Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Decrypto (Game 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Well done team.

Were your words baseball, bath, driver, music?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

osh wrote: »
    Well done team.

Were your words baseball, bath, driver, music?

Excellent sleuthing there Team 1!

Team 2 should have a guess too.

Even when we thought we knew it was still hard to guess the codes! Got skeiths wrong, and not 100% on final guess.

Thanks for running molly. Went pretty well I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Well done team 1.

Molly..... Molly...... Molly..... Thank you I really enjoyed that!

Will you run this again? Please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Clarabel wrote: »
    Well done team 1.

I’ll happily swap out for molly if she wants to play 2nd game.

• Advertisement

Even when we thought we knew it was still hard to guess the codes! Got skeiths wrong, and not 100% on final guess.

Thanks for running molly. Went pretty well I think.
    Yeah I'm pleased with how it ran. Any changes you would make as someone who has also played the physical game?
    Clarabel wrote: »
    Well done team 1.

If there's interest yeah I'll run it again. It's pretty simple to set up actually. Unfortunately I'm not the showman that Necro or some folk are so the games are severely lacking in pizzazz and fizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I will play again if there is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Great game Molly, I’ll definitely play again

What were their words?

thanks for hosting Molly, great job and it's a great game I never heard of before :)

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm pleased with how it ran. Any changes you would make as someone who has also played the physical game?

If there's interest yeah I'll run it again. It's pretty simple to set up actually. Unfortunately I'm not the showman that Necro or some folk are so the games are severely lacking in pizzazz and fizzle.

Cant think of anything off hand, though its been a good while since I played it. It's a pretty simple game once people have played it once.

It does lose a bit of the tension, being opposite the opposing team, listening to them whispering, working out your clues etc :D But worked well.

I couldn't remember if codes could be repeated, but I see they get shuffled back in the deck to be possibly redrawn.

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »

What were their words?

We had them right G&R

I love how suddenly there's an "oh ****" point in the game, where you have to really try and give clues to throw the other team off.

Any ideas on our words team 2?

Yeah the desperation as the clues get more and more obscure is brilliant. I thought Kolido's last clues were fantastic and I'm really shocked that you guys were able to intercept.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Great game molly, thanks a million.
    In hindsight I think I'd play it quite differently

I'm not sure, but might it work better with one codemaster for the whole game? Honestly don't know, but it crossed my mind

I think the time limit could be much stricter too (I know we were probably the slower team though)
    Any ideas on our words team 2?
    Honestly, I don't think we do. We felt reasonably sure on some going into the last round, but were then completely wrong, so unless you were throwing out a deliberate dud I think we were off

1 - we thought BURGER, but then round didn't go there
    2 - we thought CARD, but expected mother to go there
    3 - we thought DATE until checking the rules and realising you using date as a clue excluded it. Drifted towards ROMANCE, though late on I thought CHURCH
    4 - we were on something like INTERNATIONAL but I think this is the one we were furthest from

Yeah, skeiths last clue was pretty good too. But as soon as I saw screw, I went right that's driver and then tried to fit the drink clue into 1 or 2, even though it didn't really fit either too well. I expect team 2 thought the same!

Tongue
    Bonus
    Funeral
    Stranger

Our words were

1 Tongue
    2 Bonus
    3 Funeral
    4 Stranger

Yeah, skeiths last clue was pretty good too. But as soon as I saw screw, I went right that's driver and then tried to fit the drink clue into 1 or 2, even though it didn't really fit either too well. I expect team 2 thought the same!
    Yeah, I went for screwdriver, that's why I thought you were wrong :p
    Tongue
    Bonus
    Funeral
    Stranger
    Ah, funeral we'd considered, otherwise we were fairly off

Great game molly, thanks a million.
    In hindsight I think I'd play it quite differently

I'm not sure, but might it work better with one codemaster for the whole game? Honestly don't know, but it crossed my mind

I think the time limit could be much stricter too (I know we were probably the slower team though)

I hadn't really thought about timings at all before the game tbh.
    In the physical game you're supposed to do both the intercept stage and the guess stage for both teams basically simultaneously but we never do that when we're playing. We always just go one team at a time to intercept and then guess.

Having one codemaster could work but I think the intention of the game makers was to allow different interpretations of the codewords from each person to get a bigger range of clues. When I last played the game with my sister and her bf we actually tried out just having one codemaster for the whole game and it wasn't great. I like that everyone has to have a go at coming up with clues. It can be incredibly frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

What were their words?

You didn't guess all of them correctly...no ways .nope.

• Advertisement

Yeah don’t think it would work well with just one codemaster per team.

One thing I remembered which we could bring in, is that clues don’t have to just be one word. Eg in the rules, for cocktail, a clue given was “evening with friends”

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I hadn't really thought about timings at all before the game tbh.
    In the physical game you're supposed to do both the intercept stage and the guess stage for both teams basically simultaneously but we never do that when we're playing. We always just go one team at a time to intercept and then guess.

Having one codemaster could work but I think the intention of the game makers was to allow different interpretations of the codewords from each person to get a bigger range of clues. When I last played the game with my sister and her bf we actually tried out just having one codemaster for the whole game and it wasn't great. I like that everyone has to have a go at coming up with clues. It can be incredibly frustrating.

Ah yeah, fair enough. It was just a thought about the codemaster :)

Anyway...

giphy.gif

:pac:

Anyway...

giphy.gif

:pac:

Rematch implies there was a first match

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f2990509d715153f54fecc0ec4815ee515566d79060&rid=giphy.gif

Rematch implies there was a first match

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f2990509d715153f54fecc0ec4815ee515566d79060&rid=giphy.gif
    crack-neck-gif.gif

Yeah don’t think it would work well with just one codemaster per team.

One thing I remembered which we could bring in, is that clues don’t have to just be one word. Eg in the rules, for cocktail, a clue given was “evening with friends”

Yeah funnily enough we never play like that in RL and I thought on the board it could get a bit ridiculous with clues being a 50 word sentence so I thought to limit it to a single word. We could try that out though.

Well would probably work fine if limiting it to just a few words/short sentence. I'd imagine one word clues generally work better anyway

Ready to go again if we have enough. Be good if we could 4 a team too

One thing we wondered, not sure if it is in the rules, is the posibility to have the same keyword multiple ti es in the code. For example, 3-3-4 or 3-3-3

Nope that's not possible, its always 3 unique numbers. There's 24 combinations I believe but you can get the same code again in the same game

• Advertisement

Ready to go again if we have enough. Be good if we could 4 a team too
    Not sure it helped :p

Advertisement