Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

bubblypop wrote: »
    Seriously? How would it take 40 mins? That's mad. You could always drive & park outside & walk in

I have timed it, twice when there was little traffic. Chapilizod Gate to parkgate street entrance and to Papal Cross to park, 20 mins, return 20 mins.
    No parking available in Chapilizod even if I wanted to park there which I don't. There is going to be a serious rat run of traffic through Chapilizod village and up Glenmaroon hill if this keeps up, I pity the residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Trekky77

A lot of the arguments by people wanting to keep cars out of the Park are that there is plenty of parking outside the park and public transport etc.

Pre-Covid I usually drove to Whites Road parked down that lane and went for a nice walk etc. But they have cordoned off that whole road now with little traffic comes. I understand there is a couple of estates there but the cars usually built up only close to the gate.

Now that we can't park there we actually just drive into the park and park the car near the Papal Cross. I don't understand the logic of condoning off areas where people usually park outside the park and forcing them to park the car in the park.

Seems bizarre!

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Talking to a Garda relative, when the Criminal Courts of Justice are back in session, those lanes WILL be parked in. A lot.

There is a part if it set aside for Garda parking, it was done because there is no Garda parking in the courts. Ridiculous in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There is no traffic chaos at the moment.
    Chesterfield Ave is much safer without cars parked either side.

...they are just making it up as they go along I guess...

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1271849825882038274

https://twitter.com/CiaranCuffe/status/1271855869630787590

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Ciaran oil shares cuffe, is nothing but a shyster.

• Advertisement

polesheep wrote: »
    So in order to accommodate them we will have to tarmac those grass spots. And additional grass spots to accommodate additional cars. You do see where this is going?

Not really. The choices are ...

1) Provide new parking so people don't have to drive through the park. Close the current car parks. Grass them over.

2) Keep the current parks open, and keep cars going through the park.

3) Close the park to all cars. Reduce the numbers of people using the park.

But you've invented a forth. Worst of all options. Keep all the cars going through park. Create loads of new car parks, and solve no problems.

Phil.x wrote: »
    Ciaran oil shares cuffe, is nothing but a shyster.

Indeed. Probably faked the video. Removed all the cyclists and walkers and added in all the cars in post production. Garda obviously fell for it also. Including the fact it was on a weekend. Not a work day. Crafty those commuters, commuting on the wrong day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

The phoenix park is not a parking lot for people's convenience. A Luas has been proposed to bring people in from outside.

It's been so much better since there's less traffic. You see loads of families out, young kids on bikes where you wouldn't before. Everyone feels safer and it's far better.

Good riddance to traffic

Trekky77 wrote: »
    A lot of the arguments by people wanting to keep cars out of the Park are that there is plenty of parking outside the park and public transport etc.

Pre-Covid I usually drove to Whites Road parked down that lane and went for a nice walk etc. But they have cordoned off that whole road now with little traffic comes. I understand there is a couple of estates there but the cars usually built up only close to the gate.

Now that we can't park there we actually just drive into the park and park the car near the Papal Cross. I don't understand the logic of condoning off areas where people usually park outside the park and forcing them to park the car in the park.

Seems bizarre!

That's really crafty. Reducing the number of cars in the park, by giving people no option except to drive into the park. Reverse logic.

bilbot79 wrote: »
    The phoenix park is not a parking lot for people's convenience. A Luas has been proposed to bring people in from outside.

It's been so much better since there's less traffic. You see loads of families out, young kids on bikes where you wouldn't before. Everyone feels safer and it's far better.

Good riddance to traffic

Ban it everywhere.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/sep/26/paris-council-approves-ban-vehicles-right-bank-seine-road

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/sep/09/paris-divided-highway-car-free-six-months-pedestrianisation

Do heck with the liffy cycle route. Just close it completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Trekky77

Good riddance to traffic

“A Lucas has been proposed” - so ban cars first and then wait for the proposed Luas to arrive. That will end well...

The park is a national park not a park for local residents, just because local residents have benefitted this is at the cost of excluding those not local. For that reason the park can not ever ban cars.

Ban all cars, and a speed limit for eBikes, scooters, and bicycles. Maybe ban them also. Its should really only be for pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

There is a part if it set aside for Garda parking, it was done because there is no Garda parking in the courts. Ridiculous in the first place!

Their HQ is a 5 min walk away and has a huge car park

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

When we were kids we used the PP as our own huge playground. Was a wonderful place like a huge back garden. The Furry Glen and sliding down the hills in the snow was great fun. My late Dad got turf from the mound there back in the day too.

I love the place to this day, it is amazing.

But it really is being taken over by cars now. Something has to give. Please.

When we were kids we used the PP as our own huge playground. Was a wonderful place like a huge back garden. The Furry Glen and sliding down the hills in the snow was great fun. My late Dad got turf from the mound there back in the day too.

I love the place to this day, it is amazing.

But it really is being taken over by cars now. Something has to give. Please.

In the 90's it was worse for traffic jams than it is now. 1 and 2 hr queues were a regular thing.

They been closing the Ave during the summer for years at this point.
    So its better than it used to be. Really needs a radical rethink. I don't think there's the imagination to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

danmci wrote: »

Yet the footpath between the hq and the NCR gate is always full of cars belonging to Gardai or other hq workers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭horse7

If they moved the GHQ to a green field site there would be enough car parking, and your dad shouldn't have disturbed the environment by taking turf from the park.

danmci wrote: »

Members going to court cannot park their private cars in Garda HQ.
    People working in HQ have permits to park there & there still isn't enough room.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭appledrop

There is already plenty of carparking space in the park. No need for more.

There is not enough car parking where it us needed at the zoo. We have a annual pass + go all the time + unless your there at 9 in morning zoo car park is always full. Its OK at moment but that's because zoo numbers restricted.

People come from all over Ireland to visit zoo so they need their cars+ it needs a lot more spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

horse7 wrote: »
    If they moved the GHQ to a green field site there would be enough car parking, and your dad shouldn't have disturbed the environment by taking turf from the park.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/reynoldshistorycastleknockblog.wordpress.com/2019/05/30/turf-piles-and-allotments-in-the-phoenix-park-wwii-local-history-castleknock/amp/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭daymobrew

How would the car park be full if its not open? The two car parks opposite are open early & full by 9am.
    I said its a good thing that Chesterfield ave is now closed to parking considering it used to be full every day from early morn.
    You said they were full at 9am. I said that they weren't. I too was referring to pre-Covid times.
    beauf said the same as me.

Are we saying the same thing? I'm confused.

beauf wrote: »
    When I used to cycle it the ave would have a few cars at Castleknock end then it would have cars from the Polo grounds to the zoo. Mostly on the zoo side as that's side going into town.

It's certainly isn't full the whole length as people like to exaggerate. I would generally be cycling between 9-9.30 so I seriously doubt there is rush of parking of commuters after that.

On my return after 6.30 there would still be about the same numbers of cars though not as clustered more evenly spread the length of the avenue and on a nice evenings lot more cars, and the foot traffic would have increased enormously.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

appledrop wrote: »
    There is not enough car parking where it us needed at the zoo. We have a annual pass + go all the time + unless your there at 9 in morning zoo car park is always full. Its OK at moment but that's because zoo numbers restricted.

People come from all over Ireland to visit zoo so they need their cars+ it needs a lot more spaces.

Zoo car park is quite big. Are you sure it's only Zoo users who are using it? It's quite close to the Parkgate street end so wouldn't be surprised if there were commuters using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

A Luas has been proposed to bring people in from outside.

Luas already takes people a 10 minute walk, at a slow pace, to the park entrance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Not really. The choices are ...

1) Provide new parking so people don't have to drive through the park. Close the current car parks. Grass them over.

2) Keep the current parks open, and keep cars going through the park.

3) Close the park to all cars. Reduce the numbers of people using the park.

But you've invented a forth. Worst of all options. Keep all the cars going through park. Create loads of new car parks, and solve no problems.

Are you actually reading my posts? I have never said anything like you posted above. Really, nothing whatsoever. Where on earth did you get it from?

appledrop wrote: »

Same here. Used to have an annual pass used it a lot. Worse on weekends and back holidays.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Luas already takes people a 10 minute walk, at a slow pace, to the park entrance.

Not everyone is coming from the same direction where that is useful.

But for sure if they ban all private cars. Then people would have to use public transport to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭appledrop

Stark wrote: »
    Zoo car park is quite big. Are you sure it's only Zoo users who are using it? It's quite close to the Parkgate street end so wouldn't be surprised if there were commuters using it.

Its not commuters we only go at weekends. Similarly the worse traffic jams at moment are at the weekend.the easy option is blame the commuters but its not as easy as that.

I think some people here are in denial at how many people across the country want to enjoy the park + need a car to get there.

polesheep wrote: »
    Are you actually reading my posts? I have never said anything like you posted above. Really, nothing whatsoever. Where on earth did you get it from?

Almost all your suggestions are worse for the park. They either require lots more driving and parking in it, removing green space seems a hobby horse, even though no one else is suggesting this.. and restricting the number of people who can access the park.

They should try it all for a year. It's love to see the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not everyone is coming from the same direction where that is useful.

But for sure if they ban all private cars. Then people would have to use public transport to get there.

You want a Luas stop from every direction, or are you going to be realistic?

Advertisement