Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amateur Framebuilding Discussion

• 11-06-2020 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hey,

Just wanted to see if there's anyone else on here building frames on an amateur basis in garages, sheds, kitchens etc? I did a framebuilding course while living in the UK and have built two more frames since. Anyways just thought it would be good to connect with anyone who has built their own frame, share a bit of knowledge.

I'm looking to get back into it in Dublin now but need to find some workspace to do it and also think about what brazing kit to buy.

Cheers
    Dan

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,998 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd love to try it, but there's no one doing courses in it, that i am aware of.
    there are one or two framebuilders in ireland, but no classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd love to try it as well. I'll get around to it some day.

This guy up north does some lovely work: https://www.donard.cc/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,998 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he'd want to!
    "Full build with Campagnolo Record component package from £6,700"

• Registered Users Posts: 45 danieljh

Cycle Training in Limerick look to be setting up a 5 day framebuilding course this year which looks good. Will be interesting to see it take off.

I've built my own frame jig and have everything except for the welding kit and the space to actually do any building. Search of a space will start again once restrictions are lifted as I really want to build a new road bike! I've got the tubes from Reynolds already and an order from Ceeway for the other frame parts.

The framebuilders I've seen so far are Fiftyone, Donard and Arcane. Not sure if there are any others

• Advertisement

i don't think woodelo are active at all these days, are they?

danieljh wrote: »
    The framebuilders I've seen so far are Fiftyone, Donard and Arcane. Not sure if there are any others

I follow these guys as well. They do some lovely colour schemes.

http://www.fieldcycles.com/

they're not irish, are they?

No, based in Sheffield I think. Sorry for the confusion.

The framebuilders I've seen so far are Fiftyone

€155 for a short sleeved jersey!! What is it made out of? Who is buying that stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

Thinking about building my own bike from scratch. Any ideas where to begin?

You mean frame and everything? You'll fine plenty of videos on youtube to guide you.
    The equipment you need to get started is the biggest hurdle (financially).

Cobra Framebuilding on youtube is a good resource. Also there are a lot of books like the Paterak manual. It does get expensive to get all your own kit though. The Bicycle Academy in Frome in the UK have some really good jigs and tools but are pricey for starting off. I made my own jig and although not perfect it does the job and cost about 400 euro to make. Tubes can be bought from Ceeway or direct from Reynolds.

I made my own jig and although not perfect it does the job.

Have you got pictures? I'd love to see your setup and work.

Been struggling to put on photos but then realised I haven't put up enough posts!

Chapman Cycles does some really good videos on instagram also to look at framebuilders

Also does anyone have experience of bicycle frame painters or powder coaters ideally in Dublin but anywhere that gets good results at a reasonable price?

This is the first frame I built

26673745452_df1a9d7c25_b.jpg

26494597020_de1300bd6f_b.jpg

This was my first attempt at a frame jig too. There have been some improvements but haven't taken any pictures and it's currently in storage.

32026754643_f583b132c4_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

Cool. More pics please!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭cletus

That's fantastic. Are you brazing the joints?

Yeah I've fillet brazed all the joints on the frame with brass and then silver for the cable stops etc.

26163770743_3d77fc1bd4_b.jpg

26767052725_c5fa651b7b_b.jpg

26494531960_efddd59799_b.jpg

• Advertisement

Great photos. I love to seeing this kind of work.
    It's great seeing how the pros do it, but this looks much more attainable for me, at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭mp31

Brilliant job on those frames. Did you buy or build the jig?

I built it although I bought the headtube puck. Otherwise it’s all off the shelf stuff. I’ve now bought different tube holders to put on it that I’ll try search out the link for

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭mp31

Where did you learn BTW... you mentioned a course in the UK?

I did my course at Downland Cycles in Kent which now looks to be closed down and then went on to do a fillet brazing masterclass at the Bicycle Academy in Frome in the UK. https://thebicycleacademy.org/

Have come across Paul Brodie's youtube channel which gives some really good information on framebuilding and some good reference points for anyone who is interested https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZjb4tzi9ECiOhVDgoocC3Q

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lavcon

Sorry to ressurect an old thread but can't see anything relevant more recently. Love the work you're doing there danieljh. I did a course and built a frame about 10 years ago that I still ride daily, best thing I ever did if anyone needs encouraging. Would love to build more bikes but just never got together the tools or time to do it.

Started listening to this recently

https://www.cobraframebuilding.com/podcast

which has stoked the embers again.

where did you do the course? england?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's some lad on adverts selling Reynolds and Columbus tubing

• Advertisement

i saw that - not cheap either. probably about as much as the completed frame would cost!

Advertisement