Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xpeng P7 Chinese EV 720km range £35k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Looks nice, imagine we would spend double that over here...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,695 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sign of things to come. In 20-30 years time, most of us will be driving Chinese cars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iomusicdublin

unkel wrote: »
    Sign of things to come. In 20-30 years time, most of us will be driving Chinese cars.

In 2 years

In 2 years

LOL, not quite. In 2 years the overwhelming majority of people in this country will still be driving cars with internal combustion engines. Never mind EVs. Never even mind EVs that were made in China...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭eagerv

In 20-30 years most of us will be speaking Chinese, lol :D

• Advertisement

Nah. We'll drive their cars, but they'll speak our language ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭zg3409

LOL, not quite. In 2 years the overwhelming majority of people in this country will still be driving cars with internal combustion engines. Never mind EVs. Never even mind EVs that were made in China...

The MG ZS EV of which there are a couple in ROI is made in China. Many other models are being introduced into Norway first then rest of Europe later. The fact some are manufacturing right hand drive shows they are serious about the european market including UK.IRL

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_ZS_(crossover)

The south Koran Kia has opened a European plant to assemble EVs, which were transported from Korea before,

Tesla were assembled in USA now building plant in Germany.
    so these companies may open European assembly plants depending on taxes, duty, turnaround time. Japan did a deal with Europe to ship finished cars to Europe with low taxes so they could keep manufacturing alive in Japan.

I think the switch to EVs may be quicker than people assume, although the car industry seems to want to delay the inevitable as long as possible.

In 2 years EV will be cheaper to buy than ICE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

In 2 years EV will be cheaper to buy than ICE

Not much good if it doesn't go half the distance and you can't charge it anywhere but your house.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

irishgeo wrote: »
    Not much good if it doesn't go half the distance and you can't charge it anywhere but your house.

Like some sort of public charging network perhaps?

My old car could go about 900km on a tank. Most I did without stopping was probably Dublin to Cork a couple of times. Most new EVs will do Dublin to Cork non stop. The issue of "range" is becoming less and less of a point, and with it the issue of public charging too. Still valid points, but less and less as technology (and the network) advances.

Like some sort of public charging network perhaps?

My old car could go about 900km on a tank. Most I did without stopping was probably Dublin to Cork a couple of times. Most new EVs will do Dublin to Cork non stop. The issue of "range" is becoming less and less of a point, and with it the issue of public charging too. Still valid points, but less and less as technology (and the network) advances.

Maybe if you went somewhere other than the motorway you see the lack of charging points in rural areas.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Maybe if you went somewhere other than the motorway you see the lack of charging points in rural areas.

You don't need a public charger near your home, most people who live in rural areas are well able to install a domestic charger as they have the space for it.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I see where you're coming from, and I do agree rural areas are a bit shy of charge point (kudos on calling them charge points and not chargers!). There's certainly blackspots around the country (north west, west Galway, Kerry, the wild Atlantic way pretty much), some of which have plans to upgrade their charge points, and some which don't. Day trips are tricky in those places currently (depending on your cars range), but for overnight stays i've been pretty pleasantly surprised at the amount of hotels with destination charge points (or a simple 3 pin socket). It's not perfect, but the post you quoted was talking about 2 years time, and we're still in the innovators phase here in Ireland.

56f10c0c9f21d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

The usual FUD these egits have been pedaling for years. It's Ironic that big auto paid billions to spread this bs, in particular making range a barrier....now they are trying to sell EVs at scale...and their marketing dollars are working against them.

jusmeig wrote: »
    The usual FUD these egits have been pedaling for years. It's Ironic that big auto paid billions to spread this bs, in particular making range a barrier....now they are trying to sell EVs at scale...and their marketing dollars are working against them.

The higher range cars have a price barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I wonder why the Kia Niro constantly gets reported as a much lower range than real world experience? Maybe they're quoting the 39kWh version.

My 64kWh never reported less than 400km on the GOM at 100% over the winter, and real world driving bears this out as pretty accurate. Summer range is much more, of course.

Not sure what you mean there Silent Running, your eNiro is down in that graph as 455km!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Not sure what you mean there Silent Running, your eNiro is down in that graph as 455km!

Ah right, thanks. I missed it and found the e-Niro ot the bottom of the graph. That must be the 39kWh then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

v nice looking car, deffo got some stylish tips from the model S

• Advertisement

Not sure I understand you.

P7 has a range of 720km

P100D has 640km range

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Not sure I understand you.

P7 has a range of 720km

P100D has 640km range
    Not comparable.

Teslas use EPA or WLTP ratings.

Xpeng uses NEDC.

Where did you get 720km from? I see 706km:

https://insideevs.com/news/428609/xpeng-p7-increased-range-rating-miit/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

The thing that gets me between the ICE and EV debate is .... If I purchase an ICE, I can pretty much expect it to last many years.

Current vehicle is 15yrs old, I have it for the past 10yrs, at present can't afford to change but if circumstances were in my favour, my logic is that I NEED the vehicle to outlast the time needed to repay it (probably 5yrs) and then for me to get some life out of it after that, I can't see that happening with EVs (it's possible that battery replacements might happen in a few years but for now... That's my main issue with EVs - avoiding the fact I cannot afford any).

The vehicle posted looks like a magnificent machine, unfortunately we have the paddy tax here which would bring the overall cost of this vehicle above the reach of many, however.... With the greens in "power" there's hope.

I can't understand why green technologies are not properly incentivised, if installing a wind turbine or solar panels on my house would benefit the world and possibly even the national grid, why not make it affordable.

It also confused me why we cannot build kinetic road networks, to allow EVs charge while driving, even if it simply meant they didn't discharge significantly for a journey, it would be costly to build but it would also make Ireland a place for EV driving.

Apologies for the rant.... My head is melted from lockdown and lack of work.

Current vehicle is 15yrs old, I have it for the past 10yrs, at present can't afford to change but if circumstances were in my favour, my logic is that I NEED the vehicle to outlast the time needed to repay it (probably 5yrs) and then for me to get some life out of it after that, I can't see that happening with EVs (it's possible that battery replacements might happen in a few years but for now... That's my main issue with EVs

Your concern is very much outdated. An EV will last longer than an ICE. A battery will easily last 15 years, most likely after the car is scrapped it will have a second life of another 15 years in grid or home attached storage. The battery will degrade, but this is gradual and relatively little. I'd expect a 15 year old EV battery to still have about 80% of its original capacity. This is based on data from degradation of the Tesla Model S battery in the USA (in production since 2012)

Your concern is very much outdated. An EV will last longer than an ICE. A battery will easily last 15 years, most likely after the car is scrapped it will have a second life of another 15 years in grid or home attached storage. The battery will degrade, but this is gradual and relatively little. I'd expect a 15 year old EV battery to still have about 80% of its original capacity. This is based on data from degradation of the Tesla Model S battery in the USA (in production since 2012)

Thank you for opening my eyes to the possibility that an EV can live as long as an ICE, now .... what can you do about me being able to afford one !!! LoL

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Nah. We'll drive their cars, but they'll speak our language ;)

What if we speak Chinese and drive old German Diesels :O

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Thank you for opening my eyes to the possibility that an EV can live as long as an ICE, now .... what can you do about me being able to afford one !!! LoL

How much do you spend on Petrol in 15 years? 20-25k ?

ampleforth wrote: »
    How much do you spend on Petrol in 15 years? 20-25k ?

Diesel (yes, the devils juice)

Over 15yrs, rough guesstimate €60k

(This is mostly offset against income tax and vat)

If you look at the bargains thread, there are regularly EVs posted in there from about €4k

They would have a lower total cost of ownership than if someone gave you an ICE car for free :)

• Advertisement

If you look at the bargains thread, there are regularly EVs posted in there from about €4k

They would have a lower total cost of ownership than if someone gave you an ICE car for free :)

As sad as it sounds, don’t even have €4K....current situation due to pandemic has me in a pretty bad place, I have €250ish space on a 4K overdraft and I’m working 3days every 2 weeks, social welfare say that I’m working so don’t qualify for covid19 payments and they needed copies of bank statements for various bank accounts for the previous 6months.(parents, friends and other family members have offered financial help should we need it, but I’m holding out until I hear back from welfare)

And just for the record, I did get the ICE for free.... borrowed it from my parents in 2010, they transferred ownership after maybe 2months and purchased a replacement car for themselves.

Advertisement