Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

appledrop wrote: »
    Its not commuters we only go at weekends. Similarly the worse traffic jams at moment are at the weekend.the easy option is blame the commuters but its not as easy as that.

I think some people here are in denial at how many people across the country want to enjoy the park + need a car to get there.

I think some people are in denial as to what happens to a park when everyone who wants to visit it parks in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Stark wrote: »

Lol. But I have have an example. Has been done in other cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭appledrop

polesheep wrote: »
    I think some people are in denial as to what happens to a park when everyone who wants to visit it parks in it.

Maybe you should pay a visit to zoo car park + see the amount of families that park their + all stuff they need/ bring with them to visit the zoo ,while also maybe having 3 kids in tow.

But sure its grand they can get about 3 different types of public transport especially if live outside Dublin+ good long walk once in park to actually get to zoo.

polesheep wrote: »

I think people know very well that some would love to restrict the park to suit themselves and regardless of others who might be using the park. That is a very obvious agenda.

But why not try it for 12 months. Anyone who hasn't used it during the lock down has got used to it by now.

Hurrache wrote: »
    You want a Luas stop from every direction, or are you going to be realistic?

What did I say that wasn't realistic.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Almost all your suggestions are worse for the park. They either require lots more driving and parking in it, removing green space seems a hobby horse, even though no one else is suggesting this.. and restricting the number of people who can access the park.

They should try it all for a year. It's love to see the results.

Can you please show me where I made these suggestions?

Maybe you should pay a visit to zoo car park + see the amount of families that park their + all stuff they need/ bring with them to visit the zoo ,while also maybe having 3 kids in tow.

But sure its grand they can get about 3 different types of public transport especially if live outside Dublin+ good long walk once in park to actually get to zoo.

As a child I was brought to the Zoo many times... by bus. I loved every minute of it, including the bus journey.

Stark wrote: »
    Zoo car park is quite big. Are you sure it's only Zoo users who are using it? It's quite close to the Parkgate street end so wouldn't be surprised if there were commuters using it.

Sure there are. But since the problem also exists out side of working hours. It's only a part of a larger problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think people are referring to my posts.

I have petitioned the local TDs at either side of the Park and the various authorities to revert the traffic setup to the pre-Covid arrangement as soon as possible and I've received positive and agreeable soundings in that regard.

The current arguments around retaining what has been installed recently hold no water. Public transport and shared bicycles are going to be restricted for a very long time and the Phoenix Park is national amenity, not to mind all of Dublin. Limiting it through over zealous and ill considered measures to those within walking and cycling distance is unacceptable.

And I don't want to hear any more suggestions of parking outside it. Apart from the off-putting pay and display in streets on the City side, why should the residents of Castleknock, Chapelizod, Navan Road etc have to put up with wholly unnecessary imposition on their own quite limited residential parking.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I think people are referring to my posts.

I have petitioned the local TDs at either side of the Park and the various authorities to revert the traffic setup to the pre-Covid arrangement as soon as possible and I've received positive and agreeable soundings in that regard.

The current arguments around retaining what has been installed recently hold no water. Public transport and shared bicycles are going to be restricted for a very long time and the Phoenix Park is national amenity, not to mind all of Dublin. Limiting it through over zealous and ill considered measures to those within walking and cycling distance is unacceptable.

And I don't want to hear any more suggestions of parking outside it. Apart from the off-putting pay and display in streets on the City side, why should the residents of Castleknock, Chapelizod, Navan Road etc have to put up with wholly unnecessary imposition on their own quite limited residential parking.

Well said I agree with you 100% The way some people are going on here you would think they own park because they live near it. Its one of biggest parks in Europe. Not reasonable to expect everyone going to it to use public transport or bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Talk of getting rid of the new cycle lane on Chesterfield avenue is madness.
    It's 4km of high quality, wide and straight cycling lane.
    At a time when DCC are looking to increase bike journeys in the city by 300%.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,119 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well said I agree with you 100% The way some people are going on here you would think they own park because they live near it. Its one of biggest parks in Europe. Not reasonable to expect everyone going to it to use public transport or bikes.

If you go to any of the major public parks in Paris, you see many opportunities for parking. People are encouraged to go to parks, not like here, where some people want to preserve the Phoenix Park like a museum piece, only visited by those in walking distance.

Come on now its not a proper cycle lane. Its a space on side of road blocked off by cones. I wouldn't actually have problem with the cycle lane if they replaced the parking the park has lost nearby so it could be used by everyone else that doesn't live down the road from the park.

And this is the impasse. There is no compromise on either side. Just hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Sounds like a great idea to me! Sooner rather than later please.

Come on now its not a proper cycle lane. Its a space on side of road blocked off by cones. I wouldn't actually have problem with the cycle lane if they replaced the parking the park has lost nearby so it could be used by everyone else that doesn't live down the road from the park.

What is a proper cycle lane. Usually it's a bit of paint.

Chesterfield Ave is a much safer place for everyone now the parking is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

bubblypop wrote: »

Was it unsafe before? I would argue that it wasn't. Yes, I would improve pedestrian crossing points near the big attractions, but overall there wasn't a demonstrable problem.

Incidentally, the OPW seemingly made no change to the Parks bye-laws to introduce these cycle lanes, which is probably Ok as an emergency measure, but my reading of the law around it is that they MUST revert to the situation that pertained before, then advertise changes to the bye-laws for public consultation before putting something in permanently.

It was much safer when all the people were gone also.

Just watched 2 people park up outside Garda HQ & head off walking to town.
    Commuters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Just watched 2 people park up outside Garda HQ & head off walking to town.
    Commuters.

Did you follow them? I think that’s called stalking...

Seriously they could be going anywhere, even if it is town so what and NONE of your business

Why don't you ring Garda HQ or the Park Ranger. One of them will be deciding if that's ok or not.

Wasn't there some issue before where civilians working in Garda HQ weren't allowed to park in it. So they all parked out side or something. There was some issue or dispute anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I agree, I travel through the park daily and little kids jumping out from cars to go to the zoo or whatever is a serious hazard, unloading them onto the main road like that. Using the city's park as a car park is also aesthetically crappy. It is so lovely since Covid came in, although I appreciate there are city workers who commute who will be put out, but I am 100% in agreement that it should be left the way it is, as a park and not a car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Was it unsafe before? I would argue that it wasn't. Yes, I would improve pedestrian crossing points near the big attractions, but overall there wasn't a demonstrable problem.

There was an obvious problem. Some people drive too fast, some didn't like to see others use it and abuse or try punish them, and the avenue essentially split the park in two, it was a right PITA to cross from one side to the other as a family, more so at the sections that have heavy parking on both sides. Do it near the zoo and you're at the mercy of someone slowing and stopping for you.

Litter the avenue with raised pedestrian crossings every couple of 100 metres would be a start.

It's madness to think that a car has priority over anyone else throughout the park, there's practically no pedestrians crossings. What's it, 1, 2 even?

The attitude in the post above, quoted below, is demonstrable to that. It should certainly not be viewed as a main road and everything that goes with that.
    maxsmum wrote: »
    I agree, I travel through the park daily and little kids jumping out from cars to go to the zoo or whatever is a serious hazard, unloading them onto the main road like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

maxsmum wrote: »
    I agree, I travel through the park daily and little kids jumping out from cars to go to the zoo or whatever is a serious hazard, unloading them onto the main road like that. Using the city's park as a car park is also aesthetically crappy. It is so lovely since Covid came in, although I appreciate there are city workers who commute who will be put out, but I am 100% in agreement that it should be left the way it is, as a park and not a car park.

Then we need somewhere to park so we can use the beauitful park .Not everyone lives within walking distance and it is there for us all to enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Then we need somewhere to park so we can use the beauitful park .Not everyone lives within walking distance and it is there for us all to enjoy

Absolutely, the car parks off the main road are there for that and maybe they could be extended and landscaped nicely, I would add with nice public toilets and baby changing facilities ideally, but Chesterfield Avenue definitely should not be a car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,874 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hurrache wrote: »
    There was an obvious problem. Some people drive too fast, some didn't like to see others use it and abuse or try punish them,

This ^^

I don't have a huge issue with people being able to drive to the Park, park there and enjoy it. I do have an issue with the people who feel entitled to drive in the Park as if it was a motorway and get aggressive with people who are shock horror using it as a recreational facility.

The irony is most of this conversation started by cyclists (usually commuters) going flat out at dangerous speeds complaining about cars and pedestrians in their way.

Hence their whole agenda is about the Ave and ignores the rest of the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,874 ✭✭✭✭Stark

:rolleyes:

Advertisement