Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden room

• 15-06-2020 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently investigating a garden room for my house in North Dublin. The garden is pretty small so we're not looking at anything huge (max prob 15-20 sqm). I already have a extension (18 sqm) on what is a small garden so a company who wouldn't just plonk a cabin on some blocks would be preferable. Does anyone have a recommendation of companies they've used and had decent experience with (by PM I know)? I've looked at the websites of loghouse/shomera and gardenrooms and whilst the gardenrooms.ie ones look lovely they're quite pricey, however I'm unsure as to whether I'm making a fair comparison with say the cabins on loghouse........if someone could recommend I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

robbe wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently investigating a garden room for my house in North Dublin. The garden is pretty small so we're not looking at anything huge (max prob 15-20 sqm). I already have a extension (18 sqm) on what is a small garden so a company who wouldn't just plonk a cabin on some blocks would be preferable. Does anyone have a recommendation of companies they've used and had decent experience with (by PM I know)? I've looked at the websites of loghouse/shomera and gardenrooms and whilst the gardenrooms.ie ones look lovely they're quite pricey, however I'm unsure as to whether I'm making a fair comparison with say the cabins on loghouse........if someone could recommend I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

If you already have an extension and are now adding the shed just be mindful of the exemption requirements for back garden docs if 25 Sq. M. (Assuming your going the exempted route?)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭robbe

Thanks for replying - any chance you could refresh me on the requirements (yes I would be going the exemption route) - I had thought that the garden room fell into a different Class to the extension? I'd still have more than 25sqm of open space at the back post any garden room I'd be having fitted.

Any recommendations from anyone btw? Some really expensive companies out there by the looks of things and while I want a good job there seems little middle ground between reasonable (but more like a tarted up shed) to premium (in terms of price for sure)?

Cheers

Thanks for replying - any chance you could refresh me on the requirements (yes I would be going the exemption route) - I had thought that the garden room fell into a different Class to the extension? I'd still have more than 25sqm of open space at the back post any garden room I'd be having fitted.

Any recommendations from anyone btw? Some really expensive companies out there by the looks of things and while I want a good job there seems little middle ground between reasonable (but more like a tarted up shed) to premium (in terms of price for sure)?

Cheers

Hose extension max of 40 Sq. M
    Shed extension max of 25 Sq. M
    Then after both you need 25 Sq. M of garden space irrespective of how small both of the above works are.

Grand job cheers - I'll be fine so.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Recommendations of specific companies by PM only. Thanks

• Advertisement

As above - any recommendations would be greatly welcomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

As above - any recommendations would be greatly welcomed!

Me too, would welcome any recommendations also pls

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Granite Head

Me too, would welcome any recommendations also thank you.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Sprints, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine, Therapy, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭mp31

Same here... any recommendations gratefully received. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

Me too, would welcome any recommendations. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭manor

Same here, any recommendations welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 44 redzer_irl

As above - recommendations would be greatly welcomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,542 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Same here, planning to go close to the maximum of 25M2, have enough garden left so it is planning exempt. Like the looks of these duraboard garden rooms from -snip-

snip/

But they need a concrete slab

Open to alternatives / wooden frame garden rooms just sitting on blocks. Any recommendations very welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Any idea what kind of price they go for ?

Yes the 6m * 4m is listed as 8800 incl VAT, delivery and erection

Slab is extra and above is just for the shell, insulation, services are all extra

As nice as all these “modular” or “pop up” sheds look in the company pictures, I feel with a structure of this size, I think you should build traditionally using blocks. It will last your life time. It may cost more.

Get it weather tight and shell and roof complete. You can too away with fitting insulation yourself (your handy with that stuff Unkel ;) ) and you can pick up bits and pieces as you go along. Adverts for left over insulation panels etc
    My 2c.

I can do electric bikes and solar panels, but I'm not handy when it comes to building or mechanical stuff :D But yeah I would be inclined to just have the shell done (possibly plumbing for a toilet / sink) and do the rest myself over time

What is the benefit of block built over those concrete "pre-fab" buildings? My cheap wooden shed lasted over 20 years (still standing) and I do not need this room to last for 50 years (I'll be long dead by then :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

I'm in same boat, so any prices/recommendations welcomed

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KiCi

Same here, been trying to do some research on garden rooms, the different types/options and prices ! Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

Anyone go ahead with this? Would love to get recommendations please. Dublin based.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭onedmc

snor wrote: »
    Anyone go ahead with this? Would love to get recommendations please. Dublin based.

yea love a recommendation also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I went with a local company, its a 5m x 4m wooden cabin and will be installed on blocks.

Just be aware of the lead times. I ordered in August 2020 and it was meant to be installed in December.

Covid has delayed it as construction has halted, so delivery and assembly is uncertain. They will have to clear their backlog before they get to me.

If you order, it could be 6+ months before you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mr Mister

Sorry to resurrect but if anyone has further recommendations on garden rooms, could they please send me a PM? Similar to OP, would be looking at something like a gardenrooms.ie or shomera design, with foundations etc, but ideally not as expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DrNaveedAbbas

I am in a similar situation and would appreciate any help! I myself am thinking of getting a shed with a working bathroom and shower besides a separate living space. Am not sure what the damage on my finances would be on something like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I am in a similar situation and would appreciate any help! I myself am thinking of getting a shed with a working bathroom and shower besides a separate living space. Am not sure what the damage on my finances would be on something like this!

You can't use a garden room as a habitable space, i.e. you can't have people sleeping in it. That would require planning permission which is unlikely to be granted, and would need to comply with building regulations which would make it very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Would welcome any recommendations by PM. Will be looking to get one in Greystones area. Possibly 1/2 storage, half office/man cave.

Also anyone got any photos of their finished or in progress ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 EmmaC1978

I would also be interested in anyone's experience. Thinking of getting a Duraboard shed, 5m x 2.5m, have been quoted €6,250 for shell only and a lead time of November! There seems to be one main place supplying these, but with 2/3 websites? I want something that I can potentially divide down the line if required. Any thoughts/pics greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Panrich

I would also like to get a recommendation for a garden room. I would be looking to use it al year round as a home office and a home cinema room.

EmmaC1978 wrote: »
    I would also be interested in anyone's experience. Thinking of getting a Duraboard shed, 5m x 2.5m, have been quoted €6,250 for shell only and a lead time of November! There seems to be one main place supplying these, but with 2/3 websites? I want something that I can potentially divide down the line if required. Any thoughts/pics greatly appreciated!

That's what I got. Very happy with the result and the build only took 1.5 days (after the slab was poured the week before)

Ordered first week of November, for install early March, but COVID lockdown delayed it until last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 EmmaC1978

unkel wrote: »
    That's what I got. Very happy with the result and the build only took 1.5 days (after the slab was poured the week before)

Ordered first week of November, for install early March, but COVID lockdown delayed it until last week.

Would you be willing to PM pictures/video of your finished result? Just had Alan back out this morning as we're now thinking of going for a 7m shed/garden room combo for our sins! Did you use the two gentlemen he works with for concrete and internal finishes?

Advertisement