Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Sick

• 28-07-2017 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

The Big Sick is way better than those trailers made it look! And thats from someone who usually detests those Judd Apatow comedy films, this was a really good one. Highly reccomended.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Thought it was good. Thought her parents and the stuff with his family were far more interesting than the central romance. As with every Apatow film the girl is kind of annoying. Even when they try to make them funny as opposed to shrill, they're still only funny in response to the man's funniness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Really enjoyed this. Well worth a cinema trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Very good thoughtful movie. Best jokes are in the trailer. Overall not that funny but really good story and acting. Good to see a well written female character in an Apatow movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,434 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not a very wide release which is a huge shame. It's not in any cinema in Limerick. I was looking forward to it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

It's well worth a watch
    Bo Burnham's character is very good, as is Ray Romanos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Not sure it's quite worth of all the praise it's getting but I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

It was very entertaining for the first 90 mins or so, and then it started really dragging and took away a lot of the goodwill I felt for it. What is it with Judd Apatow movies, they just go on and on and repeat the same bloody situations over and over! I liked Zoe Kazan in Ruby Sparks (a very good movie) but she is starting to annoy me a bit now and I was glad she was in a coma a lot of the time for this film! I like Kunail, especially when he is being very droll, but he actually did a few nice bits of acting in this too. The other comedians with him annoyed me...just safe, "like me, like me" comedians with no edge...hipster stand up...my nightmare....urgh!!! Ray Romano was his usual bumbling self (I don't know what he was saying half the time) and Holly Hunter was good too (but there is something about her that just really scares/intimidates me!).

7/10 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I don't think any (well most) comedies should be longer than 90 minutes, really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mr E wrote: »
    Not a very wide release which is a huge shame. It's not in any cinema in Limerick. I was looking forward to it too.

Maybe that'll change.

https://twitter.com/kumailn/status/893173000127885312

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Big Sick is way better than those trailers made it look! And thats from someone who usually detests those Judd Apatow comedy films, this was a really good one. Highly reccomended.

How is Apatow connected to it?

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    How is Apatow connected to it?

He's the producer!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,434 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nope, no joy. :(

Girls Trip back for a second week, despite being absolutely trashed, and All Eyez On Me has been in for 3 or 4 weeks - is Tupac really that popular?

Sigh.

It seems to be having less showings this weekend if anything, cineworld is only showing it past 5pm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mr E wrote: »
    Nope, no joy. :(

Did an online chat with Odeon earlier and asked re Limerick. The rep said their listings are updated every Tuesday.

• I saw the Big Sick last night. I laughed more in that than I do in a lot of other comedies. Some absolutely excellent lines -
    the exchange between Ray Romano and Kumail Nanjiani about 9/11 and Kumail's reply of "we lost 19 of our best" got such a loud belly laugh from me

Now that I'm thinking about it afterwards, with some time to process, what I feel that the movie is at it's best when detailing the relationship between Kumail and Emily, Kumail and his family, Kumail and Emily's family. But a lot of it fell into typical Apatow shtick of heavily scripted improvised-sounding dialogue that doesn't sound at all natural to anybody else, except Apatow himself. Sure, he was tied on as a producer, but those scenes were where his fingerprints were found.

This was most evident with the interactions of the other comedians and their backroom "banter".

So... see it if you want to see a movie with some likable characters and great quips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I went to see this last night on the back of a recommendation from a friend.
    I have to say, this is one of the best movies of 2017. As of right now, come award season, I'd put it in the best movie bracket.
    It's such a good movie. It's probably the best comedy I've seen in about 3 years, to call it just a comedy, would be a disservice, it’s more than that, but it never stops being funny. The last time I was this genuinely surprised by a film was back in 2014, when I watched an Argentinian film called Wild Tales.

The comedy is just so subtle, it bobs along, and then smacks you in the face with something hilarious. There’s one scene,
    the X-File girl at the dinner table
    , where I actually recoiled with surprise and then burst out laughing. The whole thing is just littered with excellent comedic beats throughout the whole movie. It’s also got so much heart, a unique story which asks important questions about our current climate and culture, which is handled in a very good-natured way. It’s got a longish runtime, running at about 2hrs, but it never feels long, which is a credit to its centric characters. After the last scene,
    it’s revealed that this is actually based on a true story, which is a very nice surprise, because, you know a lot of elements from this story were taken from real life experiences.

Seriously, if you’re stuck for something to watch in the next few weeks and want to kill some time, do yourself a favour and watch this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

kerplun k wrote: »
    As of right now, come award season, I'd put it in the best movie bracket.

Bet you five bucks it won't get a look in.

Bet you five bucks it won't get a look in.

It's a bet I wouldn't be willing to take:)
    Most of the big hitters wont be released until later in the year, but as of now, its one of my favorites.

One thing I can guarantee, when people look back on 2017, this will be among peoples favorites, it will make 2017 top ten lists, ones you missed lists, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭sporina

Q - was the only reason that Emily decided to go to see Kumal was because her parents said that they were going back home?

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    Q - was the only reason that Emily decided to go to see Kumal was because her parents said that they were going back home?

No, I don't think so. I think she just had time to decompress, recover and reflect on the situation, after everything had settled, she decided to give it a chance and went to NY to see him.

No, I don't think so. I think she just had time to decompress, recover and reflect on the situation, after everything had settled, she decided to give it a chance and went to NY to see him.

no i mean directly after her Mum told her that they were going home, she when to visit him in the theatre - when he was with his brother - before she knew he was going to NY - seemed very fitting that she should go visit him just after her mother said they were going back (and she was not happy about this).. and she said that she had something to say to him but when he said that he was going to NY she said "oh i just wanted to thank you" - and the last encounter she had had with him was at her party - when he poured out his heart to her - and she basically said "nope not going to go through that again"..

suspicious me thinks

sporina wrote: »
    no i mean directly after her Mum told her that they were going home, she when to visit him in the theatre - when he was with his brother - before she knew he was going to NY - seemed very fitting that she should go visit him just after her mother said they were going back (and she was not happy about this).. and she said that she had something to say to him but when he said that he was going to NY she said "oh i just wanted to thank you" - and the last encounter she had had with him was at her party - when he poured out his heart to her - and she basically said "nope not going to go through that again"..

suspicious me thinks

Yeah, could be. Hard to argue with your take on it.
    But... I prefer my interpretation that she just realised that she was in lurve with him. :D

Yeah, could be. Hard to argue with your take on it.
    But... I prefer my interpretation that she just realised that she was in lurve with him. :D

fair play to you..

i was very disappointed with the movie - I thought that it was gonna be a bit better than the average romantic comedy but some of the scenes were cringe worthy - Kumail being the biggest offender

I thought that it was gonna be a bit more serious - like an independent movie - my expectations were skewed from the start

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I loved The Big Sick, without a doubt my favourite of the year so far. It's being named by many as a contender for a Best Picture nomination. A win is unlikely I'd imagine, but I'd love if it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

On RTE tonight at 12

Advertisement