the day, as their cars were still parked there half an hour ago.

Do what to everyone? You want more car parks put into the Phoenix park, when there are enough parking space for everyone using the park. The trick is to just allow parking for patrons of the park.

I don't see any issues with persons driving through the park, or cyclists or pedestrians.

From what shop?
    I watch people everyday, this morning at 6.45am included, parking their cars & heading into town. And I can assure you that I do know that the 2 this morning parked outside Garda HQ for the day, as their cars were still parked there half an hour ago.

If they were working in the HQ or the Zoo or similar, you'd expect them to be there all day.

I've always assumed the majority were staff. Indeed someone else on one of these forums said they park on the Ave for work in the park, as they don't have allocated parking.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/civilian-staff-in-cars-are-refused-entry-to-garda-hq-1.169413
    Do what to everyone? You want more car parks put into the Phoenix park, when there are enough parking space for everyone using the park. The trick is to just allow parking for patrons of the park.

No I wanted better use of parking. Also you can keep saying there is enough parking but that doesn't make it true. Considering the problems outside of work hours which are well known.

But don't let facts get in the way of the dogma.
    I don't see any issues with persons driving through the park, or cyclists or pedestrians.

You don't see what you don't want to see. There's a ton of video, photographic and media evidence to prove there are issues. You don't have to accept anyones opinion on it.

If they were working in the HQ or the Zoo or similar, you'd expect them to be there all day.

I've always assumed the majority were staff. Indeed someone else on one of these forums said they park on the Ave for work in the park, as they don't have allocated parking.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/civilian-staff-in-cars-are-refused-entry-to-garda-hq-1.169413

No I wanted better use of parking. Also you can keep saying there is enough parking but that doesn't make it true. Considering the problems outside of work hours which are well known.

But don't let facts get in the way of the dogma.

You don't see what you don't want to see. There's a ton of video, photographic and media evidence to prove there are issues. You don't have to accept anyones opinion on it.

I know if someone works in the depot, also zoo staff have enough parking inside the zoo.
    Like i said, no issue with people parking in the park if they are working in or visiting the park. That is fair enough.
    Its the people parking there and going elsewhere that's the problem.

Better use of parking? what does that mean exactly? tow cars parked on grass? yes, I agree. Force those lazy drivers to an actual car park instead of on the grass.

what issues are there regarding cyclists & pedestrians in the park?

If you don't know by now, nothing I say can explain it to you.

In pretty sure any article or video will be, ignored, taken out of context, or "I know a guy".

Have an entrance fee for the park, for pedestrians, cyclists and cars.

Let people vote with their wallet of they want to be there.

• Advertisement

For pedestrians????

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

For pedestrians????

It's to make up for them not paying"road tax"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'd agree in principle but the place would be ruined with signage and in fairness to OPW they keep that kind of pollution to the absolute minimum in the Park.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'd agree in principle but the place would be ruined with signage and in fairness to OPW they keep that kind of pollution to the absolute minimum in the Park.

I think that a single big board at every entrance would be fine. Rather have some signage if it meant less parking

For pedestrians????

Pay for the upkeep of the park.
    You use it. You pay for it.

Pay for the upkeep of the park.
    You use it. You pay for it.

You’re right. There should also be a fee for walking on the pavement in the city

You’re right. There should also be a fee for walking on the pavement in the city

Who do think pays for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ah would ya cop on to life.

Phoenix Park is the jewel in the crown of the OPW, they run it on behalf of the people of Ireland and they use our taxes to do it, pretty well overall. Would you dream of seeing a charge for pedestrian entry into Hyde Park or Richmond Park or the Tiergarten?! Let's be serious here.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ah would ya cop on to life.

Phoenix Park is the jewel in the crown of the OPW, they run it on behalf of the people of Ireland and they use our taxes to do it, pretty well overall. Would you dream of seeing a charge for pedestrian entry into Hyde Park or Richmond Park or the Tiergarten?! Let's be serious here.

It’s a wind up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Doesn't matter, no one is listening, no one who can decide really cares.

North Road for through traffic, no parking ever on Chesterfield.

Paid parking everywhere else.

Pedestrians and cyclists free to enter. It is important to protect the fabric of this wonderful park. For everyone.

Advertisement