Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carne Golf Links

• 15-06-2020 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I am hoping to play 36 holes at Carne. I last played there 8 years ago, the condition of the Kilmore 9 wasn’t quite as good as the original 18.

Does anyone know how it’s playing at the moment? And if you had 36 holes, which 9 holes would be best to repeat? The original back 9 or the new Kilmore 9?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I think they have changed the layout this year so now the Kilmore 9 is included in the standard 18 holes along with the original back 9, not sure what the name of it is. Also not sure if this change went ahead but it was the plan.

If it was my choice I think I would play the old back 9 twice. Has a good mix of everything. I have only played the Kilmore 9 once and not sure on the condition now but hopefully it is better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Played Carne most years for the last 5, every time the "new" 9 greens are just brutal, but I don't go all that way to play just 18 so I end up playing 27 every time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm playing it in September, when i'm up that way for a 3 day Enniscrone trip. Looking forward to it, as i've heard it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Might be controversial - but is Carne a bit overrated ?

I only played it once , yes stunning isolation etc. But you often hear it mentioned it was not it great condition.

I mean your driving past Enniscrone to get there. Played in one of them classics - a bit slow and maybe wind was hardcore , rain, maybe a bit tired and emotional.

But - I can sit here and smile thinking about Ballybunion , Portstewart, Portrush .

One I need to play again clearly. But a long bloody way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I only played it once , yes stunning isolation etc. But you often hear it mentioned it was not it great condition.

I mean your driving past Enniscrone to get there. Played in one of them classics - a bit slow and maybe wind was hardcore , rain, maybe a bit tired and emotional.

But - I can sit here and smile thinking about Ballybunion , Portstewart, Portrush .

I think it's about managing your expectations.

Carne is not Ballybunion, Portstewart or Portrush. It's an almost entirely natural course, built and maintained on a shoestring in a very rural, poor part of the west of Ireland.

I play there every year and I love it, it's my favourite course. I think the story behind it, it's remoteness, the dunes and the genuinely warm welcome one receives really add to the experience. I never go there expecting a very well manicured course, I think that would be foolhardy. It's always a bit rough around the edges and the greens on the new 9 have a ways to go, but I never come away from Carne feeling short changed.

• Advertisement

I think the new 9 have questions over the condition of them but I think they are improving from what I hear.

I play there 5/6 times a year and the old 18 I have found always to be in good condition.

If it was windy and rainy then this may have given you a bad experience. Its a horrible place in the wind and rain but it is a serious test of golf in them.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I think it's about managing your expectations.

Carne is not Ballybunion, Portstewart or Portrush. It's an almost entirely natural course, built and maintained on a shoestring in a very rural, poor part of the west of Ireland.

I play there every year and I love it, it's my favourite course. I think the story behind it, it's remoteness, the dunes and the genuinely warm welcome one receives really add to the experience. I never go there expecting a very well manicured course, I think that would be foolhardy. It's always a bit rough around the edges and the greens on the new 9 have a ways to go, but I never come away from Carne feeling short changed.

I think that is a fair post. And, I am a golfer that loves the quirky unusual courses. Just when you go on one of them big journeys - you are use to something that is Ballybunion , is RCD - that is, what them journeys are for.

I do accept that the ones that are a bit different are far more intriguing and are the ones that grow on you - you have to play them a good few times. The Island can be a bit like that.

But Enniscrone is one of my favorite courses in Ireland - I'm always going to play that on the way. It is always in perfect condition and has a fantastic layout with a great mix of holes.

I'l hit Carne again - but I'm not sure the shoestring , very poor part, rural thing has a role in the various merits of a courses.
    It is admirable , and a great story - but it should come down to the quality of the course at the end of the day.

Portmarnock / Royal Dublin - are urban , wealthy , with no end of course investment. But I'd play Enniscrone or Lahinch every day before them.

I might try head up next spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

I think that is a fair post. And, I am a golfer that loves the quirky unusual courses. Just when you go on one of them big journeys - you are use to something that is Ballybunion , is RCD - that is, what them journeys are for.

I do accept that the ones that are a bit different are far more intriguing and are the ones that grow on you - you have to play them a good few times. The Island can be a bit like that.

But Enniscrone is one of my favorite courses in Ireland - I'm always going to play that on the way. It is always in perfect condition and has a fantastic layout with a great mix of holes.

I'l hit Carne again - but I'm not sure the shoestring , very poor part, rural thing has a role in the various merits of a courses.
    It is admirable , and a great story - but it should come down to the quality of the course at the end of the day.

Portmarnock / Royal Dublin - are urban , wealthy , with no end of course investment. But I'd play Enniscrone or Lahinch every day before them.

Yeah my plan is 36 holes at Enniscrone and 36 at Carne over 3 days. The only other time I played them both, I came away slightly preferring Enniscrone, not because of anything negative about Carne, and I’m not gonna drive 4.5 hours up there and miss out on either of them.

Does mean Rosses Point and Strandhill will have to wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

I was a member in Carne for 2 years, I'm playing golf 30 years. Its totally overrated, some weak holes but it has some magic as well, would I play it again? No!

• Advertisement

kermitpwee wrote: »
    I was a member in Carne for 2 years, I'm playing golf 30 years. Its totally overrated, some weak holes but it has some magic as well, would I play it again? No!

Interesting, are you sure its just the weak holes you have an issue with?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

I have played Carne 5 or 6 times in recent years. It is a course I have come to love. Yes it is an effort to get to but in my opinion it is well worth it. The people are some of the friendliest you could meet and you probably have the run of the course to yourself. The dunes themselves are the most natural and biggest dunes you will see anywhere. I cant wait to get back these actually.

kermitpwee wrote: »

That seems harsh for a course you joined - why did you join it so.

Maybe you do not like Links at all - course like that are not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

strange comment. would be interested to see what courses the poster rates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

There are links courses that you could play each week and there are some that are better for a visit when conditions allow. Similarly, I'd LOVE to visit the international space station but I wouldn't like to live there for the next two years :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Big carne fan. The course. The setting. The people. The history. The dunes. Links for the soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

My understanding is that after years of neglect, the club have been putting time and effort in to the new 9 with regards to conditioning over the last 12 months.

So you should see improvements from that angle. It’s been a while since I visited.

My understanding is that after years of neglect, the club have been putting time and effort in to the new 9 with regards to conditioning over the last 12 months.

So you should see improvements from that angle. It’s been a while since I visited.

I think they were going Marketing the old back nine and the new nine as the "wild Atlantic Dunes Course" and I think this would be planned to come the primary 18 holes. not sure if this went ahead.

going to play there in a few weeks - first time. CANNOT WAIT

etxp wrote: »
    I think they were going Marketing the old back nine and the new nine as the "wild Atlantic Dunes Course" and I think this would be planned to come the primary 18 holes. not sure if this went ahead.

I believe it has, at least as an option on certain days.

For what it’s worth, the design intent was that this composite course plays in the following sequence:

Front nine: 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 5K, 6K

Back nine: 7K, 8K, 9K, 1K, 2K, 3K, 4K, 17, 18

Thanks,
    Ally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

willabur wrote: »
    going to play there in a few weeks - first time. CANNOT WAIT

What rate did you get?

I believe it has, at least as an option on certain days.

For what it’s worth, the design intent was that this composite course plays in the following sequence:

Front nine: 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 5K, 6K

Back nine: 7K, 8K, 9K, 1K, 2K, 3K, 4K, 17, 18

Thanks,
    Ally

I think I would like that configuration. The 18th is a fantastic finishing hole I think so hopefully it stays as the finishing hole.

Yep, we are playing 36 holes in a day, first 18 holes are the ‘Wild Atlantic Dunes’ and then I’m hoping the second 18 will be the original front 9 plus whichever 9 I preferred in the morning, if they’ll let me choose!

What rate did you get?

80 quid for 27 holes

etxp wrote: »

I always thought the 3rd and the 8th holes were simply magnificent. A shame if they are squeezed into the 'other' nine

willabur wrote: »
    80 quid for 27 holes

Similar. €55 for each 18 holes I think, slightly discounted for the ‘day’ rate

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭avud

Thinking about playing Carne at end of this month. Any updates on what's available regarding the old and new courses and recommendation if possible the best 18 if I'm allowed to pick between both. Any ideas of green fee rates also.

avud wrote: »
    Thinking about playing Carne at end of this month. Any updates on what's available regarding the old and new courses and recommendation if possible the best 18 if I'm allowed to pick between both. Any ideas of green fee rates also.

I am here at the moment. It’s the longest I’ve been away since we built the new nine and the really positive news is that after years of neglect, the new head green-keeper has worked wonders with the conditioning over the last 18 months, to the extent that they gave the Wild Atlantic Dunes course its debut at the Pro-Am last week.

Not sure on green fees but the way things are setup, you should have a choice on which course you want to play. You really should play all 27 though.

I am here at the moment. It’s the longest I’ve been away since we built the new nine and the really positive news is that after years of neglect, the new head green-keeper has worked wonders with the conditioning over the last 18 months, to the extent that they gave the Wild Atlantic Dunes course its debut at the Pro-Am last week.

Not sure on green fees but the way things are setup, you should have a choice on which course you want to play. You really should play all 27 though.

Is the 27 holes in really good condition? Greens? Fairways? Tees?

• Advertisement

bailey99 wrote: »
    Is the 27 holes in really good condition? Greens? Fairways? Tees?

Was always the greens on the “new” 9 that was the weakest link, everything else was always there every time I played it

Advertisement