Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other hobbies/Obsessions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Apologize for the double post,just wanted to share another model i have

32LCiej.jpg

CIE Scammell Scarab also at the National Transport Museum Howth.

GOZJyS7.jpg

Remeber watching one being restored on Salvage Squad on Discovery Channel.The reason i have the model is it was part of another hobby i had which may even be more dangerous than watches....Hornby Model Railway.Really enjoyed it but was too expensive for me and moved to smaller house and no longer had the space.

Found some pictures of the setup,Apologize for the quality and setup as i hadn't a clue what i was doing.

fd6Airo.jpg

3E9FVS7.jpg

Swc3du3.jpg

441H7GI.jpg

1wglHQN.jpg

obqvRKG.jpg

315ciG6.jpg

N3Ght5w.jpg

Also mentioned on this thread of the PMD Seats,give you some of the idea of the money they go for [LINK] Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Wow - thanks for sharing - Dublin with a population of half a million ha... how times have changed!

Well since I left school Pluto is no longer a planet so I can feel old too I think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Some really nice bits there IP, the trains in particular.
    A really nice set up.

Lovely sentiment and memories with the bags too.

On your pens, Futura!
    Where Aer Lingus sent it's learners :pac:

The scariest, and hardest landing I've ever experienced was a Futura flight back in I think '98!
    The one time I understood why people clapped on landing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I worked on Spanair MD80s back int he mid 90s.
    The place I was in took them back off lease, did a check on them and sent them off again. Scandanavia, if memory serves.
    I had a few of them pens, as they were often in seat backs and overheads when we emptied them before stripping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

Hobbies?

Hardship in the winter and fresh air in the summer.

36-D85-D7-C-68-D0-42-B8-B1-D7-1-DF4-FC044-ED1.jpg

• Advertisement

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    I worked on Spanair MD80s back int he mid 90s.
    The place I was in took them back off lease, did a check on them and sent them off again. Scandanavia, if memory serves.
    I had a few of them pens, as they were often in seat backs and overheads when we emptied them before stripping them.

Thanks for sharing,that is pretty cool.Remember flying on the MD80s many a time going to Málaga for the summer,always loved the chicken dinner :).

MNGP4eK.jpg

Taken at Shannon back in May 2013 after they ceased operations

2xWpo4P.jpg

Also saw this while in Shannon,had several different airlines.

While looking through my Grandfathers stuff i also found a Aer Lingus ticket from 1967 from a flight to London he went on after getting married,posted it here if anyone is interested [Link]

On a walk today,after digging out those pictures of the Hornby,i couldnt resist......

PAycLpb.jpg

tkjsA1o.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Cycle touring maps of Ireland

514855.JPG

514857.JPG

Used to cycle everyday to school,during the summer go on cycles with my friends all around,absolutely loved it.Even today while walking along the canal i was watching loads cycle by and made me regret selling my Giant Rincon.

21d56VW.jpg

Looking at that map made me remember one summer my friends and I cycled to Howth from Dublin 7.We got up at like 7AM and all met up at the local shops to stock up for the trip.At the time it was a huge cycle for us,looking back at it now it doesn't seem that impressive.....

Had planned to go to Bray the following summer but it never happened due to us going our separate ways.

While in Prague in the National Technical Museum,came across this Trek with a cool history to it

y7yLu4Z.jpg

zkYszqz.jpg

J3bI3Vx.jpg

Must of been some experience,watched the Long Way Round and The Long Way Down with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman on motorbikes,trying to imagine what it would be like to cycle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That's cool. I could look at old maps of Dublin all day.

Looking at that map made me remember one summer my friends and I cycled to Howth from Dublin 7.We got up at like 7AM and all met up at the local shops to stock up for the trip.At the time it was a huge cycle for us,looking back at it now it doesn't seem that impressive.....

I live in Dublin 3 and regularly cycle the round trip to Howth for exercise.

There's a great book that was published in 1891 called 'Cyclist & Pedestrian Guide to the Neighbourhood of Dublin' with lots of useful information like that the police in Raheny were very strict about riding on the pavement, plus lots of sketches of areas round Dublin like Bray, Howth, Kingstown (Dun Laoghaire), Killiney, etc, etc.
    Here's the book cover and a couple of the one's that feature 'ordinaries' (pennyfarthings) and tricycles that women and older men rode.

514885.jpg

514886.jpg

The 'sociable' bottom left is a Coventry tricycle. This C of I church yard is still much as it is shown.

514887.jpg

• Advertisement

Going from the recent post of the map of Ireland,here is a cool map i got in Prague

oqj3qR8.jpg
    7Lmfpq8.jpg

Picked it up in the Crypt of Saints Cyril and Methodius church in a fantastic museum that shows the events of Operation Anthropoid.Entry is free along with the maps,took 2 to be able to show both sides and have it hanging in the living room

ib0gdiT.jpg

Also by making a small donation,i got this

WxQTmWt.jpg

rMpqeMD.jpg

A small booklet that goes into detail the events leading up to the Assassination.

After getting home,had to re watch the movies,think Cillian Murphy might be a time traveller :D

Yus1jpG.jpg

In the movie he is wearing a 1950s Doxa Anti-Magnetique

Q9QfeHB.jpg

Another map from Mladá Boleslav from my crazy Train/Bus/Countryside to the Škoda Auto Museum and Aeronautical Museum Methodius Vlach.

oTUrYBp.jpg

Finally the map that i used as backup during the trip due to internet troubles on my phone

1YMiIlI.jpg

The route in pen was my Friday morning dash around Prague before the Taxi arrived:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Since giving up drink and drugs ;) have gotten back into building Armour models..predominatly 2nd WW tanks. Can sink hours into it , prepping , building and painting. Just put an audible book on in the background.

Any new tank I build , I research it , read as much as I can about it before building it. Awesome bit of machinery.

Not really a hobby, more a dislike for getting rid of cameras I no longer use.

516285.JPG

I have about twice this number.

I have that Panasonic lumix, it was a great compact camera. Still have a canon 40d too which cost something like €900. You can get it for €80 now :D

This generation of camera phones I can safely say, it's not worth the hassle unless you're doing speciality shots or it's a hobby

As photogs say - the best camera you have is the one that's on you - camera phones have killed off compact digital cameras and budget dSLRs/mirror-less formats.

I recently got back into photography again and having "legacy lens" from Nikon was happy to discover that professional grade cameras which cost 4-5k 5 years ago could be got for 350 off adverts. The only time I break out the big lens is when I have a photography project I want to do - the standard camera on the phone with it's "AI" (automatic photoshopping) will be more than sufficient for most instagrammers - and especially when my full camera bag loaded up weighs around 5kg (including a lovely Soviet 300mm Prime lens used for spy photos in Eastern Germany - "Photosniper"):
    https://www.ebay.ie/sch/sis.html?_nkw=RARE%200797%20TAIR%203%20FC%20F%204%205%20300mm%20Tele%20Lens%20Soviet%20PhotoSniper%20M42%20Mount%20Filter&_itemId=163493794016

s-l1600.jpg

Heavy all metal construction but when else can you say you're using real Soviet spy gear :D

Looks like a rooftop sniper kit from Dirty Harry :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

An IKEA Billy shelf that I ordered 4 weeks ago, was finally delivered today :)

It gave the chance to sort out some of the models and I also had changed around some display posters I'd framed to go with a particular set of 11 planes.

To top it off, the Kid ordered me Paul Atreides and Feyd Ruatha funko pops for father's Day that got delivered today too!

There are a couple of models here, in particular the German ww2 bits that were assembled and painted by a lad from Tipp that he was going to end up dumping as he was running out of space!

I was and am absolutely delighted to give a home to!

https://imgur.com/a/SXUI0oV

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

banie01 wrote: »
    An IKEA Billy shelf that I ordered 4 weeks ago, was finally delivered today :)

It gave the chance to sort out some of the models and I also had changed around some display posters I'd framed to go with a particular set of 11 planes.

To top it off, the Kid ordered me Paul Atreides and Feyd Ruatha funko pops for father's Day that got delivered today too!

There are a couple of models here, in particular the German ww2 bits that were assembled and painted by a lad from Tipp that he was going to end up dumping as he was running out of space!

Wow. If Carlberg did man caves, this would be it!

Cienciano wrote: »
    Looks like a rooftop sniper kit from Dirty Harry :pac:

Can I recommend the Stazi Museum in Berlin, housed in the former HQ. You walk in and a guy straight out of 'The Lives of Others' hands you a guide book to take you round exhibits.

Of course the Stazi were limited by the technology available at the time. Most of their records were on card index files unlike today where the ability of security services to monitor and compile data records is almost limitless.

516630.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Can I recommend the Stazi Museum in Berlin, housed in the former HQ. You walk in and a guy straight out of 'The Lives of Others' hands you a guide book to take you round exhibits.

Of course the Stazi were limited by the technology available at the time. Most of their records were on card index files unlike today where the ability of security services to monitor and compile data records is almost limitless.

That's a good recommendation, I must check it out if I get to Berlin again.

I would highly recommend the KGB Museum (aka Museum of Occupations and Freedom Fights) in Vilnius, also housed in a former HQ. Similarly you get to see the level of surveillance that was in place during Soviet occupation as many of the rooms and artefacts remain in original condition.

There is also an exhibition on the occupation of Lithuania, the resistance and the victims. It was an equally fascinating and chilling experience. My wife and I left there and both agreed how important it is for it to be maintained and visited, for future generations to learn from and avoid the mistakes of the past.

• Advertisement

:eek:

Absolutely amazing man cave you got there,when are you inviting all of us over;)

Love the models,you have yourself your own air force there:cool: Was actually watching Mark Felton's latest video on the Battle of Cherbourg over lunch :)

Not sure if you have done this already,maybe an idea for another model would be a captured aircraft,something like this P-47 Thunderbolt

KtPoNBU.jpg

63GupYQ.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wow, yer man did a great job! I hadn't built a model since I was a kid, but over the recent lockdown a good mate of mine who's into that(and great at it too) sent me over a couple of aircraft kits for me to have a go at. Steep learning curve. :eek: Though some of it came back. I remembered how much I hated painting the glass canopies. :mad: Then he gave me a loan of an airbrush and that made a big difference(brush painting them is a pain). Here's one near completion. I can see the appeal as it's relaxing enough.

516691.jpg

A Ju87 Stuka from Airfix. Man they've gone way up in quality and detail from what I remember. The very first kit I can remember building with my dad was another Stuka with a big snake down the side. My dad knew an ex Stuka pilot after the war and I talked with him over the phone a few times when I was a kid so they always fascinated me. I thought the snake scheme was a made up kinda thing, as the German stuff is generally not as colourful as say the American, but turns out it actually existed. There were a couple of them apparently. Found the decals for it on eBay, though they're slightly the wrong scale, so other than the snake I used the rest from the kit. The worst scenario of "snakes on a plane" if you happen to be on the receiving end of one diving at you. :eek: :D
    Not sure if you have done this already,maybe an idea for another model would be a captured aircraft,something like this P-47 Thunderbolt
    Funny enough IP :) I was tempted to do similar with the above plane. Like this one. I love the placard in front. :D

Captured_112_Stuka1.jpg

Wrong version though I could have done a captured Italian one.

Mad factoid numero 199962: In many movies where planes are diving out of control, they almost always use the sound of a Stuka siren for effect, though diving planes don't make that sound. A good example and with our boyo from Navan too(30 second mark).

After a while Stukas stopped making the sound as the siren drove the pilots to distraction. So they added whistle tubes to the bombs themselves and that's also used a lot in movies where you have bombs falling and again bombs don't make that noise. One of the first ejection seats was first trialled in a converted Stuka and when the Americans were designing the A10 tank buster jet they interviewed ex Stuka pilots for their input.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Speaking of Models and WW2,

After finding those pictures of my Hornby Model Railway layout,unfortunately i no longer have the space for it and might be even more expensive than watches:p,but I was imagining a WW2 themed layout consisting of trains transporting tanks etc,some bomb craters,damaged tracks/buildings

Some pictures to give an idea

LJHG4ku.jpg

HFvsjMx.jpg

dv1bWnx.jpg

EUCBKxi.jpg

4VFrOnn.jpg

Captured French Somua S35,maybe TheRepentent can make a model of it ;)

JZGy4Kd.jpg

X0Qdaq9.jpg

Seeing as plenty of the guys here seem to like tanks - I can highly recommend the tank museum at Bovington, UK (near Southampton).

They have an amazing collection of real tanks from WW1 onwards:

MsThirdfox and myself had a great day there (no kidding - MsThirdfox was a big "World of Tanks" fan - so she was just as excited as me to see Tigers and T-34-85s) - Tog II submarine life...

King Tiger:
    gQeVtdph.jpg

One of the last working Tigers in the world (was in the film Fury):
    OzHfyJWh.jpg

MsThirdfox for scale - not sure if that was the actual Sherman used in the Fury movie or not):
    2XOsDb9h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Has anyone watched the excellent dark comedy show 'Peep Show'? If not, it's on ALL4 for free.

Anyhew, read this the other day, this thread reminds me of it:

"Pretend you are Mark from Peep Show by kissing your girlfriend with your eyes open while thinking of the Battle of Stalingrad"

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Seeing as plenty of the guys here seem to like tanks - I can highly recommend the tank museum at Bovington, UK (near Southampton).
    I was hopinmg to go to TankFest this year. I'll go next year.Was literally gonna buy thetickets a day or 2 before they stopped flights.

Regarding tanks...there's a mod in the miltary forum , an irish man who served with the US Cavalary and is now head historian fro the company that owns World of Tanks. And yeah he knows his tanks:)

Here's a video of him talking to one of the head curators from bovington(also an Irishman)at the panzer museum in germany

Continuing the tank line - my grandfather actually was a tank driver (T34-85) back in the Korean war - or as they were taught "War to Resist America and Aid Korea" (nevermind that it was technically a UN taskforce - though the Soviets were boycotting the UN due to Republic of China taking the security council seat instead of People's Republic of China and couldn't use their veto....ah the greys of history).

Luckily he never saw action but he said it certainly wasn't great fun driving one of those machines.

Makes you realise that "history" isn't necessarily all that far away - and hopefully something not to be repeated.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Continuing the tank line - my grandfather actually was a tank driver (T34-85) back in the Korean war - or as they were taught "War to Resist America and Aid Korea" (nevermind that it was technically a UN taskforce - though the Soviets were boycotting the UN due to Republic of China taking the security council seat instead of People's Republic of China and couldn't use their veto....ah the greys of history).

Luckily he never saw action but he said it certainly wasn't great fun driving one of those machines.

Makes you realise that "history" isn't necessarily all that far away - and hopefully something not to be repeated.
    Tanks are literally just a chassy with an artillary gun attached....inside them is seriously cramped, noisy and must of been stressful operating them in during war.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yeah. I've often thought tankers and submariners a kindred lot. Voluntarily stuffing themselves into unwieldy uncomfortable metal boxes that have a major target painted on the side of them on the battlefield and too often served as ghastly coffins. How they get their man parts through the hatches of either is a puzzle. Though those men who flew bombing runs deep into Germany with the odds of a coin toss whether you'd come back... Bravery doesn't begin to describe it. When you see someone like the American actor James Steward drop Hollywood to do it and insist he flew frontline missions it beggars belief.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Fascinating training video from WWII - actual video for US bomber crews - nice Disney animators working away in there too (see 4:04).

And a really good look at the technology and radar/early computers fire control devices.

No mincing words either "it looks tough, it is tough"...

Advertisement