Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Making female friends in Dublin...

• 14-06-2020 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi

Im a 30 year old girl and I moved up to Dublin just under 2 years ago to live with my bf.

I love Dublin but as I’m not originally from here all of my friends are home in donegal and I find I have no real friends/a good friendship circle in Dublin. I also work at the other side I Dublin to where I live so I love all the people I’ve met at work but it’s hard to meet up with them outside work as it can be a trek.

I miss having friends to do stuff with and have over for wine nights etc.

I have tried joining girl crew and meet up but I didn’t find meet up too great and girl crew app has been discontinued so is there any other suggestions?

I’m hoping to join w local musical theatre group nearby once it starts up.

Or anyone else in the same position even! ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Definitely recommend the musical society thing, a very large proportion of my friends are through shows and theatre related things (courses, awards weekend etc). What part of the city are you in, I know of four societies (off the top of my head) in the Dublin region that don't open membership for women often due to numbers. And unfortunately it's going to be a long wait for societies to start back. Though maybe consider an online choir for now, I'm in one and it's great fun.

Are you sporty? Things like running groups can be great, and are going on now. Also if you're into a particular sport you could quickly make friends at games etc when they open up again.

Would you consider a night class of some kind? Some of them can be really sociable.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭clo1

Caranica wrote: »
    Definitely recommend the musical society thing, a very large proportion of my friends are through shows and theatre related things (courses, awards weekend etc). What part of the city are you in, I know of four societies (off the top of my head) in the Dublin region that don't open membership for women often due to numbers. And unfortunately it's going to be a long wait for societies to start back. Though maybe consider an online choir for now, I'm in one and it's great fun.

Are you sporty? Things like running groups can be great, and are going on now. Also if you're into a particular sport you could quickly make friends at games etc when they open up again.

Would you consider a night class of some kind? Some of them can be really sociable.

Good luck!

Im in Harold’s cross looking into the Inchicore Kilmainham society as they have been in touch wi th me and looks like they will be holding auditions at some point for new members but yes will be delayed with Covid no doubt. Is there online choirs. ? That sounds interesting!

I enrolled in a tefl course and I’m currently doing it online and was hoping I’d meet people through it but because it’s now online it’s hard to make friends organically like it would have been if the course had ran in the language school in Dublin.

Thanks for the encouragement though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

KIMS are a good bunch and do take new members. HXT would be closer to you but they have a very lengthy waiting list afaik.

If you search for "Virtual voices with Shane" on Facebook you'll find the choir I'm in, and I know at least one member of KIMS who's in it too. It's free and open to join, rehearsals are at 8 on Mondays and Thursdays on Zoom. The music isn't always 100% my cup of tea, but it's great to sing. We release weekly recordings, this week was "Thankful" by Josh Groban and was dedicated to front line workers. He does a mix of all kinds of song types. Will find out later what this week's song will be.

Caranica wrote: »
    KIMS are a good bunch and do take new members. HXT would be closer to you but they have a very lengthy waiting list afaik.

If you search for "Virtual voices with Shane" on Facebook you'll find the choir I'm in, and I know at least one member of KIMS who's in it too. It's free and open to join, rehearsals are at 8 on Mondays and Thursdays on Zoom. The music isn't always 100% my cup of tea, but it's great to sing. We release weekly recordings, this week was "Thankful" by Josh Groban and was dedicated to front line workers. He does a mix of all kinds of song types. Will find out later what this week's song will be.

Yes I reached out to them as well and they weren’t looking for members at the time sadly,

Oh that’s sounds great actually. I know it’s through zoom as opposed to in person but it would be nice to have something to have until societies and clubs can start meeting in person again. I’m going to search that choir now.

Thanks a mill for the advice it sounds great!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Floricwil

Have you tried Girl Crew? They’re on Facebook and organise get togethers very regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 smarie101

Hi there,

Im in a similar situation being from the country and now living in Dublin.

I am based in Harolds Cross also, let me know if you would like to get a coffee some time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

We did some meet-ups and dinners etc on here in the past, they were good but you really need to do them regularly and they’re a lot of work to organise.
    I think you’ll find a lot of women on here in same boat, I’ve just never been able to form long lasting / close female friendships full stop so I can’t help at all :pac: but forums on boards specific to your interests even might be a good place to start. All forums used to do regular meet ups but I don’t think they’re really a thing anymore.

smarie101 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Im in a similar situation being from the country and now living in Dublin.

I am based in Harolds Cross also, let me know if you would like to get a coffee some time.

For sure!!

Advertisement