Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcock and Brown

• 15-06-2020 6:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭

British aviators John Alcock and Arthur Brown made the first non-stop transatlantic flight on 14JUN19. They flew a modified First World War Vickers Vimy bomber from St. John's, Newfoundland, to Clifden, Connemara, County Galway, Ireland. The Secretary of State for Air, Winston Churchill, presented them with the Daily Mail prize for the first crossing of the Atlantic Ocean by aeroplane in "less than 72 consecutive hours. A small amount of mail was carried on the flight, making it the first transatlantic airmail flight. The two aviators were awarded the honour of Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (KBE) a week later by King George V at Windsor Castle.

There is a nice memorial to them in Galway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

There used to be a statue of them beside the old brick built tower at LHR

You got a great view of it from the old bus station ( I spent many an hour there waiting for the 140 or 223 )

I learnt recently they were both Knighted after doing this flight .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I was always under the impression that they put down in Galway because of engine trouble or they were running low on fuel but in fact they landed near Clifden precisely because they knew there was a Marconi wireless station nearby and they desperately wanted to get the message to London that they had completed the crossing and claim the Daily Mail prize before anyone else. The requirement was to land anywhere in GB or Ireland.

Advertisement