Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf Membership Dublin

• 14-06-2020 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi All. Myself and 2 firends are looking to join either Grange Castle or St Margaret's this month. Both are doing good deals at the moment. Played both courses and I think Margaret's would be slighly better but Grange Castles is still very nice. The main factor for us is being able to get on the tee sheet at the weekends. We have heard it can be very busy. We are flexible to play either Saturday or Sunday. Ideally would like to get out in the AM sometime. I was just wondering if anyone is a member of either club and has any feedback on what its like? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Paddy1404 wrote: »
    Hi All. Myself and 2 firends are looking to join either Grange Castle or St Margaret's this month. Both are doing good deals at the moment. Played both courses and I think Margaret's would be slighly better but Grange Castles is still very nice. The main factor for us is being able to get on the tee sheet at the weekends. We have heard it can be very busy. We are flexible to play either Saturday or Sunday. Ideally would like to get out in the AM sometime. I was just wondering if anyone is a member of either club and has any feedback on what its like? Thanks.
    I inquired about Grange Castle myself and they sent me back a price and a payment plan. It was reasonable enough but I decided against it. This was 2 weeks ago I think. It has now gone up 700 euro on the full membership.
    So nearly 2k a year for Grange Castle is not great value at all imo

What side of the city are you based?

I inquired about Grange Castle myself and they sent me back a price and a payment plan. It was reasonable enough but I decided against it. This was 2 weeks ago I think. It has now gone up 700 euro on the full membership.
    So nearly 2k a year for Grange Castle is not great value at all imo

Sorry I got that wrong. It's 1750 till March 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Paddy1404

What side of the city are you based?

Based out in Deansgrange myself. Other two are in Lucan and sandymount.

Sorry I got that wrong. It's 1750 till March 2022.

Yep Grange Castle doing 1750 till Mar 2022 and Margarets silver is 1750 till end of Dec 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

I'm a member of St. Margaret's. The timesheet is an issue for me. Gets filled up very quickly once it goes live. Its been like that since I joined a few years ago. I'm generally quite flexible with my time, so I will get on but it can be a struggle getting the time you want or if you want to play in a group. Saying that, the course is always in good condition, the club are very welcoming and the vast majority of members are sound

I'm a member of St. Margaret's. The timesheet is an issue for me. Gets filled up very quickly once it goes live. Its been like that since I joined a few years ago. I'm generally quite flexible with my time, so I will get on but it can be a struggle getting the time you want or if you want to play in a group. Saying that, the course is always in good condition, the club are very welcoming and the vast majority of members are sound

Thanks for that. Do you find it a struggle for the full days at the weekend. Would be happy in summer to go late afternoons if needed. How do you find it during the midweek in summer and weekends in winter?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Thanks for that. Do you find it a struggle for the full days at the weekend. Would be happy in summer to go late afternoons if needed. How do you find it during the midweek in summer and weekends in winter?
    Thanks

Pre lock down the competition timesheet would run to 11ish and 1 on a Sunday. Saturday afternoon would normally have societies out and the ladies comp runs on Sunday afternoon. I'd normally only play once a week midweek after work but midweek there's no issue getting out when you want. Winter is much the same unfortunately. Reduced daylight puts pressure on people wanting to get out. I'm conscious that I've presented it in a negative light. But if you aren't fussy about when you play and who you play with you'll always get a spot somewhere. They have a waiting list once it gets full. I've never not got out when on standby

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭capefear

Any one know how much dun laoghaire is to join and what it’s like,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I left Grange Castle about 4 years ago over weekend timesheets, especially Saturdays. At that time I think members only had timesheet guaranteed to about 9.30, then ladies till 10, then it was open house for societies, visitors, etc...

That may have changed since, as i said, was 4 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 NedBagg

capefear wrote: »

I think Dun Laoghaire is around €2500 per year mate but there is also a joining fee (not sure how much that is) you have to be proposed and seconded by members etc etc... as far as I know.. Its a nice enough golf course.. I have played it a few times but has no real wow factor IMO... Always thought it wasnt as good as it could have been with the footprint they had.. The club house on the other hand is like a 5 star hotel... Fantastic..

I left Grange Castle about 4 years ago over weekend timesheets, especially Saturdays. At that time I think members only had timesheet guaranteed to about 9.30, then ladies till 10, then it was open house for societies, visitors, etc...

That may have changed since, as i said, was 4 years ago

Thanks for that. Are you a member anywhere close to there? We are open to other clubs but would like to keep the membership around 1000-1200 for the year.

Pre lock down the competition timesheet would run to 11ish and 1 on a Sunday. Saturday afternoon would normally have societies out and the ladies comp runs on Sunday afternoon. I'd normally only play once a week midweek after work but midweek there's no issue getting out when you want. Winter is much the same unfortunately. Reduced daylight puts pressure on people wanting to get out. I'm conscious that I've presented it in a negative light. But if you aren't fussy about when you play and who you play with you'll always get a spot somewhere. They have a waiting list once it gets full. I've never not got out when on standby

Thanks for that. Ye we wouldn't be overly fussy with time we get to play. Not pushed on the comps at the start if we can't get a time for them. Main thing would be getting a time for the 3 of us.

Thanks for that. Are you a member anywhere close to there? We are open to other clubs but would like to keep the membership around 1000-1200 for the year.

Joined Castlewarden instead, member owned and run, never any societies out at the weekend, except very late in the day in the summer.

Membership around 1100, they have a limited number of lifestyle members, which is for under 40s, and around 850 for the year. Usually a waiting list for this option.

Also have a walled garden with a practice chipping green, and put in a driving range on site within the last 2 years

It's a few extra KMs out the N7 from Grange Castle

Joined Castlewarden instead, member owned and run, never any societies out at the weekend, except very late in the day in the summer.

Membership around 1100, they have a limited number of lifestyle members, which is for under 40s, and around 850 for the year. Usually a waiting list for this option.

Also have a walled garden with a practice chipping green, and put in a driving range on site within the last 2 years

I've played that course a few times. Very nice layout and facilities. I actually emailed them this morning to ask for some more information on their memberships. How do you find it up there now?

I've played that course a few times. Very nice layout and facilities. I actually emailed them this morning to ask for some more information on their memberships. How do you find it up there now?

Loving it there. Enough of a challenge, but if you play good golf you'll score well.

Investing well in the course, just finishing up a 5 year bunker refurb plan. Greens are a in great condition (as are most places though I'm sure at the moment)

They do a pro-am every year, and take the pros advice on the course layout and make changes, so a number of trees were removed where they weren't adding any value to the layout or impacting on the growth of other trees

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭JoeCole26

Hi, bit of a sidetrack here but thought best place was in here rather than a new thread. I have a friend up on Sat 27th June and looking to get out somewhere for a round near Dublin. Proving difficult with the current restrictions but wondering if anyone knows anywhere who might take two GUI guests 2 days before next phase. Tried the K Club but no luck unfortunately
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Hi, bit of a sidetrack here but thought best place was in here rather than a new thread. I have a friend up on Sat 27th June and looking to get out somewhere for a round near Dublin. Proving difficult with the current restrictions but wondering if anyone knows anywhere who might take two GUI guests 2 days before next phase. Tried the K Club but no luck unfortunately
    Thanks

Play your home course??

Alternatively if you know a member of a club you should be able to get out as their guest. Other than that probably best to just ring around and see what they say.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

capefear wrote: »

I was a member of Dun Laoghaire until last year, left due to moving to North Dublin. It's €2,500 plus €500 for the bar no joining fee. I loved it, great course and facilities. Would have stayed if I didn't move house.

That said it's not cheap and you need to play to make the most of it. Never had an issue getting out on a Saturday. Sunday can be busier

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

NedBagg wrote: »
    I think Dun Laoghaire is around €2500 per year mate but there is also a joining fee (not sure how much that is) you have to be proposed and seconded by members etc etc... as far as I know.. Its a nice enough golf course.. I have played it a few times but has no real wow factor IMO... Always thought it wasnt as good as it could have been with the footprint they had.. The club house on the other hand is like a 5 star hotel... Fantastic..

Oddly I didn't like the clubhouse! Looks great from the outside but poorly designed with wasted space and doesn't flow properly. I love the course but think they made a mess of the par 3s in the design

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Thanks

Corballis are welcoming visitors https://t.co/XOvxEv1urX?amp=1

Similar situation to spacecoyote, I was in Grange castle up until about a year and a half ago and have since moved to castlewarden. Grange castle just got frustrating with losing most of Saturday morning to societies and if you went out after them you were guaranteed a 4+ hr round. Delighted with the change the castlewarden, challenging course, good practice facility and a much better club house atmosphere for a small bit more a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Dazzler0911

willabur wrote: »
    Corballis are welcoming visitors https://t.co/XOvxEv1urX?amp=1

Cheers for that...do you know any other courses in the Dublin/Wicklow area open for visitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Myleftpeg

I was a member in Bray GC about 2 years ago and loved it. Always time in evenings and weekends. It can be a killer if walking and carrying, especially on the hot days but it's cheap enough to join

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭julio arca

Old Conna is just down the road from Dun Laoire. No more than 5 minutes from either the N11 or M50. The course is immaculately kept and i would recommend even if some of the holes are a little repetitive. I think membership varies from €1,550 - €1,750 per annum depending on the option.

ronnoco13 wrote: »
    Similar situation to spacecoyote, I was in Grange castle up until about a year and a half ago and have since moved to castlewarden. Grange castle just got frustrating with losing most of Saturday morning to societies and if you went out after them you were guaranteed a 4+ hr round. Delighted with the change the castlewarden, challenging course, good practice facility and a much better club house atmosphere for a small bit more a year.

Thanks for that. It looks like we will apply for Castlewarden membership. They are doing membership till the end of the year for just under 800 which I don't think is great considering 3 months of that is winter so we will look to join from Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Myleftpeg wrote: »
    I was a member in Bray GC about 2 years ago and loved it. Always time in evenings and weekends. It can be a killer if walking and carrying, especially on the hot days but it's cheap enough to join

If you live anywhere nearby, Bray is a lovely track (I've never played it in winter, but based on its layout there shouldnt be any drainage issues, however I'd imagine it gets very exposed and potentially very wet and windy!)

There was also no real issue getting out in the evenings last summer/spring (was a Jnr Cup host)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fran83

Palmerstown doing membership for 2k untillthe end of December 21'

750 for the rest of the year

Great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 NedBagg

Thanks for that. It looks like we will apply for Castlewarden membership. They are doing membership till the end of the year for just under 800 which I don't think is great considering 3 months of that is winter so we will look to join from Jan.
    U could try Killeen Paddy... just up the road from Castlewarden.. Think it is €1500 until end of next year... cheaper if u are under 35 I think.... all clubs very busy at the moment... 2k is good for Palmerstown.. great golf course.. best par 5s anywhere..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭REFLINE1

GreeBo wrote: »
    If you live anywhere nearby, Bray is a lovely track (I've never played it in winter, but based on its layout there shouldnt be any drainage issues, however I'd imagine it gets very exposed and potentially very wet and windy!)

There was also no real issue getting out in the evenings last summer/spring (was a Jnr Cup host)

+1, joined Bray recently, very happy so far and the offer a wide range of memberships including a beginners for people who haven't been members before or had a GUI hcap.

Advertisement