Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Quarantine being enforced?

• 17-06-2020 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm flying into Ireland for a cycling trip and understand there are rules with regards to quarantine.

Has anyone any experience to share about whether its actually been enforced or not? It's a short trip so there is no time for quarantine and we won't be mixing with other people.

We intend staying in same county once we reach our destination.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

You need to self isolate for 14 days if you arrive here from another country

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/travel.html

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,256 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And that means you should be staying indoors for 14 days. You should certainly not cycling outdoors during those 14 days. It's not a matter of whether the rules are enforced - it's your responsibility to observe them. If you do not wish to do so, stay out of Ireland. If you do you will be being incredibly selfish as well as breaching Irish rules

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

The OP didn't post for a lecture Beasty! And I didn't see him /her ask for anyone's opinion on if he's being selfish. Because that is a matter of opinion.

Many would argue that the 14 day quarantine is excessive and unnecessary and is not mandatory in most other EU countries. And when people consider a rule unnecessary they consider flouting it. Again, not your place or my place to lecture them.

The OP asked a genuine question. Is the quarantine rule being enforced? A genuine answer from posters would be interesting.

I would say, OP, that as yet it's a bit early to tell because as yet people haven't started travelling. But once they do and if the rule remains it will be interesting to know how it plays out and I hope people post their experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

StefanFal wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm flying into Ireland for a cycling trip and understand there are rules with regards to quarantine.

Has anyone any experience to share about whether its actually been enforced or not? It's a short trip so there is no time for quarantine and we won't be mixing with other people.

Thanks in advance.

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Anyone and everyone can justify their own reasons for being an exception, that's why there are laws and rules.

I'm with Beasty on this one.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Please don't do this.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,256 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

acequion wrote: »
    The OP didn't post for a lecture Beasty! And I didn't see him /her ask for anyone's opinion on if he's being selfish. Because that is a matter of opinion.
    IMO they deserve a lecture. Either way no-one should be encouraging others to break restrictions on this site. What people choose to do is ultimately up to them, but this is not a site to encourage this sort of thing.

Beasty wrote: »
    IMO they deserve a lecture. Either way no-one should be encouraging others to break restrictions on this site. What people choose to do is ultimately up to them, but this is not a site to encourage this sort of thing.

Have you seen the restrictions threads 😀

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Have you seen the restrictions threads ��

I have, but although posters strongly contend the restrictions are or have been too restrictive, if anyone actively encourages others to break them (which IMO does not preclude poster from admitting contravening regulations) then we will act (if reported - it's not easy to try and look at everything in such a busy thread and indeed forum)

What is not acceptable is seeking advice/support for proposed breaches of the rules, and in particular starting a thread with the sole purpose of seeking such support is really not on (and arguably contravenes the site ToU). I could just have closed it, but it provided an opportunity to get this message across for everyone's benefit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

It depends on your definition of "enforced". If, by "enforced" you mean that anyone has seen the 14-day quarantine rule being "enforced" on themselves or those they know, then yes I know it has been enforced. I have a family member who was phoned and asked where she was staying in order to double-check that it matched with the address she gave on her form at the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Do us all a favour and stay where you are. Despite what a lot of the Tour de France lads reckon, the Lycra and bike offer no protection in preventing the spread of the virus.

hurikane wrote: »
    Do us all a favour and stay where you are. Despite what a lot of the Tour de France lads reckon, the Lycra and bike offer no protection in preventing the spread of the virus.
    I have never competed in the Tour, but have cycled 10k+ kms in some years. I can confirm though that I am not supportive of this course of action. Cycling is of course permitted for people who are not in quarantine, but social distancing should be maintained.

It is also the view of certain experts in the field that cycling in groups is more likely to cause transmission than walking in similar size groups, because of the excessive/harder breathing etc involved in exercise and the speed at which cyclists travel, meaning someone behind another cyclist is more likely to inhale what the front cyclist exhales as it has not had chance to disperse as much as it would in a static position....

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭gral6

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Filling out a form at the airport is mandatory, self-isolation is not.
    Have a good time in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Beasty wrote: »

But they didn't open the thread to ask for encouragement to break the rules. They simply asked if the quarantine is being enforced. Which is a very fair question given that there is a lack of clarity around it.

Even coming to the country for a cycling trip doesn't automatically imply non compliance with Irish restrictions. The OP just said "We". Might only be two of them. And if the OP doesn't live in Ireland they may not know if self isolation means staying indoors or if it means staying away from others.

So the OP asked a valid and reasonable question imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

Thanks for the responses all.

Unfortunately its only a week visit so the quarantine won't be possible. We will be keeping our distance rest assured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Jaysus the amount of prophets of doom on here is astounding, these same people believe absolutely everything they are told by the Government :rolleyes:

These restrictions are going to destroy the travel and tourist industry, already it's badly hit , the virus as everyone has seen is rapidly diminishing, you cant just keep with ridiculous restrictions like this self isolate, the time is now to open up the country, we have to learn to live with the virus, an infinite lockdown with restrictions like this, and the country will disintegrate and society as we know it will too, flights wont be full for a long time anyway, you've more change getting the virus in a shop in town than you have on a near empty flight with a mask on and hand sanitiser, farcical stuff.

Unfortunately its only a week visit so the quarantine won't be possible. We will be keeping our distance rest assured.

fly to Belfast and then to Dublin, problem solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Quarantine is not mandatory. There is no enforcement as it would be illegal under EU law to enforce it, once you fill out the form at your port of entry you are good to go. Enjoy your cycling trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I think New Zealand has shown the merits of being an island and the problems brought by visitors. Even when given compassionate relaxation of restrictions those visitors did not behave responsibly.
    They had to tighten up quarantine and so do we, if it necessary then it should be done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Jaysus the amount of prophets of doom on here is astounding, these same people believe absolutely everything they are told by the Government :rolleyes:

These restrictions are going to destroy the travel and tourist industry, already it's badly hit , the virus as everyone has seen is rapidly diminishing, you cant just keep with ridiculous restrictions like this self isolate, the time is now to open up the country, we have to learn to live with the virus, an infinite lockdown with restrictions like this, and the country will disintegrate and society as we know it will too, flights wont be full for a long time anyway, you've more change getting the virus in a shop in town than you have on a near empty flight with a mask on and hand sanitiser, farcical stuff.

The OP is coming from Sweden. Even Germany is enforcing a quarantine on visitors from Sweden.

• Advertisement

Quarantine is not mandatory. There is no enforcement as it would be illegal under EU law to enforce it, once you fill out the form at your port of entry you are good to go. Enjoy your cycling trip.

This is true but many people don't know this, and think you have to actually self isolate, also there's a chance they could call to your house, unlikely but they could and this is why im flying back via Belfast to avoid this.

The OP is coming from Sweden. Even Germany is enforcing a quarantine on visitors from Sweden.

I'd be more concerned about the CTA (common travel area) if Irish citizens can travel to the UK and be exempt then it should be the same upon arrival to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

jonnny68 wrote: »
    This is true but many people don't know this, and think you have to actually self isolate, also there's a chance they could call to your house, unlikely but they could and this is why im flying back via Belfast to avoid this.

They could call to your house. They can do fcuk all when they got there though.

They could call to your house. They can do fcuk all when they got there though.

Yes i know but the cops calling to your house alone is not good and it's not something i want, they cant do anything but they can make life difficult for you which is why im travelling back via Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Keep your distance by not flying to this country for a biking holiday?

Why is this necessary? If you can't stay in one place for 2 weeks than don't come, simple as.

How do people have such audacity to think they're above the rules for a bloody leisure trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Amazing the mentality of some people. If they can’t be forced to do the right thing, they won’t. They’ll do whatever suits them and to hell with everyone else. Horrible attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

hurikane wrote: »
    Amazing the mentality of some people. If they can’t be forced to do the right thing, they won’t. They’ll do whatever suits them and to hell with everyone else. Horrible attitude.

Some of them actually take pride in not doing the right thing.

As for the OP, what not just stay home this year? Is it really worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I know a lad and his girlfriend just arrived from New York for a two weeks holiday to Ireland!

They are originally Irish, right now they are in a big garden party family reunion!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I can't help but suspect this is a wind-up.

• Advertisement

acequion wrote: »
    Even coming to the country for a cycling trip doesn't automatically imply non compliance with Irish restrictions. The OP just said "We". Might only be two of them. And if the OP doesn't live in Ireland they may not know if self isolation means staying indoors or if it means staying away from others.
    Well it does mean staying indoors as already highlighted - one or two cyclists makes no difference, unless they are cycling indoors, in which case I suspect they can do that without travelling to Ireland....

But more fundamentally look at the thread title - there is a very clear implication they knew the quarantine requirements

Advertisement